Can you tolerate going to the movie theatre?

Yeah, The Dark Knight was the only midnight/opening day premiere I've been to that wasn't completely AIDs because everybody was actually interested in the movie and not what's going on outside of the movie or with their pals.

I had someone who wouldn't stop talking when i went to see Star Trek, unfortunately they were with me so i couldn't do anything.

I remember seeing Hellboy after it had been out for a while really late at night, i was the only person in the room, was so cool. Nobody's phone going off, bags being crunched, just me and the movie.

You have a fist. Quit being a fragile white girl and punch that honkey out.

I don't even respond to my girlfriend if she asks me a question during a movie. Just pretend I didn't hear her and don't even look at her in the eye. :cool:

[quote name='tiredfornow']You have a fist. Quit being a fragile white girl and punch that honkey out.

I don't even respond to my girlfriend if she asks me a question during a movie. Just pretend I didn't hear her and don't even look at her in the eye. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Oh believe me I wanted to either punch the guy, tell him to shut the fuck up or just walk out... but I think the movie made me feel like walking out than the guy next to me. He claimed to his buddies he was a bit drunk.. great just great...why the fuck do people come to the movies DRUNK?!!? So they can go back and say, I was so drunk that I couldn't remember so I am going back to see it again??!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a matinee: they are cheaper, less crowded, and assholes generally only come out at night. Last time I went to a movie on friday night, I showed up 20 mins early and ended up in the 4th row.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']That's fricking genius. They need to bring those to CA, ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Its really changed the way I look at theatres. Im spoiled now.. lol

Also theyve had "Muvico" here for years.. its really not in the same ballpark.

[quote name='ITDEFX']A bit of what I experienced from the midnight crowd of Transformers last night.

Found a good spot near the front of the theater because apparently 90% of the teenagers who bought there tickets ahead of time decided to start a wait line at 9pm so they can get a good seat. Coming in at 10:45 and waiting 20 mins for them to let us in was not a problem for me to find a good seat.

20 minutes of having a great spot ended up being ruined when a bunch of college kids were too lazy to walk around and decided to jump over the seats to their spot.

The guy next to me kept on:

-Checking his text messages every 45 seconds for the first 40 mins of the movie.

-Every * cool * scene he kept on either Fisting the screen kept on saying "Mike, Mike...did you see that? That was fucking awesome!!" and he said that to his friend who was 5 or 6 seats to his left. Each time he did this he jerked his chair. Who the fuck FISTS the screen during a movie!??!?!

-Every fucking time he and the rest of the audience saw Megan fuck, they went nuts. Shut the fuck up already. Come on, we have seen hotter women that her.

-He also went nuts during the scenes just before Devistator merged... kept on saying "Devistator......oh man I can't wait!!!"

And that was JUST that movie! :(

Here is some of the things I have experienced from the audience over the years.

-Check text messages/texting during the movie... that light can be so distracting when sitting near an asshole like this.

-Making loud comments about every scene in the movie.

-Couples bringing their babies to rated R movies/horror movies.

-A retarded black couple decided to change their baby's diaper during AvP1 and stuff the dirty diaper in the cup holder 2 seats to my left... enough for me to notice. I would hate to have been the one to have had to clean up that screen that day :(

-Spilling popcorn all over the floor.

So I guess FISTING the screen and Texting during the movie are my two newest gripes about going to the movies in the last two years.

Probably the two movies I have been to who had well behaved audiences were The Dark Knight and Star Trek.

I am starting to not want to see movies on their opening day/midnight showings anymore... too many fucking idiots with no respect towards other movie goers. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I can not stand regular theatres anymore.... CINEBISTRO ftw

[quote name='Koggit']theatres make a ridiculous amount of money (box office records being broken every year it seems) and that's not gonna change in the foreseeable future

plenty of people, like me, much rather see a movie with an enthusiastic crowd than with a small quiet group in private.. plus the sound systems cannot be beat. i prefer comedies and horror movies in theatres because the crowd's reactions make it more enjoyable, and i prefer action movies in theatres because size/sound matters. i'd gladly pay $12 to really enjoy a movie in a theatre than $6 to watch it at home, and obviously millions of others share that sentiment or we wouldn't have theatres..[/QUOTE]

You're assuming that the theater gets an equal or great share of the box office receipts. This is not true. A movie can open very strongly and be a business disaster for the theaters.

The typical business arrangement between the theaters and studios/distributors has the theater pocketing only 10% of box office receipts the first week of release. The theater also gets a minuscule off the top chunk of the revenue for basic operating expenses but this is typically not even break even for the cost of running the venue including personnel.

Concession stand revenue isn't shared with the studio, so it represents a major portion of the theater's real revenue. As high as 50%. Where the big money from the movie itself comes in is if it manages to continue drawing a large audience several weeks into its run. This is because the theater gets to keep a larger portion of the box office receipts, typically a 10% increase per week until it reaches 90%, as the movies continues to run.

This is why the business section of the paper pays so much attention to opening week grosses. Movies that open big are the cash cows for the studios. Movies that bring people back for repeat viewings are the big wins for the theaters. Thus something that opens big and drops off quickly is a serious loser for the theaters. I call this a 'wheelchair blockbuster' because it's has a lot of power initially but has no legs.

A year that produces a lot of wheelchair blockbusters can have the studios doing great while the theaters struggle to survive.

If you go to summer blockbusters or a genre flick, then prepare for talking. If you go to art house or foreign films, you almost never get people talking during the film. To be honest, you rarely see anyone else in the theater.

I saw The Hangover this afternoon. 5 people total in the theater, excellent experience. The movies was only OK, but at least everyone behaved.

[quote name='neocisco']I saw The Hangover this afternoon. 5 people total in the theater, excellent experience. The movies was only OK, but at least everyone behaved.[/QUOTE]

what was that scene in MIB where Agent K says to Jay before he becomes an MIB...

" A person is Smart... People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals. You know it."

So as long as there is no groups of 3-5, you should haven't a de-evolved group of monkeys shitting on your movie going experience. I am paying 9-12 dollars to see the movie on the big screen with big sound...not to hear you fart, check your text messages, or FIST the screen! :bomb:

I love it. Can't beat the big screen. I have a 50" TV, surround sound etc. and still love going to the theaters.

I seldom have a bad experience with crowds as I try to go to either very late showings or go on a week day afternoon or weekend morning etc. I also seldom go on opening nights or weeks. Rather wait 2 or 3 weeks for crowds to die down.

Ticket prices have went up, but $10-12 doesn't bother me and I've never bought food or drink very often so increases on those have been moot for me.

[quote name='DrFoo']All the theaters I usually go to have stadium seating (avoiding the tall person in front of you issue), are well maintained (rarely have sticky floors), and are easy to smuggle food/drinks into (avoiding the concession stand). I also just go to movies a week or two after they are out and at times tickets are cheaper to avoid overcrowded theaters. Maybe one in ten times I go someone SLIGHTLY annoys me by texting or having their ring tone go off once or twice. I try to see as many movies as I can in theaters.

I don't know where these hell hole theaters you all go to are, but all the theaters I've been to in the Midwest have been at least reasonable. Even the old dollar theater I went to had nice screens and the crowds didn't bother me (although yes it had incredibly sticky floors).[/QUOTE]

Where do you live? I believe that the more populated the area the better chance that there will be a more ill-behaved crowd.

[quote name='thekeybladewars']Where do you live? I believe that the more populated the area the better chance that there will be a more ill-behaved crowd.[/QUOTE]

I've lived in big cities for the past several years and still have good experiences going at the times I listed above--not goign during release week and going to late showings on week nights or early matinees.

It's also a matter of your tolerance level I guess as well. I don't have a movie ruined if a cell phone goes off (and unanswered) a couple of times etc. I seldom have it where a lot of people are talking, texting, etc. to where it's distracting throughout the movie.

Im off to see Transmorphers... The audience shouldnt be too bad, its noon on a school day... But a theater right near LAX... Could be iffy.

[quote name='thekeybladewars']Where do you live? I believe that the more populated the area the better chance that there will be a more ill-behaved crowd.[/QUOTE]
I go between a close suburb of the Twin Cities, Minnesota (with a population of close to 3 million) and Madison, Wisconsin (with a population of around 230,000). I often go to theaters in uptown (inside the Twin Cities) and I haven't had any problems with them. If I really think about it I don't think I've ever had a movie 'ruined' by anybody. A few times I've experienced some slight annoyances with things like cell phones going off and babies crying for a little bit. I guess I just get over them and enjoy the movie.

[quote name='Lice']Im off to see Transmorphers... The audience shouldnt be too bad, its noon on a school day... But a theater right near LAX... Could be iffy.[/QUOTE]

Going to the Bridge?

[quote name='mooshie78']I love it. Can't beat the big screen. I have a 50" TV, surround sound etc. and still love going to the theaters.

I seldom have a bad experience with crowds as I try to go to either very late showings or go on a week day afternoon or weekend morning etc. I also seldom go on opening nights or weeks. Rather wait 2 or 3 weeks for crowds to die down.

Ticket prices have went up, but $10-12 doesn't bother me and I've never bought food or drink very often so increases on those have been moot for me.[/QUOTE]
Man... you're so positive. You are definitely a "CAG in training".

Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Movies are just my number 1 hobby and I especially love seeing a good film on the big screen. *shrugs*

bread's done
Back