Canada online game rentals?

dave17

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for a new place to rent games online. I have been using canflix.com since september, but now they never fucking have anything decent available. I've had 8 games on my list for over a month and they havent sent me anything. The only games they have available are old crap ones which I dont want to bother playing. I've had overlord and eternal sonata on the list for my wife since september with usually a game free so they could send it if it comes in, but havent received either (which is weird cause I got bioshock and dead rising in the first couple weeks although that might have been to try to impress during the trial period lol). So it seems they just have too few games for too many people.

The nice thing about canflix is that it's (comparitively) cheap, but that's probably why they have so few games available. http://www.canada-dvd-rental-guide....e_canada.htm?gclid=CN_Dhe7k15ACFUWoGgod5H_JWA shows a quick summary of options to rent games from (the prices are probably out of date though so you'd have to find the current prices on the sites). I dont know if anyone has had any good/bad experience with any of the other sites, I dont mind paying a bit more if it means being able to reliably rent decent games.

I've been using gameaccess.ca, and I've been liking it a lot. I've had a mix of getting new & old games from them. For example, I got Halo 3 within a week of it being released. Eternal Sonata has been my #1 for a few months though, and I still have't got it. I assume it's because it's an RPG, so people hold onto the copies they are sent for a while.

They have really good customer support, whenever I've had a problem I just email them and I'd get a reply within 24 hours.

I'd say it's worth checking out. I've had good experiences with them.

I've been using gameaccess too and I'd add that they have a feature where you can pick a game on your list and have it mailed to you garanteed above all other titles in your queue. It's about 2-4 dollars extra but it's worth it if there aren't many games you play.

I've been a member at GameAccess since March of 2006, so almost 2 years here as well.

The ship times are average depending on where you live, for me it's almost always 3 business days. There's been times I don't get anything in my top few queue spots, I recall having Overlord in my queue for what seemed like forever before I just bought it instead. But many other times I've got my top 3 queue request.

And like someone else said, you can pay just a little more to "hold" a game and they also have a fast-return option (also extra) so you can have a game shipped back to you the moment you tell them you've returned another. I don't use either of the options as I have enough to play that I'm not in a rush to get something else, but it's a great option for others.

It's still a great alternative to rental stores since you can keep the game as long as want. I recommend them.

I tried gameaccess for 2-4 months (can't remember). They were quick with support but shipping times sucked. It took usually a week to receive a game and of the 8-10 games I rented I never got one of my top three. I don't know if because I was on a single game rental they were catering to higher paying customers first, or if I just suck. The fact that they are in Quebec probably had a lot to do with shipping.

Canceled and haven't looked back. I thought about trying getgames but gave up since I tend to just buy games when they go on sale and trade in/sell em off.

I can second what you already know. A number of us at work have tried Canflix for games, and all of us ended up cancelling. It is even worse if you own a PS3! The 360 guys made out slightly beter, but not much.

The people who switched to gameaccess have been happy. I couldn't justify the cost of it, as I figure for that price, I can buy a new game every two months. Then I do goozex.

~S

eh with blockbuster you can keep a game for a month and only get a 2$ restocking fee.

Blockbuster now charges like 10 bucks for new release game rentals and 12$ for 2 older game rentals.

I can't justify the pricing on these online rental sites. The US ones have so much better pricing its not funny.

ya gamefly is pretty rape, my friend uses that and always gets good games from it. I was actually going to complain and cancel from canflix, but then I got an email saying they shipped me DiRT so I figure I would let it ride while I have this game and hope some more start trickling in. I got fight night round 3 as well since there was no queue for it.

but oh man, playing DiRT on a 56" tv with surround sound and the racing wheel is awesome (especially in the cockpit view). it's nice to actually be out of school and have a disposable income for stuff like this... no more relying on pirated PC games on my 4 yr old pc for my gaming!

[quote name='Lockescythe']
I can't justify the pricing on these online rental sites. The US ones have so much better pricing its not funny.[/quote]

Yes, a whole $2/month for GameAccess.ca when compared to GameFly. Although I do agree that Blockbusters $9.99 + $2 restocking fee is good if you only rent a game a month like I do.

Well after a year it ends up to be 30$+ and a free magazine subscription difference.

I still don't see a point to online game rentals. I'd rather just buy a newish game used for that price per month. Or take advantage of 2 for 40 at RV.

Canflix is the one I use...though I like their selection of movies (HD & SD) as well as their games. As the other poster said, being a 360 user primarily means that I get good results. Of course, this is my first attempt at an online rental agency so I have nothing to compare it to. As for PS3 rentals...yah, I don't think they stock very many. I've been waiting for Heavenly Sword and even Lair for quite a few weeks.

[quote name='biosc1']Canflix is the one I use...though I like their selection of movies (HD & SD) as well as their games. As the other poster said, being a 360 user primarily means that I get good results. Of course, this is my first attempt at an online rental agency so I have nothing to compare it to. As for PS3 rentals...yah, I don't think they stock very many. I've been waiting for Heavenly Sword and even Lair for quite a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

heh, a few weeks isnt bad. I've had overlord and eternal sonata in my top 3 picks since september and I havent received either. and I've always had a slot open in case a good game is actually ready.

anyways I just got burnout paradise shipped to me and I think I have managed to figure out their priority algorithm so I have a much better chance at getting new games.

basically you have to check their website for when they add the future releases to their game selection and add all of the games that you want. I think they do this in chunks cause I was checking it every couple days and then all at once they put up gta4, bully, burnout, and maybe 10 other games as "coming soon". I just kept the coming soon games at the bottom of the list and the popular released games that I want to rent (overlord, eternal sonata) at the top of the queue.

then a few days before the release day of a coming soon game you put it #1 in your queue. this way you should be in their highest priority since:

1) you have been waiting for the game the longest (assuming you were quick to add it once they put it on their site)
2) you have it as #1 in your queue

I obviously cant tell what their exact algorithm is or that both of these are important, but it's worked for me. and oh ya, make sure you have a slot open for the new rental.

bread's done
Back