can you use an igp with a pci-e card?

shosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
i have a ati 5770 card with a m4a78t-e board that has an ATI 790gx igp on it.
I was wondering if it was possible to use both the video card and the igp so i can use the hdmi port on the mobo to display onto a tv.

The guys who check that thread would know better on the subject, but as far as I know you can't. I have a similar model (M4A78 something or other) and I can't do it.

If you've got a PCI-E expansion slot on your motherboard, then you'll be able to use the 5770. You'll have to disable the onboard video though in the bios.

I don't think you can simultaneously run both the IGP and the video card, but if you're using a 5770 I don't see why you'd need to. The 5770 will support multiple displays and most 5770s I've seen have at least 3-4 outputs, with at least one being HDMI.

[quote name='SEH']If you've got a PCI-E expansion slot on your motherboard, then you'll be able to use the 5770. You'll have to disable the onboard video though in the bios.[/QUOTE]
Actually every pcie video card I've installed on a mobo that has integrated graphics turns off the IG automatically. No need to mess with the bios or disable the IG.

[quote name='Mid Boss']I don't think you can simultaneously run both the IGP and the video card, but if you're using a 5770 I don't see why you'd need to. The 5770 will support multiple displays and most 5770s I've seen have at least 3-4 outputs, with at least one being HDMI.[/QUOTE]
the thing is i want to keep some workload off of the card. when i turn off the tv display the card can be up to 10C cooler.

Okay, looking at the manual for your motherboard a bit I think you can do what you want if you go into your BIOS and enable Surround View in the Internal Graphics Configuration. You might have to enable that and play with some settings in Windows with ATI's Catalyst Control Center, but I think it should work.

At most you could run them in crossfire-x but that requires you to have a card thats worse then 5770. I have an IGP on my motherboard too and I cant run it in crossfire-x because my 4770 is to good. You need a really low end card to use crossfire-x.

[quote name='Mid Boss']Okay, looking at the manual for your motherboard a bit I think you can do what you want if you go into your BIOS and enable Surround View in the Internal Graphics Configuration. You might have to enable that and play with some settings in Windows with ATI's Catalyst Control Center, but I think it should work.[/QUOTE]
holy crap that worked. thank you soooo much for you effort. tried reading the manual but i couldn't figure it out.

you sir are a gentleman.

well all that work to get the 2 chips to work went for naught. seems like when I play a movie on my HDTV the desktop reverts to win basic as there appears to be a memory leak with dwm.exe. it just seems to explode for some reason. stupid windows.

This just happens when you're trying to use IGP for the HDTV? And you don't have the problem when you're running both your monitor and TV off the 5770?

[quote name='Mid Boss']This just happens when you're trying to use IGP for the HDTV? And you don't have the problem when you're running both your monitor and TV off the 5770?[/QUOTE]
yea, theres a memory leak only when using both the igp and 5770 card

Just use the 5770. It's not going to overheat or break from having "too much workload" put on it when all you're doing is using it in a HTPC.

bread's done
Back