Can you get a cell phone repaid with no time limit on minutes?

gargus

Banned
My grandma asked me to find her a cheapy cell phone with like 100 minutes just for like emergencies or when she goes out. I looked at like walmart and such and they had like 10 dollar samsung phones but I couldnt find any that had unlimited use on time with no plans. They would only last like 90 days and you had to buy a new card to activate and she doesnt need to spend 20 bucks every couple months, thats to much hassle for her.

I just dont know shit about prepaid phones and such.

T-Mobile has a prepaid plan in which if you add $100 in funds the minutes will last for a year. Every year thereafter you need to add at least $10 to keep the minutes from expiring.

Virgin Mobile, ATT Prepaid, and Verizon Prepaid, along with the TMobile prepaid all have the 1 year expiration card for $100. Other than that, there is nothing where the time won't just run out. As long as you add money every year though (if you choose the $100 card) you will never lose that money you put on there. Virgin runs off of sprint's towers and is 20cents per minute. ATT/Verizon obviously run off their own towers and are 25cents per minute when you choose to do the pay by the minute plan.

Page Plus minutes last for 120 days. Sounds like she could get by with a $10 card every four months, which works out to 10¢ per minute (plus a 50¢ monthly charge for the service). They share Verizon's network so coverage is great.

[quote name='Sporadic']Won't a phone with no minutes still be able to contact 911? I could have sworn that was the case.[/QUOTE]

Sporadic's right. Any cell phone, even one without service, can dial out to 911.

bread's done
Back