Car wreck! 56K warning UPDATED 12/30

bil4ltool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
So tonight My mom my fiance and me were driving into the Colony (30 miles north of Dallas) from Albuquerque to visit some family and we were on 35e South when a line of traffic suddenly stopped in front of us and I slammed on my brakes, skidded to a stop, and about two seconds later I was rammed in the back thrusting me into the car in front of us and well .....
CIMG0333.jpg

CIMG0335.jpg

Well anyway the police officer and the tow truck guy both told me that it was pretty much guaranteed to be totalled. I liked the car for the gas mileage, interior space, nice Ipod deck, and price (17k with everything I wanted), but I was thinking about maybe looking at a different car if mine is in fact totalled, so I was wanting some possible suggestions if you guys don't mind.

Oh, and everyone is just fine! Bruised and bumped but overall pretty good shape considering.

UPDATE 12/20
: So, after many days of dealing with douchebag insurance agents and other various assholes, we are at the same fucking spot we were in before. Apparently the shithead that hit us had insurance, but his liability on vehicle damage is 15,000, my car alone is worth 17k+ AND he's responsible for the guy he hit me into. Come to find out that here in Texas the insurance company of the liable party isn't required to provide us a rental car. If that's not fucked up, I don't know what is. There needs to be a SERIOUS federal law change! So were stuck without a rental car, and the his insurance company seems less than willing to help us (what a shocker!). Since I'm 20 my mom is going to have to pay out of pocket for a rental car to get us back to Albuquerque, not to mention our vacation has essentially been ruined, due in large part to the fact that we have no car. Suffice to say I'm a bit beyond irate.

Luckily we have uninsured motorist coverage, so State Farm will be cutting me a check for a new car, thank god, since the scumbag who hit me has the minimum he could possibly have (which is ridiculously low, and shouldn't be legal).

I don't know what to do at this point, and the guys insurance company is recording everyones statement to make sure were not at any fault, which unless getting slammed into someone else is my fault, i'm not, and they're taking their sweet ass time to boot. We also had at least 600 dollars in medical between the 3 of us getting checked out and xrayed.

I'm wondering if we should contact an attorney and see what we should do, as this ruined our vacation, caused all 3 of us moderate pain for a few days (and we're all still sore and uncomfortable), and left us to take care of arranging a vehicle to get back home.

Any help from you CAG's would be great, especially Javery! Thanks guys!

UPDATE 12/30:
So most of the dust has settled and since the guy who hit me was WAY underinsured my insurance company gave me about $600 less than I paid for my car total, which was enough to pay off my loan and leave me a bit over 7k for a down payment on a new car. They are going to try to collect from his insurance company. Unitrin (his insurance company) is going to refund my $250 deductible and pay back what the rental car cost to get us back to Albuquerque.

I have the loan approval and the down payment for my new car (07 Civic EX) but we've been pounded with over 2 feet of snow, and since we live in the desert and this is the biggest snow storm in at least 20 years in New Mexico I'm not able to get my car. At least I have my money for my car, and I can't go anywhere anyway.

We are still waiting for medical repayment from Unitrin, and we have no clue how long that will take.

When you go shopping for a Scion do you think to yourself "Hey, I want a car that looks like a Lego brick minus the bumps on the roof?"

Scion is the only car a Honda Element owner can make fun of.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Scion is the only car a Honda Element owner can make fun of.[/quote]You got that backwards. Scion XBs don't have that hideous siding, pushing them ahead of the Element in looks.
But regardless, they both look like (lego?) ass.

[quote name='JimmieMac']When you go shopping for a Scion do you think to yourself "Hey, I want a car that looks like a Lego brick minus the bumps on the roof?"

Scion is the only car a Honda Element owner can make fun of.[/quote]

though I agree (as I work for an american auto company) but is that comment needed?

as for a suggestion: if you like the space and the price and gas mileage the dodge caliber is nice, it has the Ipod dock and a nice sound system. I can't think of another vehical that matches the scion like the caliber.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']You should get something safer/stronger then a Scion... the fucking wheels fell off![/quote]

Actually it was pretty safe for how demolished it was, and the wheels didn't fall off, that's a piece of the car. Yes the scion looks like a box (you guys are the only ones who ever noticed!) but the interior room was killer. I'm thinking of maybe getting a Honda Civic, but I'm undecided at this point.

[quote name='bil4ltool']Actually it was pretty safe for how demolished it was, and the wheels didn't fall off, that's a piece of the car. Yes the scion looks like a box (you guys are the only ones who ever noticed!) but the interior room was killer. I'm thinking of maybe getting a Honda Civic, but I'm undecided at this point.[/quote]

Yeah, I've got an '06 white xB. They may look like hell to most, but I must say that it did grow on me. I agree with all the OP said about it. The car's great on gas and has tons of room. It's one of those cars that's hard to judge until you've actually ridden in one.

Scion > Element > Rendezvous > Aztec.... god needs to apologize for allowing the Aztec to exist. It's only purpose is to make me remember, it could be worse.

It depends on which model of Element you're comparing the Scion to.

If you're talking about the older model with its plastic side panels and two toned paint, then the Scion is better looking.

If you're referring to the new model without the side panels and all one color of paint, then the Scion is worse.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Get a Hummer H3.[/QUOTE]

Nothing says "I'm too poor for an H2" like an H3. fuck everyone who owns a Hummer.

Why not just get another Scion? If you like its functionality, go back to it. You'll only find similar interior room in a minivan. If you can deal with a little less space, the new breed of "station wagons" (they call them something else, but they're fucking station wagons) is available, like the Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3(?), and others.

I never cared too much for Scion (I don't like the look), but the photos of your totalled vehicle make it look like a really safe car with high crash test ratings. I wonder if that's true. EDIT: 4 star front and side crash test rating from the NHTSA.

[quote name='mykevermin']Nothing says "I'm too poor for an H2" like an H3. fuck everyone who owns a Hummer.

Why not just get another Scion? If you like its functionality, go back to it. You'll only find similar interior room in a minivan. If you can deal with a little less space, the new breed of "station wagons" (they call them something else, but they're fucking station wagons) is available, like the Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3(?), and others.

I never cared too much for Scion (I don't like the look), but the photos of your totalled vehicle make it look like a really safe car with high crash test ratings. I wonder if that's true. EDIT: 4 star front and side crash test rating from the NHTSA.[/quote]

Hatchback?

[quote name='thamaster24']If you're looking for another car, if it is totalled, go for the Jeep Compass. It costs right at the same price.[/QUOTE]
People I know who have driven the Compass can't stand the sound of the CVT transmission.

If you don't want another xB, but you liked the interior space, why not a Honda Fit or the like? Besides the fact that they're all fairly hideous, of course. :lol:

[quote name='JimmieMac']
Scion is the only car a Honda Element owner can make fun of.[/QUOTE]

LMAO.... damn. Well that SCION yes... that two door coupe is nice.

[quote name='loserkid']Yeah, I've got an '06 white xB. They may look like hell to most, but I must say that it did grow on me. I agree with all the OP said about it. The car's great on gas and has tons of room. It's one of those cars that's hard to judge until you've actually ridden in one.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I always made fun of how stupid they looked when I saw them....then I went to the Toyota dealership to get something like a Corolla and I saw them and figured I'd check em out just to see what they were like. Well, I hopped in one, noticed the interior space and liked it a lot right away. I'm 6'4" and I'm able to sit in the backseats with the front seats all the way back and still have plenty of leg room left over. The gas mileage is great, and judging by how we came out of the accident, and even though it doesn't look like it, it seems pretty damn safe. I just checked and it got 4 star ratings for frontal impact, which ain't bad for a car that looks like a box of tissue.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']You shouldn't go cheap with the Scion. Anyways now that you'll have money, get a new Lexus IS350. And I'm glad you're okay man.[/quote]

Hey, thanks a lot! I'm elated that everyone is okay too! Believe me, I would love to get a Lexus, but I don't have anywhere near that kind of money.

I have never been in a car wreck this bad before, and if my car is in fact totalled (which sure seems likely) I have no clue how the insurance companies will handle it. I don't know if they're going to give me the full value of the car, which had only 5,000 miles on it, or if they're going to give me some bs depreciation value. I'm hoping they give me a check for the full value of the vehicle, but I have no clue how it works.

We're still waiting on a damn rental car. I got up this morning and the knot on the back of my foot hurts like hell, and I can't even get my damn shoe on because of the pain.

So I really do want a Civic because of the dependability, which was a huge factor in my decision to buy the Scion. But the Compass does look pretty nice too. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it all.

Lol,

2 years ago, in a near 5 car accident I almost got in the middle of, that type of car was the last one in the back, and yep he got the most damage, from hitting a truck's towed Tbar (for hauling boats)...it was a brand new one too lol.

Get an Acura RSX Type-S .... amazing car...that's what I drive...nice little six speed that gets about 29 mpg consistently (only problem is you have to put in premium) and its not that expensive (only around $25K)

[quote name='bil4ltool']I have never been in a car wreck this bad before, and if my car is in fact totalled (which sure seems likely) I have no clue how the insurance companies will handle it.[/QUOTE] A friend of mine totaled his '06 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR on Thanksgiving night. There were just over 10k miles on it, and he's getting $28k after his $2k deductible. He paid somewhere around $36,500 back in April.

[quote name='tholly']Get an Acura RSX Type-S .... amazing car...that's what I drive...nice little six speed that gets about 29 mpg consistently (only problem is you have to put in premium) and its not that expensive (only around $25K)[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, I think the highest I'll be able to go is about 22k, and I want a 4 door car, I don't like 2 door cars very much.

Did you get in trouble for being to close the the car you rammed into? Buy another Scion, fuck those fuckers ,if you like it then good, but half those asshats couldn't afford a decent car in the first place let alone the insurance. Don't take advice from Huffy riders.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Did you get in trouble for being to close the the car you rammed into? Buy another Scion, fuck those fuckers ,if you like it then good, but half those asshats couldn't afford a decent car in the first place let alone the insurance. Don't take advice from Huffy riders.[/quote]

No, I didn't, but I don't think that matters because I didn't hit him until I was hit from behind. I don't even think the guy got a ticket. The insurance company is douchebagging it up today....apparently we can't get a rental car today because our agents office is closed or some bs....which is fabulous, not like we need a vehicle or anything. In the mean time I'm driving my aunts van which is about the size of a city bus, which is super incovenient.

I like the Scion, but there are some really annoying things about it, such as the armrest that's the size of a fingernail, and the really obnoxiously small vanity mirrors and the lack of decent gauges. Everything is still in limbo, but I'll keep this post updated if anyone cares. Thanks for all the support, humor and suggestions guys!!

Glad you and everyone else are okay, OP. I'm with some of the other folks in this thread... get another Scion if it suited your needs. What matters is if you were comfortable in it.

Also, Scions are prime for pimping out. Go on with your bad self and mod it. May I suggest starting off with some truck testicles?

http://bullsballs.com/

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']People I know who have driven the Compass can't stand the sound of the CVT transmission.[/quote]

I drive one and it's pretty quiet

Never buy a Jeep. A friend and I had the same model year wrangler, and we both made a list of things that had gone wrong at the 36K mile point. For me there were 17 issues (the worst were cracked welds on the manifolds, and doors). Both of our lists corelated 16 of 17 issues.

NEVER buy Chrysler. I've owned two and have hated both. My current vehicles are a Mazda, and a Toyota. Love em both.

[quote name='horrido']Never buy a Jeep. A friend and I had the same model year wrangler, and we both made a list of things that had gone wrong at the 36K mile point. For me there were 17 issues (the worst were cracked welds on the manifolds, and doors). Both of our lists corelated 16 of 17 issues.

NEVER buy Chrysler. I've owned two and have hated both. My current vehicles are a Mazda, and a Toyota. Love em both.[/QUOTE]

Gotta stand up and say "amen" on that one. Chrysler products are *horrible*. They've got some of the best style in the industry, but they're garbage underneath the pretty exteriors.

The Japanese and Koreans are getting it right. Sucks to not be able to support the American auto companies, but the quality is just awful.

bread's done
Back