Can you return a gift card?

Miken21

Banned
I bought an applebees gift card from a drug store for my brother, but he is an asshole so I didn't give it to him. I'd love to exchange it or return it for cash. I know the obvious answer is to check the receipt, but I am not home and I'm mad now. lol

I'm 95% positive you can't. At the store where I bought mine you can't.

They activate at the register, and I don't think you can deactivate them. Also, they would have to call and check the balance to be sure it didn't change, something they're unlikely to do.

Regardless, you get a meal at Applebees now that you weren't going to have.

Nope, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you can sell it to someone else.

[quote name='wuxbustah8'] I don't think you can deactivate them.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the reason as to why, since it's impossible for the store to deactivate the card.

It's also the reason why most stores either put a notice with the gift cards or on the receipt that gift cards are non-refundable.

[quote name='Miken21']I bought an applebees gift card from a drug store for my brother, but he is an asshole so I didn't give it to him.[/QUOTE]

What did he do?

[quote name='blindinglights']What did he do?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as well.

As for the return- nope. Those gift cards are handled by a 3rd party company (Blackstone does the ones where I work). That means the people who sold it to you activated it remotely with that company's automated system. They can't access it to deactivate it, so no refund.

Sell it or have a night out.

bread's done
Back