Can This Be Opened & Put Into A PS3 Slim?

It's the correct size you're looking for (which is 2.5"), but I can't find any info about the drives RPM in that link. So it could run the risk of overheating your PS3.

^i believe so but why not just get a internal hard drive? i think 7200 is better for the ps3 (not a 100% sure).

5400 is perfect. I'm sure Seagate has some of their own software on the drive, so you might want to completely reformat it first, but yes, you should be able to just take it out of the case and put it in your PS3.

Just make sure to back-up whatever you want from your PS3 and be very careful not to strip the screws while replacing the HDD.

[quote name='ManuGinobili']^i believe so but why not just get a internal hard drive? i think 7200 is better for the ps3 (not a 100% sure).[/QUOTE]The original HDD that the PS3 comes with runs 5400 RPM, so 7200 is just overkill.

[quote name='PimpLimp']5400 is perfect. I'm sure Seagate has some of their own software on the drive, so you might want to completely reformat it first, but yes, you should be able to just take it out of the case and put it in your PS3.

Just make sure to back-up whatever you want from your PS3 and be very careful not to strip the screws while replacing the HDD.

The original HDD that the PS3 comes with runs 5400 RPM, so 7200 is just overkill.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will buy it and watch some videos on reformatting and putting in the hard drive!:D

[quote name='mitch079']Sounds like it. You'd have to format it as a FAT32 but the PS3 should take care of it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will research that, too!:D

[quote name='PimpLimp']The original HDD that the PS3 comes with runs 5400 RPM, so 7200 is just overkill.[/QUOTE]

The HDD issues go a bit beyond RPMs. I feel the bigger the cache the better it will perform. Small or similar sized cache on a faster drive will under perform. Since the PS3 is limited by SATA 1.5 speed doesn't matter as much but a faster write speed and bigger cache will be noticeable. Speed alone doesn't make it worth going to 7200 rpm, double or quadruple the cache and then you've got some benefit.

bread's done
Back