Car Stereo help?

olde_english

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to get a new stereo for my minivan; not really interested in having anything too powerful or feature-loaded, just would like a more reliable and better sounding way to connect my Zen player than tape adapters and FM transmitters, and maybe something that will play MP3 CDs.

I'm guessing anything I find on Amazon for about $100 will work, but I don't know the first thing about installing them; can anybody recommend a place?

Look around your neighborhood. Big places like Sears and such install but it is much more than "Mom and Pop" stores. Search through your yellow pages for places that sell stereos and call around to find out the prices.

The factory cd player in my 2005 Focus just crapped out last week so I'm in the market as well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this and use a $12 kit from Wal-Mart to install it. I checked Best Buy & Car Toys and it was going to cost at least $150 at both places for the cheapest unit they had with installation.

crutchfield is way over priced, but they occasionally have deals. something with an aux input, and mp3 capabilities goes for around $80 to $100 before installation, that is if you aren't looking for a top of line model. good luck with the hunt, ill post if i find any specific deals you might be interested in. in general, check the sunday ads, newegg, or frys.

I was just looking at Crutchfield's site and it appears I can get the same receiver with installation gear for $140 shipped, as opposed to roughly $127 buying the just the receiver off Amazon & the kit at Wal-Mart. Crutchfield is claiming the installation gear is worth $35, will it actually be much better quality than the kit I'd get at Wal-Mart?

[quote name='souljah420']
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P6000UB/Pioneer-DEH-P6000UB.html
[/QUOTE]

Hmm I almost like that more than the Dual XHD6425 I was looking at. XHD6425 has builty in HD radio but I never listen to the radio at all and it sounds like the Pioneer is a better unit all around. One thing I'm curious about is that the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB is how exactly "rear & optional rear" connectivity with USB & AUX works. With the Dual receiver its in the front on the face.

[quote name='freshzen']I was just looking at Crutchfield's site and it appears I can get the same receiver with installation gear for $140 shipped, as opposed to roughly $127 buying the just the receiver off Amazon & the kit at Wal-Mart. Crutchfield is claiming the installation gear is worth $35, will it actually be much better quality than the kit I'd get at Wal-Mart?[/QUOTE]

The kit you get from Crutchfield will fit perfectly. The one from walmart probably will fit but doesn't come with the awesome tech support and instructions that you will get from crutchfield. I've bought 3 stereos from them for 3 different cars and every time the kit was a perfect fit.

[quote name='freshzen']Hmm I almost like that more than the Dual XHD6425 I was looking at. XHD6425 has builty in HD radio but I never listen to the radio at all and it sounds like the Pioneer is a better unit all around. One thing I'm curious about is that the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB is how exactly "rear & optional rear" connectivity with USB & AUX works. With the Dual receiver its in the front on the face.[/QUOTE]

The HD is a nice feature but be sure you have at least a few stations around you that support it, not many do still. Dual is a crap brand, yes it has a ton of features but the build quality is subpar.

As for the connectors on the pioneer, it appears that it has a usb line, a aux (3.5mm) plug and the IP-BUS which is pioneer's connector for various attachments like a multi cd player or another usb , etc. Take a look at the manual, there's a link on the page for the pdf.

I have the DEH4900ib and I have the 3.5mm plug and the IP_BUS which I can get plugs for an ipod cable or usb or another 3.5mm plug. I have been very happy with mine and probably will get another pioneer when I upgrade.

I was trying to narrow it down today and found this Dual XHD7714. Once again its Dual so not the most reliable but its a really amazing deal. $138.xx gets you HD radio & bluetooth both included, ready to go now further purchase needed. I read the main problems people are having with it is the display is hard to see in daylight and also mixed reviews on the bluetooth, some have said it drops out or people can't hear them too well but others have said it works perfect. Also people are saying the buttons are cheap plastic, I guess that is 3 things. Still an amazing deal.

Also considering getting this Kenwood BT838U which looks really sleek. I'd be getting the refurbished one @ $190 and assuming it was good as new if it came looking shiny and didn't have in problems in the first 30 days.

EDIT: Sorry I should mention I'm just looking for something with bluetooth and USB more than anything. I won't even use the bluetooth a lot but I'm figuring it'll help me sell the car in 2-3 years.

bread's done
Back