[CAN] Walmart Anniversary Sale

Cthulhu8u

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just came back from Walmart, they're having a big anniversary sale starting today.

I bought Singstar Pop (w/o mikes) for $10, plus Singstar 80s with 2 mikes for $30. They had most of the Singstar series for these prices. I also saw an XBox bundle (a non-HD version) for $177. There were also a bunch more games deals.
Wish I had more details, but I lost the flyer while shopping :bomb: If anyone has one, maybe they can post some more info.

Almost forgot, they had their DS's down to $100

EDIT: Singstar with mics are actually $20. Also, someone posted a similar thread before I did. Sorry I missed it. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Skardee']Did you seriously spell it mikes? >_>[/quote]

*SIGH*

Microphones
smiliebleh7qp.gif

I picked up Brain Age 2 for $15, so that was sweet. I almost got Unreal Tournament 3... but held off, and luckily I found it at Rogers for $21 after the 30% off.

Oooh, with the eventual feature of being able to add Singstar PS2 songs to Singstar PS3, I need those Singstars. Thanks for the alert.
EDIT: Looks like they have 5 different Singstar PS2 games for 9 bucks. I know where I'm going tomorrow :)

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']*SIGH*

Microphones
smiliebleh7qp.gif
[/quote]

Mics.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Oooh, with the eventual feature of being able to add Singstar PS2 songs to Singstar PS3, I need those Singstars. Thanks for the alert.
EDIT: Looks like they have 5 different Singstar PS2 games for 9 bucks. I know where I'm going tomorrow :)[/quote]

WHAT. WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT. SHAQ FU SHAQ FU SHAQ FU SHAQ FU SHAQ FU.

ARE YOU TELLING ME I CAN TRANSFER MY SINGSTAR SONGS FROM THE FIRST GAMES TO THE PS3 ONE??!?!?!?! ARE YOU EFFING fuckING SHAQ FU SERIOUS!?!??!?!?!???????????????????????????????????????

Sorry me and my friends like to karaoke when we get wasted, and having more is ALWAYS better. And if that feature is to be implemented I might just pick 'em all up :D.

[quote name='kathos']ARE YOU TELLING ME I CAN TRANSFER MY SINGSTAR SONGS FROM THE FIRST GAMES TO THE PS3 ONE??!?!?!?! ARE YOU EFFING fuckING SHAQ FU SERIOUS!?!??!?!?!???????????????????????????????????????[/quote]

Hey, how can you say fuckING without it turning into fuck.

EDIT: Oh I get it, CAPS LOCK. Don't mind me, carry on :D

[quote name='heimdal']Hey, how can you say fuckING without it turning into fuck.

EDIT: Oh I get it, CAPS LOCK. Don't mind me, carry on :D[/quote]

Oh man I rushed back to this thread thinking my question was answered.

fuckING!

Haha, sorry mods, I'll stop now. :D

[quote name='Azumangaman']Oooh, with the eventual feature of being able to add Singstar PS2 songs to Singstar PS3, I need those Singstars. Thanks for the alert.
EDIT: Looks like they have 5 different Singstar PS2 games for 9 bucks. I know where I'm going tomorrow :)[/QUOTE]

Totally forgot about that feature. It does make the deal better if I ever plan to get it for PS3!
Not sure that the DS is a hot deal, seems others are selling at the same price, and EBG has a trade 3 deal too

I don't know if it's been mentioned on RFD (I really hope not) but the 80's, 90's, and Pop editions trade for more than eight dollars at EB and that could help out nicely with the three for free weekendthat going on right now

[quote name='E-DuB']I don't know if it's been mentioned on RFD (I really hope not) but the 80's, 90's, and Pop editions trade for more than eight dollars at EB and that could help out nicely with the three for free weekend this weekend[/quote]

*head explodes*

[quote name='E-DuB']I don't know if it's been mentioned on RFD (I really hope not) but the 80's, 90's, and Pop editions trade for more than eight dollars at EB and that could help out nicely with the three for free weekend this weekend[/quote]

Actually could I get source on this? I can't find 'em anywhere (the TIVs).

[quote name='kathos']Actually could I get source on this? I can't find 'em anywhere (the TIVs).[/quote]
There COULD be some credibility to that as, on www.tivs.ca the 80's and Pop version are over $8 but haven't been updated in a long time...especially the Pop version. Try your luck I guess?

EDIT: Quick question to you Singstar owners, would it work with a PS3? I assume the mics are just USB (hopefully), and I'm sure the games will work on my B/C 60GB PS3. Just wondering because it might be a good addition to Guitar Hero, Rock Band infested house parties :)

[quote name='kathos']Actually could I get source on this? I can't find 'em anywhere (the TIVs).[/quote]

I traded in three copies of each today and paid off Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Street Fighter 4 Collectors, so I'm pretty sure they work

[quote name='Zing']Too bad PS2 games don't worth for the EB free DS deal. :([/QUOTE]

Going through all that trouble (finding games and such for the trade in) isnt worth it, if you cant find them at Walmart for $100 and if you live in the gta, pm me.

[quote name='kathos']Going through all that trouble (finding games and such for the trade in) isnt worth it, if you cant find them at Walmart for $100 and if you live in the gta, pm me.[/quote]

Blockbuster has six games to trade in for DS' at EBs for $50-80 at most.

[quote name='Placebo']Blockbuster has six games to trade in for DS' at EBs for $50-80 at most.[/QUOTE]

Really? you must have a good BB, mine is constantly empty on stuff except rental stuff, maybe its the concentration of rfd people in the area.

[quote name='AJD23']There COULD be some credibility to that as, on www.tivs.ca the 80's and Pop version are over $8 but haven't been updated in a long time...especially the Pop version. Try your luck I guess?

EDIT: Quick question to you Singstar owners, would it work with a PS3? I assume the mics are just USB (hopefully), and I'm sure the games will work on my B/C 60GB PS3. Just wondering because it might be a good addition to Guitar Hero, Rock Band infested house parties :)[/quote]

Aren't trade ins mostly restricted to next gen games now? There may be some exceptions, not sure if Singstar PS2 counts.

Tried it on my 60GB PS3, game and included mikes mics work fine. I don't think that non-Singstar mics would work though. Spend the $20 and get a set with the 2 included, better safe than sorry.

[quote name='supergrover99']Is Singstar Pop Vol. 2 $10 as well or just the earlier releases?[/quote]

Just the original Pop plus Amped, 80's & 90's. I think Rock is also included...

[quote name='supergrover99']Is Singstar Pop Vol. 2 $10 as well or just the earlier releases?[/quote]

I took the flyer down to the Best Buy next door and I PM'd Singstar 90's bundle, 80's game, Amped game, and Pop vol. 2.

I think I got lucky on the vol. 2, so YMMV. The cashier called up Wal-Mart, but didn't confirm the prices (on vol. 2 specifically).

PM's bundle = $15.71, game = $7.81.

Grand total of $44.23! Super hot if you ask me. The bundle itself was $49.99 regular. Going to head to FS after work today to pick up Rocks and Pop vol. 1.

Makes me feel better about returning the buy the bundle, get a standalone free for $49 that was on 2 months ago at BB.

[quote name='E-DuB']I traded in three copies of each today and paid off Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Street Fighter 4 Collectors, so I'm pretty sure they work[/quote]

call-in my ebgames, they say it doesn't work since it's ps2 :cry:

Does anyone know how decent the 32" RCA LCD HDTV is that's on sale for $497.77? I don't have an HDTV yet, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth picking up for that price? It's rediculously cheap... but I don't know ANYTHING about HDTV.

[quote name='craig64']Does anyone know how decent the 32" RCA LCD HDTV is that's on sale for $497.77? I don't have an HDTV yet, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth picking up for that price? It's rediculously cheap... but I don't know ANYTHING about HDTV.[/quote]

I bought a 27" a while back for $549 at FS. It's an Envision (by AOC), and pretty good for the price. Of course the picture quality is not the greatest. The way I saw it, the price was right for a 720p TV that will not be my main one (great as a bedroom TV).

Also, I think FS & BB have had similar sales before, so it's not really a unique sale price for that size.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not going to be getting it now. It just seemed like such an awesome price for a 32". I figured RCA would be good, but thanks for the help guys. (The strange thing was that Walmart didn't even have these on display at all).

[quote name='Placebo']Blockbuster has six games to trade in for DS' at EBs for $50-80 at most.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I bought enough games to get 3 DS systems a few months ago. It's still basically the same deal since you buy 3 games for $30 (buy 2 $15 games and get 1 free) and then pay $30 to EB. It's just that I am not in the mood to go see what BBV has, then go to EB and get all the trade-in values, then go back to BBV and hope they have enough games.

I bought 4 copies of each Singstar game: Pop, Rocks, Amped, 80s. I wasn't aware there was a Pop Vol. 2, since neither of the two Walmarts I went to had it. Every one of the games were $9.83. There were no DS systems at either store.

[quote name='habsfan08']call-in my ebgames, they say it doesn't work since it's ps2 :cry:[/quote]

You just have to hit the right store and deal with the right associate, I guess.

As others have mentioned, RCA = teh suck. Right now, Samsung is one of he best quality vs. cost mix.

Any of the A330 series is good up to 720p (or 1080i). The 530 series does really nice 1080p.

[quote name='craig64']Does anyone know how decent the 32" RCA LCD HDTV is that's on sale for $497.77? I don't have an HDTV yet, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth picking up for that price? It's rediculously cheap... but I don't know ANYTHING about HDTV.[/quote]

[quote name='Lockescythe']meh. Lemme guess the etobicoke location is empty.[/quote]

Yuuuuup.

Although I did find treasure there last week, Hitman Trilogy collection for $19.99. :D

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Aren't trade ins mostly restricted to next gen games now? There may be some exceptions, not sure if Singstar PS2 counts.

Tried it on my 60GB PS3, game and included mikes mics work fine. I don't think that non-Singstar mics would work though. Spend the $20 and get a set with the 2 included, better safe than sorry.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. Most EBs will not accept anything that is not DS/PSP/WII/PS3/360 however, there are some which will still take anything except GBA/PC. I know of a few EBs that still accept them if you're in the GTA. If not, then good luck to you :) So YMMV for whether or not they will accept the singstar bundles/games.

Personally I've paid off Fallout, Gears, Fable, Littlebigplanet, Left4Dead, GH4, and will have NBA and FIFA by next week.

I'm faintly interested in picking up the SingStar titles super-cheap, girlfriend definitely wouldn't mind...we'll see. Hopefully I'll get lucky on Pop v.2 also :)

Thanks for the tips guys.
Cheers.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Just the original Pop plus Amped, 80's & 90's. I think Rock is also included...[/quote]

[quote name='Rex']I took the flyer down to the Best Buy next door and I PM'd Singstar 90's bundle, 80's game, Amped game, and Pop vol. 2.

I think I got lucky on the vol. 2, so YMMV. The cashier called up Wal-Mart, but didn't confirm the prices (on vol. 2 specifically).

PM's bundle = $15.71, game = $7.81.

Grand total of $44.23! Super hot if you ask me. The bundle itself was $49.99 regular. Going to head to FS after work today to pick up Rocks and Pop vol. 1.

Makes me feel better about returning the buy the bundle, get a standalone free for $49 that was on 2 months ago at BB.[/quote]

Thanks for the information guys. I tried to pick up pop vol. 2 but, it wasn't scanning for $10. Can't wait to belt out ace of spades though ;)

[quote name='halcyon1234']As others have mentioned, RCA = teh suck. Right now, Samsung is one of he best quality vs. cost mix.

Any of the A330 series is good up to 720p (or 1080i). The 530 series does really nice 1080p.[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know. Any info is awesome right now. I'll look into some Samsungs... but are Sharp's good at all?

Sharps are supposed to be good, but I don't know... every one I've seen on various sales floors looked like crap. There was a lot of ghosting (fast moving objects leave behind a "trail" for a few milliseconds, almost like you're watching two overlaid pictures, and one is just slightly out of sync with the other), or the resolution was choppy (you could see splotches of color all over the place, or chunks of artifacts).

A lot of the TVs on the floors are also improperly setup, and the color/brightness is all out of whack. Don't be afraid to grab the remote and mess around with the Picture settings.

FWIW, Sony's are supposed to be the top of the line. However, each one I saw side by side with a Samsung didn't look as nice. And they tend to be 40%-200% more expensive for the same thing!

[quote name='craig64']Thanks for letting me know. Any info is awesome right now. I'll look into some Samsungs... but are Sharp's good at all?[/quote]

[quote name='halcyon1234']A lot of the TVs on the floors are also improperly setup, and the color/brightness is all out of whack. Don't be afraid to grab the remote and mess around with the Picture settings.[/quote]

Agreed, except that playing with the settings on the sales floor shouldn't be the only basis. Lighting in-store is probably way different than your home (unless you have 60 foot ceilings :mrgreen:) so the pic quality might still look like crap.
Playing with the settings does help you see what the TV is capable of as far as adjusting the pic quality. If the settings seem limited in changing the TV's appearance even in-store, then you probably won't be able to do much to improve the picture at home either.

In reality though, no $500 TV will give you a lot of leeway in setting the picture better, they're just too cheap. In that price range, just buy something reliable that has the least ghosting and PQ issues, plus a decent amount of inputs. Try to stick to name brands, and Google some reviews.

[quote name='halcyon1234']Sharps are supposed to be good, but I don't know... every one I've seen on various sales floors looked like crap. There was a lot of ghosting (fast moving objects leave behind a "trail" for a few milliseconds, almost like you're watching two overlaid pictures, and one is just slightly out of sync with the other), or the resolution was choppy (you could see splotches of color all over the place, or chunks of artifacts).

FWIW, Sony's are supposed to be the top of the line. However, each one I saw side by side with a Samsung didn't look as nice. And they tend to be 40%-200% more expensive for the same thing![/quote]

i don't know if Sony's are really top of the line for LCDs. the best bet is to read some opinions from avsforum. sony may have the most expensive lcds and the best designs (the glass frame is nice :), but that doesn't necessarily make them the best.

i personally thought that sharp is the best selling LCD maker. and their lag issues should be the least of the brands since they have very low response times (4ms). on the other hand, most sony lcds i've seen have response times of 8ms so fast moving objects will probably leave a trail. i'm not too sure about samsungs because when i was investigating tvs, i found opinions were generally 1) sharp 2) samsung/sony. the easy solution, would be to buy a plasma instead :D

Well, I have a stack of Singstars that are effectively useless since none of the EBs around me will accept them in trade for any of the promotions. I will keep them for a few weeks to see what new promotions come up.

I did manage to Futureshop pricematch a crimson DS, Singstar 90s (none at two different Walmarts around me), and a Singstar Microphone bundle (FS sells these for $60, so it ended up being $13 after adjustment). If anyone is looking to get the Singstar Mic bundle, now is the time. $13! Crazy!

[quote name='ikariwarriors']All the SingStars were completely ravaged at my Walmart, too bad![/quote]

Try checking Real Canadian Superstore, they marked their Singstar's down to $10 too.

Oh, I agree with you on the Sony's. Their quality is rapidly dropping, and their prices are rapidly increasing.

Plasmas are better for fast motion. However, their power consumption is greater than an LCD, and they pump out more heat. Aside from that, Plasmas tend to beat out LCDs side-by-side.

avsforums is great. Curt Palme's site and forums are great too, but there is a (justifiable) bias towards CRT and projectors there. =)

I also found this site really helpful:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

They have a Tom's Hardware-esque "top 10" list-- though I didn't find it overly useful as most of their top 10 products were panned by other sites. Googing for "product name review" is still the ultimate resource. =)

[quote name='ju5tbringit']i don't know if Sony's are really top of the line for LCDs. the best bet is to read some opinions from avsforum. sony may have the most expensive lcds and the best designs (the glass frame is nice :), but that doesn't necessarily make them the best.

i personally thought that sharp is the best selling LCD maker. and their lag issues should be the least of the brands since they have very low response times (4ms). on the other hand, most sony lcds i've seen have response times of 8ms so fast moving objects will probably leave a trail. i'm not too sure about samsungs because when i was investigating tvs, i found opinions were generally 1) sharp 2) samsung/sony. the easy solution, would be to buy a plasma instead :D[/quote]

The people who comes into the store who actually know what they're getting usually get a Samsung or a Sharp Aquos. Also the sales guys swear by the A550 from Samsung for gaming (even though it's expensive we used it to demo out the PS3 and 360).

Also yeah check reviews, I'd say start at the A550 and pan out from there.

[quote name='kathos']The people who comes into the store who actually know what they're getting usually get a Samsung or a Sharp Aquos. Also the sales guys swear by the A550 from Samsung for gaming (even though it's expensive we used it to demo out the PS3 and 360).

Also yeah check reviews, I'd say start at the A550 and pan out from there.[/quote]
That's the model I have been waiting for to get a price drop for so long now.
I bought the previous year model at an auction really cheap, but when I came home to plug it in it didn't work, and that's when I learned never to buy a TV from an action again. Now I have a huge TV that just sits there to look pretty.

Samsung makes my favorite HDTV's, they always seem to have the best quality. And every store I go, it's always a Samsung being displayed with the play/test console which just make me love it more.

bread's done
Back