Capcom 30th Anniversary Character Encyclopedia 10$

IIRC it was posted months ago but a new thread seems appropriate.

I currently have this exact item sitting in my complex's lock box...it was delivered on Sat. but apparently the lock broke and they're still "looking into it".  I'm going to try to catch the mailman in person so he can use his master key on it.

IIRC it was posted months ago but a new thread seems appropriate.

I currently have this exact item sitting in my complex's lock box...it was delivered on Sat. but apparently the lock broke and they're still "looking into it". I'm going to try to catch the mailman in person so he can use his master key on it.
Yeah, it has been that price for about a month.

Why did they leave out Frank from Darkstalkers? Everyone else is in there. Otherwise an excellent book!

$7.40 is a good price and i started to jump on it until I saw the size of the book.  You can youtube the book title and see some reviews of the book.  One review showed it beside a PS3 game and it wasn't all that much bigger than the game case, so I decided to pass.  Wish it was larger and focused on lesser known characters and instead added more content for the more well known ones in the book.  Just my 2 cents.

The book was delivered today. Unfortunately there was some minor damage(dings) to a few of the edges due to it being packed in just a bubble mailer. The book itself is a great, though fairly small coffee table book. Definitely worth the $8.

Why did they leave out Frank from Darkstalkers? Everyone else is in there. Otherwise an excellent book!
You can ask this question about a LOT of characters (like Hunk for Biohazard), but he is not the only one missing (though I do recall seeing him... might just be my mind playing tricks on me). These include Q-Bee, Rikou and Huitzil (arguably one of the more important characters). Also from a plot standpoint, Anita is a fairly important character.

$7.40 is a good price and i started to jump on it until I saw the size of the book. You can youtube the book title and see some reviews of the book. One review showed it beside a PS3 game and it wasn't all that much bigger than the game case, so I decided to pass. Wish it was larger and focused on lesser known characters and instead added more content for the more well known ones in the book. Just my 2 cents.
It's about the size of an iPad, which is a good size, but not a great one. I also assume you mean focused less on lesser characters, since the book focuses on a good number of them. I think that was sort of the "appeal" of the book and removing that would make it pretty lame. Though, they could have done without covering a good number of characters, added a lot of better known characters, verified info (like how DmC doesn't exist according to the book) and put in some more effort for more established characters.

Will wait for the next Arcade Championship Super Hyper Turbo edition, I have been fooled one too many times by Capcom.
Come on, this joke is so played out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Total must buy at that price. It's more of a coffee table book but the art is beautiful, it's hardcover and actually quite large. My wife had a blast thumbing through and trying to see how many characters she could immediately recognize.
All right. I'll buy it at that price when I get back to my room.

Is VJ in there?

Edit: He's on the cover. He'd better be in there!

I bought this book for like $10 something. I hate it when I see things cheaper. I got this book just barely 2 weeks from today.

The book is not bad for what it is.  The "DK" symbol on the upper right hand corner reminds me of my younger days.

All right. I'll buy it at that price when I get back to my room.

Is VJ in there?

Edit: He's on the cover. He'd better be in there!

Yeah, there are a few Viewtiful Joe characters included.

$7.40 is a good price and i started to jump on it until I saw the size of the book. You can youtube the book title and see some reviews of the book. One review showed it beside a PS3 game and it wasn't all that much bigger than the game case, so I decided to pass. Wish it was larger and focused on lesser known characters and instead added more content for the more well known ones in the book. Just my 2 cents.
Reading through it right now.

There is a big focus on newer characters (RE: Rev and Lost Planet 3) but there are lots of older titles represented in there Exed Exes, Varth, MC from Black Tiger, so it's far from a big name love fest in there. They're even covering most (if not all of the Warzard characters) now honestly they can't mention everyone and some choices are questionable (Monster Hunter MC and Dragon's Dogma) but for what it is I like it, a simple layout, information about the characters, stats, and a couple pictures along with game logos (one logo from a game they were in) it's not comprehensive, but I haven't noticed any glaring mistakes either.

And still it covers over 200+ characters, I mean how much more do you want?

Reading through it right now.

There is a big focus on newer characters (RE: Rev and Lost Planet 3) but there are lots of older titles represented in there Exed Exes, Varth, MC from Black Tiger, so it's far from a big name love fest in there. They're even covering most (if not all of the Warzard characters) now honestly they can't mention everyone and some choices are questionable (Monster Hunter MC and Dragon's Dogma) but for what it is I like it, a simple layout, information about the characters, stats, and a couple pictures along with game logos (one logo from a game they were in) it's not comprehensive, but I haven't noticed any glaring mistakes either.

And still it covers over 200+ characters, I mean how much more do you want?
You didn't notice DmC is the only recent game they opted out of covering? Even Dante's page mentions his last game as UMvC 3, which first off, overlooks DmC (assuming they want to consider them the same person, if not, then he doesn't have a page) and seemingly forgets he appeared in Project X Zone (they cover PXZ for other games).

I passed on this after previewing it at a local store. It's basically one page per character with only one medium-sized piece of artwork and 2 or 3 small art shots, with a large font summary.

It's very cursory material.

My love of Capcom characters vs hate for Capcom's business practice had me on the fence of buying this. Your little reviewe kept me from buying it. I thank you.

I passed on this after previewing it at a local store. It's basically one page per character with only one medium-sized piece of artwork and 2 or 3 small art shots, with a large font summary.

...and it only costs $7-10.

I got mine in a couple nights ago & was very impressed, especially for $7.  Not sure what everyone else was expecting for that price...

Which could be better spend on indie games, or put into savings for a better art book, or cover the full cost of a Walmart monitor...

It's not an art book; it's a coffee table book. I would much rather thumb through obscure Capcom character bios than read horrible Reader's Digest jokes or whatever angsty pot-related article Rolling Stone has this month. People's expectations for this are way too high.

I picked it up for the $7. It's worth the money as I use it to draw inspiration when I create characters I want to design. Capcom reached it's peak in the early 2000s for me and hasn't been the same since. I do still enjoy their earlier titles though.

Almost done with it, and I still recommend picking it up, just as long as you know what it is going into it.  I've actually learned some things reading the bios that I never knew and ended up picking up or looking into other games from series I knew about, but didn't care about. 

If I were to nitpick they focus too much on some series and omit some other characters who I would have like to see in it. (Teisel Bonne).

Still for the price, you could do worse, and it's nice quality and a hardback with nice artwork.

bread's done
Back