[Canada] The Behind the counter Life.

Estymagic

CAGiversary!
*Temp Removed as i gather some information on confidentialty with my manager*

Leaving this as a place to ask EB non -promo questions for now.

Props to CheapyD, man ur voice is so cool and have a great day

Estymagic your friendly negihborhood EB games minion.

[quote name='Ranzo']because I am slightly smarter, only slightly.[/quote]

Ranzo is also known as Randy, manager of EB Games Mayfair Shopping Centre in Victoria...

[quote name='batman_hl']Ranzo is also known as Randy, manager of EB Games Mayfair Shopping Centre in Victoria...[/quote]

Sure am.

[quote name='daphatty']Why do I get the feeling Ranzo is an EB/GS store manager?[/quote]i was just thinking the exact same thing

[quote name='batman_hl']I also believe your birthday is this Saturday, Happy Birthday...[/quote]

Dont forget to buy me something

[quote name='Ranzo']Sure am.[/quote]
ah so the truth is revield.

So Ranzo, in your store,
when you do get a new hire, do you give them something to sign?

do you give them like a handbook or at least something so we know what we can and cannot do?

perhaps you could tell me what about my original post is "confidential"
(maybe through PM if not through this thread)

Is your store as filled with trades as we are that we have to spend hours upon hours just to sort and find room for it all?

That rule about holding games traded in for a month only applies to BC.

Here in Ontario, I traded in a game once and bought the exact same copy back the next morning. Seller's remorse, but it went towards a promotion for the $50 extra credit for every 10 games traded in.

haha dosnt everyone wish to use staff discounts?

but sadly no, I belive thers a line between bargin hunting and just plain undermining the system.

and thats where i draw the line.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Staff discounts?[/quote]

15% off everything except hardware
Stacks with EDGE

Yea about the OP's post there was NOTHING in it that I did not already know... so yea , I don't think it matters that much

[quote name='X-Factor']That rule about holding games traded in for a month only applies to BC.

Here in Ontario, I traded in a game once and bought the exact same copy back the next morning. Seller's remorse, but it went towards a promotion for the $50 extra credit for every 10 games traded in.[/quote]

It only applies to 2 stores in the City of Vancouver.
Oakridge and Pacific Centre, It's some pawn shop bylaw the city introduced...

[quote name='gamer602']It only applies to 2 stores in the City of Vancouver.
Oakridge and Pacific Centre, It's some pawn shop bylaw the city introduced...[/quote]

Thought it was BC wide,
downtown Eastside pawn shops are probably why we have this regulation.

Wow Mayfair Mall thats really close to me. Too bad I will likely never set foot in an EB Games again otherwise I'd stop by and say Hi to a fellow Canadian CAG

Okay, I didn't know where to put this:

Is $14.99 Used for Burnout (the original, #1 in the series) a good deal?

EDIT: 25% (w/edge) discount is good. Makes those gutted new games almost worth purchasing.

[quote name='gamer602']It only applies to 2 stores in the City of Vancouver.
Oakridge and Pacific Centre, It's some pawn shop bylaw the city introduced...[/quote]

It's the "Second Hand Dealer's Act" and currently only applies in Vancouver (in the GVA) as well as a couple of cities outside the Lower Mainland (I think Kamloops?). They had similar bylaws implemented in Maple Ridge/Surrey & tried New West, but a local pawn shop owner fought the bylaw and had it overturned (which retroactively negates the bylaw in other cities), but the other cities are abiding by the bylaw in good faith (at least some stores).

As for the "confidentiality" of the statements made in this thread... none of this is news to anyone who has spoken to EB employees in person. I know & do business with dozens of EB staff from many locations across the Lower Mainland, have managers who shop at my store, and am usually well informed of any deals/promotions that I ask about (usually after reading it here). I don't see anything wrong with what he posted, but EB corporate might (they're not cool).

Seeing as there is a few EB staff here, I wonder if you would know:
I recently won a copy of Lair for PS3 from a contest, but don't even have a PS3.
The barcode has 2 holepunches taken out of it(still sealed also), and I'm wondering if it would still be good for trade in promos, or store credit?

[quote name='DoctorWho']While there isn't a law, retailers will ask for ID on a credit card purchase if the signature on the back of the card does not match the one that you use on the receipt. They have every right to refuse sale to you if you don't produce ID but there is no law.[/quote]
True, but OP said that the "law" requires him to request ID when someone uses a credit card. Credit card merchant agreements clearly state that a signed credit card is all that is needed to process payment and that merchants are not allowed to make government ID a condition of acceptance.

Merchants, of course, have the right to refuse sale if they think something is wrong.

[quote name='DoctorWho']As for not allowing the return of opened games, I see no problem with that. You would have scores of pirates taking home crap, copying it and then returning it to the store.

You call them "customer unfriendly policies" but they are in place for a reason and while they may be troublesome, they do protect the retailer from being cheated. There is nothing wrong with that.[/QUOTE]
True, again. I don't have any large problem with companies wanting to protect themselves from piracy, my peeve comes with register jockeys telling me it's the law instead of just admitting its store policy.

Walmart has pre-printed signs saying that (paraphrasing here) "due to copyright law, we cannot give refunds for opened games". Bollocks!

My use of the term "customer unfriendly policy" stems from the fact that, for the most part, if you buy a lousy game, you're stuck with either keeping it or trading it in at a fraction of the purchase price. If I buy a can of soup and it's spoiled, I can return it. A closer analogy might be if I see a lousy movie and walk out halfway through, I can get a refund. But if I buy a stinkeroo game, I'm stuck with it. The policy seems pretty "consumer unfriendly" to me. :)

[quote name='Estymagic']Well if its not a law, then its gotta be a store policy, they grilled it into me on my first day of the job so its second nature now >.

[quote name='Teddite']Seeing as there is a few EB staff here, I wonder if you would know:
I recently won a copy of Lair for PS3 from a contest, but don't even have a PS3.
The barcode has 2 holepunches taken out of it(still sealed also), and I'm wondering if it would still be good for trade in promos, or store credit?[/QUOTE]
You shouldn't have any problem trading the game in. Those holes are there to keep you from going into a retailer and doing the "Uhh, I lost my receipt and.. uuuhhh, I want something else."

Some stores might give you a hassle, but it's really hit or miss. It's your property now, you can trade/sell it if you want.

contrary to popular belief it is possible to post multiple ideas in the same post instead of spreading it out over three. It also possible to edit a previous post should you wish to add to it.

[quote name='Estymagic']haha dosnt everyone wish to use staff discounts?

but sadly no, I belive thers a line between bargin hunting and just plain undermining the system.

and thats where i draw the line.[/quote]
Oh, I wasn't planning on asking you to buy stuff for me. Just wondering if it's worth it to work there. :)

magiic, is there a multi-quote button?

[quote name='DoctorWho']You usually know the ship date but knowing exactly when something is going to arrive is hardly unusual. They can't be faulted for a slow shipping day or if product arrives a day late.

The shipping system that video games have been going by for years is simple. Game has a ship date which is usually posted on EBs website i.e. October 25th. The publisher ships the game that day and it arrives at the store later that day or the next day depending on your distance from the distribution centre.

Some Poplar titles like Halo 3 or Bioshock are given specific street dates. Games will usually ship a week before and the store will be required to hold the stock in the back until the date the game is released.[/quote]

Just back on this.

Obviously, I have no issue with ship dates, its more to do with a store not having any idea how much stock they will be receiving.

It's crazy that a store doesnt know that 60 copies of 'x' title are to be shipping on the 23rd, to be in store by the 25th.

Anybody have info on the EB price change on the 60 gig PS3? Sounds like they know there is one, but not sure what it is yet.

TRU knows but apparently the change in pricing isn't ready until tomorrow, FYI.

:)

Well since my manager wasnt workign today, i coulnd ask if it was confidential or not

well. about the ps3, I'll check tommrow, u'll see by 11:30 am pst if there is or not a change in the ps3 price

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Oh, I wasn't planning on asking you to buy stuff for me. Just wondering if it's worth it to work there. :)

magiic, is there a multi-quote button?[/quote]

you just have to use the quote tag, by either pushing the button in between image and code or copy paste, or just type out the tags

Well, when I worked at EB you could look on the computer to what was coming in the next day or the day after. It showed exactly what was in each box.

[quote name='magiic']contrary to popular belief it is possible to post multiple ideas in the same post instead of spreading it out over three. It also possible to edit a previous post should you wish to add to it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and capitalization, grammar and proper punctuation would be wonderful as well.

Are you paying by the post? :roll:

I simply stated that because it is totally unnecessary to post three times in a row. It's bad forum etiquette. The tools are there to combine it all in to one post. It comes down to sheer laziness. There is an edit and a quote button for a reason. Also the whole "grammar police" thing was never actually especially when it has absolutely no bearing to what I said.

Hey, Estymagic, since you've recently left, do you think you can share your experiances? I've always wanted to work for EB Games.....until recently where EVERY SINGLE F%*%ING EMPLOYEE FROM MY FAVE STORE WAS LET GO....including the store manager who was there for EIGHT years...

[quote name='gamer602']Hey, Estymagic, since you've recently left, do you think you can share your experiances? I've always wanted to work for EB Games.....until recently where EVERY SINGLE FU*KING EMPLOYEE FROM MY FAVE STORE WAS LET GO....including the store manager who was there for EIGHT years...[/quote]

awesome censoring.

also, if everyone was let go, perfect time to apply.

[quote name='ikariwarriors']awesome censoring.

also, if everyone was let go, perfect time to apply.[/quote]

I wanted*

before everyone left....

[quote name='gamer602']Hey, Estymagic, since you've recently left, do you think you can share your experiances? I've always wanted to work for EB Games.....until recently where EVERY SINGLE F%*%ING EMPLOYEE FROM MY FAVE STORE WAS LET GO....including the store manager who was there for EIGHT years...[/quote]

I'll reply via PM apparently they HO trolls here as well.

[quote name='gamer602']Hey, Estymagic, since you've recently left, do you think you can share your experiances? I've always wanted to work for EB Games.....until recently where EVERY SINGLE F%*%ING EMPLOYEE FROM MY FAVE STORE WAS LET GO....including the store manager who was there for EIGHT years...[/quote]

Seriously? What store was this? : \

[quote name='Estymagic']I'll reply via PM apparently they HO trolls here as well.[/quote]

Now why doesn't that suprise me?

bread's done
Back