[Canada - DEAD] It'll be cancelled but might as well try: Sears.ca 40% off

RFD people are going bananas :D

What's with that guy who bought 6 HDTVs? He better not be serious.

I only want a friggin' MGS4 PS3 for $350.

Same thing I ordered. If it goes through, I'll cancel the order I did on August 28th (which has a delivery date of 2 days after the order I did today...). The people ordering 10 TVs are really ruining any chance this deal has though -_-

[quote name='Firestorm']Same thing I ordered. If it goes through, I'll cancel the order I did on August 28th (which has a delivery date of 2 days after the order I did today...). The people ordering 10 TVs are really ruining any chance this deal has though -_-[/QUOTE]

Well, the problem with this deal is Sears might not honour it, or claim that there order wasn't processed due to the huge amount of volume of traffic on there site. And to the guy buying 6 HDTV's, good luck to him on making a profit on it, from my experience as a seller and buyer, hard to sell a HDTV online for a decent price to make a profit. People are too picky about buying expensive electronics, like TV's, but, if the deal is right, they might buy.

I ordered a 19" LG HDTV that could double as a PC monitor. All of their high-end TVs were overpriced by a several hundred dollars compared to FS or BB or not 1080p compatible ones.

I doubt the order go through despite receiving a confirmation e-mail. The pick-up and delivery dates were pushed back by a month to Oct. 20th as I was waiting for the order screen to que up in Firefox.

Which 19" LG? Yeah I work at Sears and usually price match Best Buy to get my customers to buy >_>; Although there's a good deal on the Samsung A650 series coming this weekend. $2299.99 for the 46" and $2799.99 for the 52".

The one I ordered was this one:

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B001...54?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=396523011

The total came out to $270 after taxes and after the 40% discount.

Then again, the store pick-up date and the home delivery option both suspiciously changed to October 20th from Sept. 7th in the 1/2 hour I was still making up my mind before finalizing the transaction. Therefore, I don't expect the sale to be honored.

I can't afford a large high-end 1080P HDTV at the moment and either way, the Sears' online pricing and selection wasn't very good either compared to the big box retailers. All the TVs I have at the moment are SD tube TVs so this would still be a nice upgrade despite only being 720P and 19".

A lot of the text on PS3 games is barely legible from a distance if you play PS3 games on a SD tv.

Not bad. If it gets cancelled and you can afford a larger TV, I'd recommend the Samsung 32" A450! It's $679.99 - 10% due to their sale right now and it's a great price on a great TV.

Guardian Flash, I just applied through the Metrotown website a few months back, but don't bother. Retail's been hit hard due to people not spending as much and I know that Metrotown for sure isn't hiring =(

I wonder what the coupon code was from. At any rate, let's all cross our fingers and hope that we somehow actually get these great deals.

I tried out the coupon code on a PS3 and I just got a message saying it was invalid and I couldn't place the order. It sounds like people are getting a little further than me, so are there any restrictions with this thing?

Yes, because RFD is responsible for everything from hoarding to AIDS to terrorism.

Doesn't anyone see the irony in complaining about another website that focuses on posting good deals?

Hint: this site focuses on posting good deals.

Grow up.

[quote name='Zing']Yes, because RFD is responsible for everything from hoarding to AIDS to terrorism.

Doesn't anyone see the irony in complaining about another website that focuses on posting good deals?

Grow up.[/QUOTE]

You are missing the point. It's the people that go and buy SIX fuckING LCD TELEVISIONS that ruin deals for everyone else.

[quote name='Zing']Yes, because RFD is responsible for everything from hoarding to AIDS to terrorism.

Grow up.[/quote]I think it's people who order 10 TVs who need to grow up =) I use RFD and am quite active there. I don't do that though. When we bash RFDers, we are referring to the ones who do BS like ordering multiple items to make a profit. We realize there are a lot of decent people on that website, but that's the type of thing it's become known for.

It's impossible, but it would be nice if there was some sort of enforceable code of ethics that came with deal sites... I've bought games with the sole purpose of trading them, and I've made the best of deals that offer great value. I've got most of the upcoming games I want paid for already. And that's fantastic.

But I (and I'm sure a lot of people here) have never scooped up every last copy* of a cheap game because there's profit in it. I've never tried to exploit another store into matching one store's error (here's a receipt, now match it).

To be fair, a lot of RFDers probably don't, either. But there are a few who will, for example, buy a dozen $5 copies of Guitar Hero III and flip them at Blockbuster the same day for $400 in credit.

Oddly, some dissenting voice among the rabble at RFD is getting on people's cases about this coupon... I think a far more dubious practice than a 40% off coupon is the rampant price-matching off receipts people try to do there.

*While I've never bought a bunch of cheap copies of a game at once, I did recently buy three copies of Madden 08 from my local Blockbuster, one at a time, over a three week period. Sue me ;) ...I'm convinced I'm the only one who even batted an eyelash at the game.

As for this deal, I used the guest checkout, so I have no way of checking my order status short of calling. :whistle2:?

the price matching off receipts after the deal is dead is definitely annoying. I see nothing wrong with using a receipt while a deal is alive due to no other proof of the price (regular price let's say), but ugh. Hell, I've seen people try to price match using photoshopped print-outs.

It doesn't matter if you buy one item or 10, you are trying to profit from it. Saving money is the same as making money.

If a store was selling $20 bills for $10, would you only buy one and leave the rest for other people?

In fairness, part of the blame falls on retailers, who should have a brain about imposing purchase limits. Because I'd be pissed if a store was selling $20 bills for $10 and then sold the whole stack to the first guy in line.

But I don't even think that way and I suppose I almost presume a limit when I find a great deal. I'm happy to get mine when it comes to a good deal, and happy for the others who get theirs. Fact is, watching some of the RFD shenanigans opens my eyes to some of the crazy stuff that goes on in retail these days.

I will say this -- while I have no love for the greedy folks who will take a mile if you give them an inch, they've got nothing on the people -- presumably also from RFD (law of averages that they're more likely from there than here) -- who will commit outright fraud to make a buck.

Actually, what I said about not thinking that way isn't entirely true, I suppose I entertain it, but I also let the golden rule guide me, which is my general approach to pretty much anything.

EDIT: And once again, in fairness, the fraudsters are not indicative of the general population of anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zing']It doesn't matter if you buy one item or 10, you are trying to profit from it. Saving money is the same as making money.

If a store was selling $20 bills for $10, would you only buy one and leave the rest for other people?[/quote]There's a difference between goods and currency in the age we live in. There's a difference between buying an item for personal use and buying an item to resell.

Ah nuts :(
2e2klkh.png

Just curious what time your initial "order received" email came. I'm still holding out stupid hope, but I can't check my status because I used guest checkout.

Can't fault Sears for cancelling the orders, though (the amount of RFD rage is mildly amusing)

Heh, I just got an e-mail telling me the status has shifted to unavailable. I presume that means they'll credit back my card. I'm fine with that. If I have to hound them, I won't be so fine... unless it eventually comes through.

Yeah, it's kind of amusing... particularly the people making grumblings about legal action.

I'm just astonished by the one guy whose orders totalled $30,000.

As soon as my CC gets credited back what they charged, I'll be perfectly happy... and maybe a tad disappointed.

[quote name='Firestorm']There's a difference between goods and currency in the age we live in. There's a difference between buying an item for personal use and buying an item to resell.[/QUOTE]
No, there isn't. This is just your self-imposed morality.

[quote name='Zing']No, there isn't. This is just your self-imposed morality.[/quote]So you're saying the sole purpose of everything from TVs to shoes is to be used as currency?

Currency is exchanged for goods.

Goods are exchanged for currency.

It has been this way for thousands of years.

Besides, I was referring to the difference between buying "for profit" and buying for personal use.

Everyone buys something thinking they are profiting from it. Some gain profit through time-savings or getting more enjoyment out of life. Some gain it through reselling. Both are legitimate purposes.

bread's done
Back