Canada gets screwed over again? [Big Bang Mini price]

poiuiu

CAGiversary!
So yeah, I've been looking forward to Big Bang Mini for the DS since playing the demo a week ago (tho admittedly, I was looking forward to it in Dec) and especially since it was supposed to have an MSRP of 20 bucks.

Anyways, I picked it up today, and low and behold, it's 30 fcking bucks! WTF?! Well I bought it anyway, since I can always return it later on if I find it cheaper or something (I really wanted to play it), but checking Amazon.ca, they list it for 30 msrp as well. It is more insulting that the game is the proclaimed 20 bucks at Amazon.com. And the worst part, I didn't get the fcking 16 frame lenticular cover (search on youtube for it since posting the link embeds the whole vid).

Then of course there's the fact Dragon Quest 5 DS is 45 bucks MSRP, just like how it was two years ago. ERGH!

Yes I know late to the ass-reaming since a lot of guys have to pay extra for Canadian due to the Street Fighter 4 and other games not yet release, but fcking hell. Sorry, I just need to bitch since I don't mind paying 30 up front for a game I'll enjoy; but it's the lack of an animated cover that really pisses in my cereal (which I blame the requirement to have french on the front).

Have you not heard of the crashing economy + sinking Canadian dollar?
I lost several thousands of dollars in the past 5 months.

The economy is crashing everywhere in North America, but that hardly excuses why Canadians have to bail out the US-side publishers. Really, no matter how bad it is, that doesn't excuse a 50 per cent mark-up. And the loonie isn't too bad right now; according to xe.com, it's an 0.81 US dollar equivalent.

BTW I see the game on amazon.ca at 27$, so if you use the 10$ coupon + 3$ filler you're well under what you'd have to pay in the US (given the free shipping plus exchange rate)

While I realise that, I haven't had the best of luck when it comes to timely shipping with their cheapie shipping, and also, there's nothing else I really want to buy from there.

Also, ordering from Amazon.ca probably won't solve the one problem that fire-up this rant: the goddamn lenticular cover!

Umm, if it's $20 in the States with the cover, and you're willing to pay $30CAD+tax, why don't you just Goomba it? Goomba will ship it to you for like $25USD ;)

Much appreciated but that is merely a bandage to a larger problem, unfortunately. Also since I bought BBM from the EB which I'm on good terms with the staff, I'm not too upset over buying it.

Also DQ5 is not for me, so I need to have it at launch. >:p

For the record, that awesome lenticular cover looks like this:

BBM_DS_PkgArt_LenticularCrop.gif

LOL not rubbing anything in. I am happy to ship a copy of the game to any Canadian, Brand New/Factory Sealed for $25 USD shipped ^_^ Just thought I'd post that huge animated gif (if you right click and do view picture it's even bigger. Largest animated gif I've ever seen lol). Thanks!

I might be selling the copy I just had bought or trying to trade it in and purchase it from Goomba again just to get the cover. I have to agree its rather sad when a game is marked up 50% and then does not even come with the cover people are desiring.

poiuiu - I would recommend if your not happy (like I am) then send a letter or email to the game developer and publisher telling them how you find what they are doing as unfair (thought they can charge whatever they please). While you might not get any response if enough people make it clear to them that they do not appreciate being screwed over they might next time be more fair.

Unfortunately, what's done is done and I can't be arsed to do anything about it. I'd rather either get things done or play some vidya games. :p

Keep in mind that our dollar is no longer at par with the US dollar, so of course games and such are going to start costing more again. When the Canadian dollar is worth 82US cents, of course the price is going to be a bit higher here? To expect otherwise is foolish. just be glad our dollar isn't down to 65 US cents like it was several years ago.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like Amazon.ca is also beginning to adjust prices on some games.
What gets me is that places like FS are going back and marking up the prices of games that they used to sell at 59.99. The only way that's even remotely justified is if they ran out of all their initial stock and had to get new stock at a higher price.

Also, unfortunately, because our dollar is essentially 20% weaker now, we get a "savings" for 59.99 games but we get ripped off on any games less than 49.99.

Let me say this: if video game stores are going to start charging $10 more for games simply because the Canadian dollar dropped 20%, I'm not buying. Raising prices isn't going to help sales. I have no issues paying $59.99 /w tax but I do with $69.99 w/tax. Not when I found companies like Rogers taking big losses in selling their used games.

I must say, I preordered a crap load of games I probably wouldn't bother with because they're still "cheap" on Amazon. Once that changes, I'll probably hold off on a lot of games.

[quote name='firehawk12']I must say, I preordered a crap load of games I probably wouldn't bother with because they're still "cheap" on Amazon. Once that changes, I'll probably hold off on a lot of games.[/quote]

Same here... in fact I'm thinking about stopping altogether and just getting some monthly service like gameaccess or BBV's monthly rental service.

[quote name='lustyhitter']Let me say this: if video game stores are going to start charging $10 more for games simply because the Canadian dollar dropped 20%, I'm not buying. Raising prices isn't going to help sales. I have no issues paying $59.99 /w tax but I do with $69.99 w/tax. Not when I found companies like Rogers taking big losses in selling their used games.[/quote]

By the time Rogers sells a used game it is not taking a loss.

man, sometime soon i might even have the money to afford a game...
damn this economy! the good part to this is that i have to focus on my studies instead of my hobbies. i do beleive that better education = easier job finding (not necessarily better job) so im laying low on my ps3 ... and hitting the books.

but if the prices continue like tihs, 69.99 dollars new for a game... .yea okey, hell with it.

i mean whos going to pay 69.99 for COD4 GODY EDITION?? let alone AFRO SAMURAI.

but we CAGers have a better alternative on buying games
if you get my drift ;)

[quote name='neksus']By the time Rogers sells a used game it is not taking a loss.[/quote]

You have a point, but how does that explain them tossing Call Of Duty: World At War in the 2/$40 bin? At least for that one game, they sold it to me before they got all the money they could get out of it.

No one is renting the extra copies that they have at that point. You just happened to catch them at a time when they were doing a sale. :lol:

Well I emailed Arkedo about this issue us Canadians are having with the packaging we got with Big Bang Mini DS and here is the response I got today.

"We heard about this canada issue, and we are really worried about it. We put a lot of effort on the box, even financially speaking.
As you may know, and even though we have nothing to do with this (it was a canadian distributor decision to have a better margin by ditching the lenticular cover), we decided to make a free exchange system with our own boxes in Paris.
So please send me your address, and you shall get the full lenticular box within 10 days.
We have bought a cardboard of lenticular covers to our publisher, and will sen them at our expenses."

I think we should applaud Arkedo for handling things like this as really they are only the game developer and this problem is as they say due to a distributor wanting to make a higher margin. So if any other Canadians want the cover that was supposed to be on the game send them off and email and make sure to thank them :D

[quote name='Lockescythe']holy crap thats a awesome thing to do by the company.[/quote]

Indeed I was truly floored when I saw it, so honestly these guys deserve your money buy Big Bang Mini DS or 2! The game is honestly one of the best shooters I have played in years.

[quote name='goomba478']LOL not rubbing anything in. I am happy to ship a copy of the game to any Canadian, Brand New/Factory Sealed for $25 USD shipped ^_^ Just thought I'd post that huge animated gif (if you right click and do view picture it's even bigger. Largest animated gif I've ever seen lol). Thanks![/quote]

Hi Goomba,

So I'm thinking I'd like to order a copy of this game with the fancy cover, just because, and I was also in the market for a couple more items from the Square Enix shop...is it easier for me to PM you here or use your website?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back