Can someone please help me with my computer?

webcamjenna

CAGiversary!
Everytime I start up my computer, right before it gets to the Windows XP Logon screen it reboots by itself. Can someone please help me figure this out?
Any help is appreciated.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

try putting in the windows xp install cd b4 logon and using the repair function. sounds like either a system file or a driver is corrupted.

Yeah, try to use a Windows repair. Or go into Windows in Safe Mode, probably with your network turned off. At least then you should be able to get in.

Before doing anything drastic see if you can boot in safe mode (jam the F8 key after the bios start-up stuff to get the menu.)

[quote name='Quackzilla']If you can shaq-fu up windows XP that bad u are too stupid to own a computer.[/quote]

Uhh... not really. Its more bad luck than anything else usually.

Yeah tap F8 at startup to get into safe mode, then when it loads click START, RUN, type MSCONFIG, click OK, click on the STARTUP tab (top right) and click on DISABLE ALL at the bottom, this will remove all the junk that loads at windows startup and hogs your memory, possibly causing some sort of software conflict as well, none of that stuff needs to be loaded there.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='Quackzilla']If you can shaq-fu up windows XP that bad u are too stupid to own a computer.[/quote]

Uhh... not really. Its more bad luck than anything else usually.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a virus that was going around. It just reboots by itself endlessly. Anyways if you managed to post this then that's pretty good. But there's a whole bunch of sites online that can help you , or of course listen to these guys on CAG.

[quote name='Quackzilla']If you can shaq-fu up windows XP that bad u are too stupid to own a computer.[/quote]

You're an idiot.

most likely you are just screwed...

there are some ok disc recovery programs out there..

I suggest you invest in a new HD...

also does your HD make any funky noises? Your most likely problem is a dead drive and you have bad sectors that causes windows to just die

If your overclocked, slow things down. That's typically a problem of the CPU or memory having issues. Make sure your CPU fan is working. My Soltek was turning itself off for a while, before I realized I was lucky the CPU wasn't toast. Switching out the CPU, memory, and HD would be the best way to figure out your problem, though you may just need to reformat your HD. The best thing to do before wiping your drive would be buy another HD, do a fresh install of XP and see if you still have a problem. If not, just copy any important data from the original drive to the new one, then use the new drive as a backup.

Hope some of this helps.

Ok do this,

If the computer has been moved reciently it could be a memory problem. Make certain that it is all seated correctly.

It might be heat related: How hot is the computer? Have you recently added any new video cards, are all of the fans working? Any of these problems could casue the machine to reboot randomly.

WHat happens when you bring the machine up and don't start windows, does it reset? If it does then you have a hard ware problem.

If you want help why don't you start by giving us your complete specs and what exactly have you done to your pc in the past week.

If you want pc help you need to start being specific.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='JimmieMac']Way to go Uncle Joey[/quote]

umm its uncle jesse[/quote]

That's cool. I'm glad that I don't know who the guy is from Full House.

It's like if I got a Backstreet Boys song title wrong, aint no shame in that.

The shame is in the knowing.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='JimmieMac']Way to go Uncle Joey[/quote]

umm its uncle jesse[/quote]

That's cool. I'm glad that I don't know who the guy is from Full House.

It's like if I got a Backstreet Boys song title wrong, aint no shame in that.

The shame is in the knowing.[/quote]

how is there shame in trivial knowledge?

think of all the useless crap you or anybody else knows

We're talking windows XP here man... my XP likes to create its own bugs without my help!

wel, you managed to be just as stupid without fucking up windows. seriously, thats one of the dumbest things ever. im pretty good with my pc and can fix most probelems, but a month after i bought my pc, windows crashed and died. i had to reformat and reinstall everything. i dont know how it happened, probably just because of xp deciding to suck.

Not really if you breath wrong you can fuck up windows XP it's just that easy .

hey I had the same problem with this computer about a year ago and I took it into the geek squad and they fixed it all up.

if nothing works u can just format the hard drive and install a fresh copy of windows. unless u have really important files in which case u need to take it to a technician but that is usually costly.

[quote name='MorganWebbLover'][quote name='Quackzilla']If you can shaq-fu up windows XP that bad u are too stupid to own a computer.[/quote]

Not really if you breath wrong you can shaq-fu up windows XP it's just that easy .[/quote]

This isn't true. XP is easily the most stable Windows version out there. It is leaps ahead of the previous versions. Maybe you have this problem MWL because your breath is just that bad.

I can't believe you people are complaining about winxp. Like defender says, probably one of the best versions out there. Win2k is pretty good too in my opinion.

feel free to install WinMe

WINME was a horrible windows version..I stick with win98 for years till XP hit and been XP ever since

my next version will be FreeBSD and I wont look back at the MS world again...I am converting all my desktops to BSD 5.x

I went from 98 to XP as well, although I had 98 with 2000 updates or whatever and it was actually more stable than XP has been for me... which is strange because people always tell me how messed up 98 is...

XP is nice though, no need to mock it.

bread's done
Back