Can someone tell me how to tell the difference between all of the PS3's

HELLAWAITS

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to get a PS3 (like at a PawnShop 'cause they got LayAway) so I want to get me a 60 GB 'cause it's Backwards compatible , right? OK so far so good ... the thing is everytime I go to check on them PS3's I gotta ask someone there "what's the size of the HD on that one ? and what about the others?? " you got the idea , so I want to know how to be able to know just by looking at them , got it?? can someone help me? please , Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The only true way to tell without looking at the hard drive is looking at the model number, 60 GBs sport a CECHAxx model code, old 80 GB sport a CECHExx model code. I'm not sure if you can check the code without the box, though. The only main difference is the 60 Gb and old 80s have 4 USB ports, new 80s have two. But, you really can't tell the difference besides that.

Thanks for the info , it helps a lot.
Wich one got the mem card reader (it has like four slots for sd cards, produo , and some others)

Units with Wifi : 60gb, 80gb(all), 40gb
Units with mem card reader : 60gb, old 80gb
Units with 4 usb : 60gb, 20gb, and old 80gb
PS2 compatability : 60gb (full), 20gb(full), old 80gb(mostly)
PS1 compatability : ALL
I currently have a 20 gb I stood in the rain for on launch night/day and a new 80gb one. Don't ask why i have 2.

[quote name='Dolemite1']Units with Wifi : 60gb, 80gb(all), 40gb
Units with mem card reader : 60gb, old 80gb
Units with 4 usb : 60gb, 20gb, and old 80gb
PS2 compatability : 60gb (full), 20gb(full), old 80gb(mostly)
PS1 compatability : ALL
I currently have a 20 gb I stood in the rain for on launch night/day and a new 80gb one. Don't ask why i have 2.[/QUOTE]

I was aware of the differences in PS2 compatability, but never knew all were PS1 compatable, interesting.

This helps

mcu72p.jpg

The 60gb model, (or the 40gb) models have Super Audio CD capability, on the top of the PS3, you can see if it has Super Audio CD capability - Outside of the original 60gb and 40gb systems, that feature was taken out.

UPDATE: I stand corrected, the 40gb does not have Super Audio CD, only the 80gb model and the original 60gb models.

found a chart here, that can help you... print it and take with you while you're shopping.

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147564

[quote name='Thomas96']The 60gb model, (or the 40gb) models have Super Audio CD capability, on the top of the PS3, you can see if it has Super Audio CD capability - Outside of the original 60gb and 40gb systems, that feature was taken out.

UPDATE: I stand corrected, the 40gb does not have Super Audio CD, only the 80gb model and the original 60gb models.

found a chart here, that can help you... print it and take with you while you're shopping.

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147564[/quote]
The 20GB also has SACD support.

bread's done
Back