Can wireless be added to 20GB model later?

icruise

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
With PS3s in such short supply, I know that a lot of people are considering getting the 20GB model simply because that's all they could find. I'm curious, though, if it will be possible to add wireless networking to the 20GB model with an external device similar to the Xbox 360's. I don't really care about the card reader and the hard disk can be upgraded, but if the 20GB model is stuck without wireless it would make it somewhat less attrative to me. The main reason I care is that I think the PSP connectivity using wireless sounds like it's going to be pretty cool, and I'd hate to be locked out of using that if I did get a 20GB model. Does anyone know what the answer is?

You really don't want wireless when using gaming systems. It is half duplex (can only send or receive data, cannot do both) and things can get laggy. I will take wired anyday over wireless.

The only exception is if you are in a room that does not have an available cable. Then wireless is really your only option.

The PSP is more of a portable device, so wireless networking would be a must for me on it

I'm not sure you understand what I'm talking about. There is a feature on the PS3 that allows you to use your PSP to access pictures and video stored on your PS3 and (eventually) allowing it to be used in games. But you can't do this without wireless, since the PSP is wireless.

[quote name='icruise']I'm not sure you understand what I'm talking about. There is a feature on the PS3 that allows you to use your PSP to access pictures and video stored on your PS3 and (eventually) allowing it to be used in games. But you can't do this without wireless, since the PSP is wireless.[/QUOTE]

SOL on that for now.Im sure they will think of a way in the future but as of right now it's not something that HAS TO work.

[quote name='harrygetsoff']You really don't want wireless when using gaming systems. It is half duplex (can only send or receive data, cannot do both) and things can get laggy. I will take wired anyday over wireless.

The only exception is if you are in a room that does not have an available cable. Then wireless is really your only option.

The PSP is more of a portable device, so wireless networking would be a must for me on it[/quote]

Then why does wireless gaming work fine with PSPs and DSs?
I've never had a problem with wireless gaming even on a home console with an adapter.

If the signal is strong enough, I'd go with the wireless.
I do have one question though, does the 60GB model even have an ethernet port?

[quote name='icruise']I'm not sure you understand what I'm talking about. There is a feature on the PS3 that allows you to use your PSP to access pictures and video stored on your PS3 and (eventually) allowing it to be used in games. But you can't do this without wireless, since the PSP is wireless.[/quote]
Sorry bout that. Damn, that is cool about PSP accessing the PS3 though. Didnt know that :applause:

[quote name='dallow']Then why does wireless gaming work fine with PSPs and DSs?
I've never had a problem with wireless gaming even on a home console with an adapter.

If the signal is strong enough, I'd go with the wireless.
I do have one question though, does the 60GB model even have an ethernet port?[/quote]

You're right, most of the time you will be ok and not experience any issues with wireless. My wii is online and is fine. But, the signal is susceptible to disruption from local devices and if you use encryption, you will get some performance degradation. From my experience, gaming consoles do not play well with WEP and/or WPA. If you are close to the access point and don't use encryption, you will probably be ok. You still run the risk of packet collision due to half duplex. Loss packets=lag

I am currently using a linksys wireless gaming adapter on my 20gb PS3 and it works great. You could say that half duplex is bad and all, but the fact that most people have a 1.5 - 3 meg connection while their router transmits several times that speed makes this basically irrelevant.

Doesn't that just simulate a wired connection, though? I would think that the PSP connection feature wouldn't work with that.

It wont connect to the PSP, you do lose that. Personally I am not a hand held person so i could care less about the PSP connectivity, but if thats your thing you may want to wait for the 60gb version.

[quote name='harrygetsoff']You're right, most of the time you will be ok and not experience any issues with wireless. My wii is online and is fine. But, the signal is susceptible to disruption from local devices and if you use encryption, you will get some performance degradation. From my experience, gaming consoles do not play well with WEP and/or WPA. If you are close to the access point and don't use encryption, you will probably be ok. You still run the risk of packet collision due to half duplex. Loss packets=lag[/quote] To the quoted poster, you're a complete idiot. Wireless isn't half-duplex. It's full-duplex. :roll:

WPA and WEP add overhead into the transmission of information, though the real bottleneck is your connection out to the Internet.

The main issue with any wireless network is how many devices you have, and if you're mixing 802.11B and 802.11G devices. If your network is 802.11G only, then you'll have an easier time of it than a mixed network. Also, having quite a bit of devices on your network talking to a single access point or router could cause slowdowns because the AP or the router isn't keeping up with everything going on.

To the OP, wireless can be added through an wireless bridge or wireless access point connected to the PS3's Ethernet port. The 60GB has an internal 802.11B/G card. If the 20GB doesn't have the internal connection for the wireless card, then it can't be added in the future. If it does, then in theory, a wireless card from a dead 60GB could be added to a 20GB. Voiding your warranty all the way, of course.

My Xbox and PS2 are connected to a wired switch (because my AP only has 1 Ethernet port) which is connected to a wireless access point running in bridge mode. Works perfectly OK for XBL.

The PSP media connection is sort of nifty, but it's only for certain content stored on your PS3, right? I mean you can't stick in a DVD and watch that on your PSP, can you?

If you can do that, I may actually get the wireless model, as I'm sure I'd use that at some point.

[quote name='Puppy']The PSP media connection is sort of nifty, but it's only for certain content stored on your PS3, right? I mean you can't stick in a DVD and watch that on your PSP, can you?

If you can do that, I may actually get the wireless model, as I'm sure I'd use that at some point.[/quote]

Nope you can't watch DVD's like that. Though you could rip it on your computer, then transfer it to your PS3 and then watch it as a video file on your PSP.

And remember everyone, you don't always need a super strong signal to play games online. It also depends on how the developers decide to handle things that can affect performance.

[quote name='Puppy']I mean you can't stick in a DVD and watch that on your PSP, can you?
[/QUOTE]No you can't, although you can apparently view videos stored on the hard disk.

Darn. In that case, that's no better than just watching stuff on my iPod. Oh well. Saves me $100!

That is one of the things I'm hoping they add to an update in the future though I haven't heard anything from Sony on that. Still would be cool.

bread's done
Back