Can you reccomend some PC games?

legendarypegasus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
My crappy laptop finally kicked the dust and I was forced to use some of my clinic funds to buy a new PC. Of course being a gamer, I made sure to buy one that would be able to play games. Its got 3.2 Ghz, 1 GB ram and a 256mb video card (don't know which one, I fogot), so to my understanding I should be able to play most games.

I have never played a game on the PC before, so I'm really lacking in knowledge of PC games. I know I'll probably pick up Warcraft 3, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Sims 2 and Rome: Total War, as they are universally praised by most people.

I don't have and internet connection in my apartment, so MMO's are out of the question as are games which can only be really enjoyed online.

I am pretty ambivalent about FPS, I'm sure I would enjoy the finest of the genre, but I don't want to play any that aren't extremely good. Sp what FPS's repersent the best the genre has to offer?

What are the best dungeon crawlers out there? A friend claims that Neverwinter nights and the Baldur's Gate series are the best ones out there, any truth to this? Any others you think are good?

What are great games are out there?

Thanks for the help.

Half-Life 2 is for me the best FPS you can pick up for your PC. I has great graphics and gameplay. Just started Quake 4 and it is good so far. I have aslo installed Call of Duty 2 but haven't played it yet but did play the demo and it was good. I have heard good things about F.E.A.R. but have not played or bought it yet. These are all good for single players with no connection required.

Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter are made by Bioware and they are the best RPGs ever created. I personally love Baldurs Gate. If you get it then get them all as you can transfer characters from the first to the second. Also pick up Fallout and Fallout 2 for the best post-apocalyptic RPGs ever.I would also ge the following :

RTS/Strategy :
Freedom Force
Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich
Rise of Nations
Starcraft
Homeworld 2
Tropico
Civilization 1-4
Age of Empires
Command & Conquer : Red Alert 2
X-Com
X-Com : Terror From the Deep
Heroes of Might and Magic 1-3
Colonization
Battle for Middle Earth
Dawn of War
Sacrifice
Age of Wonders 1 and 2

RPGs:
Arcanum
Anachronox
Diablo
Diablo 2
Icewind Dale 1 and 2

Shooters :
Half-Life 2
Half-Life
F.E.A.R.
Unreal Tournament 2004
Painkiller
Serious Sam 1 and 2
Farcry
Call of Duty 1 and 2

Adventure :
The Dig
The Secret of Money Island
Monkey Island 2 : LeChucks Revenge
The Curse of Monkey Island
Quest For Glory : So You Want to Be a Hero?
Quest For Glory : Trial by Fire
Quest For Glory : Wages of War
Quest For Glory : Shadows of Darkness
Escape From Monkey Island
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Kings Quest 1-6
Return of the Tentacle

Misc.
Freelancer
Thief
Thief : 2
Thief : Deadly Shadows
Mechwarrior 4
The Political Machine

[quote name='headpiece747']Half-Life 2 is for me the best FPS you can pick up for your PC. I has great graphics and gameplay. Just started Quake 4 and it is good so far. I have aslo installed Call of Duty 2 but haven't played it yet but did play the demo and it was good. I have heard good things about F.E.A.R. but have not played or bought it yet. These are all good for single players with no connection required.[/QUOTE]

I agree, half life 2 is a life changing game. However, regular connections to the internet is required (once a week) in order to play. So, if you can get a connection occasionally, HL2 would be ok.

[quote name='greenbags125']I agree, half life 2 is a life changing game. However, regular connections to the internet is required (once a week) in order to play. So, if you can get a connection occasionally, HL2 would be ok.[/QUOTE]

Once a week? What for? Steam updates? You don't need them to play. You need to connect once initially and that is it.

You don't HAVE to update, just the first time you install the game. BUT, if you are online when you boot HL2 up, you'll be forced to update, and if you cancel the update, you won't be able to play until the update is complete. So, if you don't want to have to update constantly, simply make sure your ocnnection is disabled when you load the game (especially helpful if on 56k, those downloads are pretty big). And as for what I can recommend, try Call of Duty 2. It looks amazing on my Radeon 9600 Pro, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when I run it on my brand-spanking new Geforce 7800GT next week (it's in the mail).

combatpc.jpg
blood2.jpg
solder.jpg

Combat Task 121, Blood 2 the chosen, SOF II........

Deus Ex (1 and 2, though 1 more than 2)
Tron 2.0
No One Lives Forever 2

all of them are older and fairly cheap, but they are all pretty good (with Deus Ex being one of the best games ever, and NOLF 2 being one of my all time favorites)

Fate is supposed to be a good dungeon crawler

but it don't get better than eq2. I began playing in January and haven't looked back

Half Life 2
Doom 3
Fear
Far Cry
Star Craft
Diablo2
The longest Journey
Warhammer 40k
Quake4
Half Life 1
Age of Mythology
Rise of Nations
Sacred
Avoid any The Sims
Sim Tower is awesome

I've played 100s of PC games, I just cant remember them anymore...

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Deus Ex (1 and 2, though 1 more than 2)
Tron 2.0
No One Lives Forever 2

all of them are older and fairly cheap, but they are all pretty good (with Deus Ex being one of the best games ever, and NOLF 2 being one of my all time favorites)[/QUOTE]

Oh man, how could I leave those off my list! Those there are classics especially Dues Ex. That game is like an FPS RPG mix. Can't lose by playing it. The second is meh.

bread's done
Back