Car Insurance?

el swordo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I had an accident over the summer and my rate went up from about $330 to about $500 for 6 months. It's all due at once Feb 8th and I really don't feel like paying it. I recently graduated college and work a part time job 1 mile from my residence. I would much rather get a lower rate and pay monthly then pay $500 all at once. I was looking at nationwide insurance which seems to be the best deal I'm going to find. It basically comes to $50 a month with liability the same as I have now with uninsured bodily imjury for me just in case I'm injured. I don't care about my car because it looks like it's already been through a war and is getting up there in age. The way I see it is that all car insurance companies are decent until the first sign of them having to pay out. What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with Nationwide or other reccomendations?

I am rocking Allstate now... and they gave me a great rate... two cars and a house for less then what your paying for 6 months.. one thing to look into is maybe getting renters insurance if your in a apartment.. or house that's not your own.. it can actually drop your over all cost down (strange enough)

[quote name='Rollett']I am rocking Allstate now... and they gave me a great rate... two cars and a house for less then what your paying for 6 months.. one thing to look into is maybe getting renters insurance if your in a apartment.. or house that's not your own.. it can actually drop your over all cost down (strange enough)[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you're over 25 and are already an established individual. OP just finished college so he's likely under 25 and still gets to pay the prejudicial rate due to his age. Plus those rates vary greatly depending on where you live.

OP, you're going to have to shop around yourself if you only care about the rate. Each company's rates are statistically based on their own data. Also, get quotes from an actual agent... some times they can pull strings and get you better rates than what you see on websites (as was the case for me with State Farm). But I would strongly suggest you stay with a reputable company...

[quote name='skiizim']At least your not in CA, your rates would be out the of the roof!!!![/QUOTE]

Preach it, brother. CA is just expensive for everything. I need to move back to WA.

As an insurance agent in WA, I would have to say that rates are not much better up here than in CA, at least not in western WA.

To the OP, check out renter's insurance for sure. The discount you get on your auto can sometimes make it cheaper than just having the auto by itself, like Rollett suggested.

Another option you might want to look into, though it might not be avaliable in your state, is broad form coverage, which covers your license instead of your vehicle. That option used to be more expensive then writing a standard auto policy, but these days, atleast out here, the broad form policy can be less expensive. You can also get the uninsured motorist coverage with that, as well as PIP if your state has that option.

Shop around; check out some independent insurance agencies. They will quote you with several companies. Try to avoid insurance brokers, as they can charge fees that are on top of the cost of the policy by itself. Having an agent is always a plus, as it should not cost you any extra, and if they are independent they can shop around your stuff every 6 months, and move you into better markets when they become available to you.

Ended up going with nationwide. Even my old insurance agent couldn't believe what kind of rate I was getting. They offered me the same coverage pretty much that I already had for $200 cheaper and that is including paying per month instead of all at once.

http://www.amicaconnections.com/
I have Amica, customer service is excellent every single time I call them. Been with them for 2 and a half years. I'm not exactly sure if I'm paying more with them as of right now but when I first joined they offered me the lowest price out of all the major insurance companies offered in my state. Even if I am paying more, I will stick with Amica cause I know when I need to file a claim they come through without any hassle on my end.

Already filed one claim with them for about $3,000 when someone backed into my car's driver side door while its parked. Took my car to the repair shop, called Amica to let them know what happen, got my car back in 2 weeks looking like new. 1 week later, the same rep that help filed my claim called me back to check on how I'm doing and if I am satisfy with the repairs.

The thing is, customer service at this company is always this good. When a rep promises to call you back in a month they will call you back in a month. Each rep that assisted me with an unresolved issue provided me with a direct # to contact them. I also like the fact they are a mutual insurance company, which means they are not owned by stockholders but us the policyholders.

[quote name='skiizim']At least your not in CA, your rates would be out the of the roof!!!![/QUOTE]

I pay 1.5 times what I paid in Texas.

I use Progressive. No complaints, and I think it's the cheapest for me.

Nationwide is horrible, btw. GF's family has it. Drunk/high driver hit one of them, wasn't insured, was convicted, and Nationwide wouldn't pay.

Another one got in an accident, they also didn't want to pay.

I know you already went with them, but good luck.

I use Merastar. Cheapest I have found and the best service I have had. I work at a car shop and deal with Allstate, State Farm, Progressive, USAA, Cotton States, etc every single day so if you have questions lemme know!

Tell me about it. Best deal I can get at age 24/25 is more expensive than the OP's even with his accident and I have a squeaky clean record. Also that is with extremely low insurance payouts.

Don't ever get Travelers. Everything was just fine until I moved and had to cancel because they don't offer insurance in AK. All of a sudden I owe them $105 for a payment that I allegedly missed back in April 2011. I've contacted them five times in an attempt to resolve this manner and keep being told that because it was on my prior policy not the renewal that they can't see my payments that far back. I finally got someone to submit a request for them to mail me my entire payment history from when I signed up to canceling and not only are there payments missing on there that I can plainly see on their website online but their renewal dates are off by a month. Of course no one in the billing department can see this because they can only see my current policy that I canceled. When asked why they would renew my policy every 6 months if I was behind on payments they simply informed me that because I was only one month behind that it wasn't a big deal. Now if I was a month behind you would think at some point I would have been informed of this but it only now comes up when I cancel them. I've since filed a BBB complaint hoping that by some strange miracle I get someone to respond that can help resolve my issue.

Not completely true.

I lived out in SoCal (Palm Springs) for a few years back in 02-04, where we had Progressive the entire time. At the end of 04, we decided to move across country to PA, where my (ex)wife's family is, since we were expecting our daughter and had no family in CA.

Once we were moved, I called Progressive to update our policy, since we had two cars in CA, but I sold mine to a friend before we moved. Dropping the one car and the change of residence state, as expected, changed our rates, but not nearly as expected. Despite having just turned 25, having one less car on the policy, and moving to a fairly low-crime part of the country, our rate fucking DOUBLED. How that is even possible is still a mystery to me to this day. Keep in mind, I have a spotless record, and my wife had an accident many years prior, which actually dropped off the record.

Needless to say, I called around that day and ended going with State Farm, who quoted us with a rate that was HALF of what we were paying in CA. I've been with them ever since, and have never had a single complaint. My rate continues to go down, despite replacing my old car (with liability) with a practically brand new Jeep with full coverage and having three claims (non-collision), once for a cracked windshield on the old car, one for hail damage and another from when someone whacked the back of my Jeep with a bat or something, a week after I bought it.

Additionally, they have a monthly payment option too, which the OP is looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in CA, and never had lower rates (on liability alone) than FARMERS (except for maybe the general lol). GEICO 15% for 15 min is just a bunch of bullcrap.

bread's done
Back