Cartoons you loved but nobody remembers

i think evilmax17 and i are the only fans of MTV's Downtown.
Nope, I'm another one!

This thread makes me sad. Makes me sad because my kids won't get quality cartoons like this anymore. Cartoons nowadays suck.

[quote name='Roufuss']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmvUl0SJGM&mode=related&search=birdman

Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost, Thundarr, Herculoids, Birdman, and probably some others I'm forgetting... I really need to order Boomerang :([/quote]

Thundarr the Barbarian. That was the first show I really loved, and would be sure to be up to watch on Saturday morning.

Later, there was a show that was only on in the morning before school. It didn't last very long. Macron 1. I only remember two things about it -- it was about a giant robot, and it had a stupid but catchy theme song ('Muh-muh-muh-muh muh-muh-Macron 1 muh-muh-muh-muh muh-muh-Macron 1 (Feel the power!)")

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Oh that's right. First came the show with the child versions of the the warner brother characters. Tuny Toons. Then came Taz. And then came shows likes animaniacs and the like.

And iof I recall there was a fouth show with some wierd mad scientist or something.[/QUOTE]

Toonsylvania. I don't think it lasted very long.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
This thread makes me sad. Makes me sad because my kids won't get quality cartoons like this anymore. Cartoons nowadays suck.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. How else are they to learn that underwater, the fish don't stink?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkQ6JPew2E[/media]

[quote name='KEICHI']Gigantor.[/quote]
Thank you for mentioning this! Reminded me that I want to check out Gigantor subbed. I've only gotten to see the dub on Adult Swim. I liked the show, but the dub made me want to rip my ears off and stomp on them.

Mighty Max was surprisingly awesome and high in quality. I really, really liked that it was finite and ended (although it did the crazy mess-with-your-head repeat thing, but it still ended). You don't see that in shows anymore. They just keep making episodes of something until it gets horrible, and then it gets canceled without resolve.

I used to like the fairy tales that used to play on Saturday Morning (CBS, NBC, or ABC.) It was something like "storybook" or something. The intro showed a book opening, complete with a dramatic 80's synth riff. Each episode would be a fairy tale or folk story. Anybody know the title? They had a similar show on Nick Jr. (I think it was actually Anime, but I didn't know back then).

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzEssjkMeU[/MEDIA]
Battletech used to air on Saturday mornings, and it had awesome 3D mech battles. The only thing that looked better than it was Reboot.

The Free Willy cartoon (where Willy talked and fought undersea super-villians) was pretty bad, but in a good way.

I used to like Wayne Head lol....Wayne Head Wayne Head the party just begun...Wayne Head Wayne Head it's the 411 for fun. I think that's how the theme song went lol.

I love nostalgia threads. Unfortunately all my favorites are obviously reckonized by people in this thread. I really, really liked this cartoon from the 80's that had two forces in it (I can't remember the name of it).

It took place in outer space and there were good guys (white and orange ships/uniforms) and bad guys (black and purple duds) and the toys all had little magnets and motors in them. That show ruled.

Samurai Pizza Cats
The Maxx
Spy Groove/Downtown
Life with Louis

More Recently:
Big Guy and Rusty

Stuff from my early childhood I'd love to watch to see if it was really good:
Camp Candy
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Little Bits
Maya the Bee
Little Prince
David the Gnome
Mapletown
Noozles
Adventure of the Little Koala
Heathcliff

There's others that I have scant memories of from Nickelodeon...Namely one about a detective of sorts with odd inventions. It was NOT Inspector Gadget, something else entirely. Nick seemed to have a lot of one-shot shows back then that I can only vaguely remember....

Edit: Seems like most of mine have been mentioned before.

Two of my favorites -

Fighting crime... in a future time:

[media]http://www.videopipe.net/retro//09yxfmrk/themes/cops_intro_292_929.flv[/media]
Jem is truly truly outrageous:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJTYHGNteRs[/media]
I used to like the fairy tales that used to play on Saturday Morning (CBS, NBC, or ABC.) It was something like "storybook" or something. The intro showed a book opening, complete with a dramatic 80's synth riff. Each episode would be a fairy tale or folk story. Anybody know the title? They had a similar show on Nick Jr. (I think it was actually Anime, but I didn't know back then).
It was on CBS and it was called Storybreak. I remember that show pretty well due to one of my favorite stories - The Monster's Ring. This kid buys a magic ring that changes him into a monster. I still remember the line:

"Gremlin of the Magic Ring, change me into a Monster's Thing"

C.O.P.S., Mask, Centurians, Robotech, Bananaman, Super Ted, Danger Mouse, Count Duckula, G.I. Joe, Go Bots, Transformers, Captain N, Thundercats...far too much stuff from way back in the day.

And thank god since most of those things are impossible to watch any longer. Then again I've always had a good memory so I remember some of the stuff I watched when I was just a tiny kid in the beginning of the 80's.

Thankfully I was still watching TV when things like Batman: TAS, Gargoyles, Swat KATS, and other shows that attempted to have plots were making a run at it. That and Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. I'm still a big fan of humor on multiple levels. There was just something about:

"We're going to go to a place where women are paid to look pretty and change their clothes frequently."
"We're going to Charlie Sheen's house...?"

...in a children's show that just seemed a touch magical...and bordering on perverse. Terrific.

Well, that and when Nickelodeon had a bastion of amazing cartoons, shorts, and random things well before Nicktoons ever came along. I still remember a lot of random animated shorts that were supposedly tossed off the air, like the one about the guy cracking an egg for breakfast. Amazing.

[quote name='jaykrue']It was on CBS and it was called Storybreak. I remember that show pretty well due to one of my favorite stories - The Monster's Ring. This kid buys a magic ring that changes him into a monster. I still remember the line:

"Gremlin of the Magic Ring, change me into a Monster's Thing"[/quote]
YES! THANK YOU!

Theme (wav)

Just for the hell of it I will name a few more. The ones I barely remember from when I would jump out of bed on Saturday mornings...

Pac-man Hour - Donkey Kong, Q-bert, pacman cartoons
Turbo Teen - Kid turns into red car
Mighty Orbots - Don't remember much about it just robots and some dude in charge of them
Shazam - I bet this show would blow if I saw it again
Rubiuk Cube - Yes a cartoon about Rubiuk cubes

And don't forget Chilly Willy...

Shows I remember a little better because I was older. Defenders of the Earth, Cops, Silverhawks, Galtar (Like Thundar, but with a lance), Wheeled Warriors...

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']Anybody remember the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon? Man, memories...[/quote]

Its getting a DVD release in the near future...

[quote name='cochesecochese']I love nostalgia threads. Unfortunately all my favorites are obviously reckonized by people in this thread. I really, really liked this cartoon from the 80's that had two forces in it (I can't remember the name of it).

It took place in outer space and there were good guys (white and orange ships/uniforms) and bad guys (black and purple duds) and the toys all had little magnets and motors in them. That show ruled.[/quote]

I think I know what you are talking about. I forgot all about that show. Starcom something something. I remember it was based on a toy and the good guys ships were white with the guns in orange...

It's ridiculous how many of these I had completely forgotten about but then recognized after 5 seconds of video. Man, I must have forgotten most of my childhood or something.

David the Gnome was the best cartoon ever. Everything about it was so somber and depressing, like the creators were only making episodes so they had a reason not to committ suicide.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Did anyone mention - Swat Katz: "The Radical Squadron"[/quote]

Yup, I think I was the first and a couple of people mentioned them. And Strell mentioned Camp Candy, I totally forgot about that one. I still remember waking up to watch that and then Captain N. I swear if I could time travel, going back to watching these shows is one of the sole things I do. That andgoing to concerts that happened before I was born. Beatles at Shea Stadium anyone? lol

so many shows, heres a couple

Dino Riders
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um5SwXEmGZE[/media]

Dinosaucers
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhJSD8RU4k[/media]

Count Duckula
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypgcXSLok4o[/media]

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']Anybody remember the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon? Man, memories...[/QUOTE]

Aww...yeah! I loved that cartoon! The Dungeon Master was a short little dude.

[quote name='Strell']Ok, now I remember the Count Duckula theme, but holy shit, that was muthafuckin' hardcore rockin' out shit, bitches.[/quote]

The intro was great, but the ending was the the shit:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40rDgZbdHw[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Purple Flames']The intro was great, but the ending was the the shit:
[/QUOTE]

Motherfucker.

I'm glad no one was around when I was watching this, because I was making all the little cut-out sounds that this thing did.

And I remember as a kid that the little monsters on the lady's head freaked the SHIT out of me, because I kept thinking such things existed that might munch upon my skull.

Also, Count Duckula sort of reminds me of Plucky. It's probably just due to the green color.

I hate how the Internet wasn't big when I was a kid. Then someone would have assuredly bittorrented all of this stuff at the time. Cartoons back then were hardcore. You don't see fucking BLOOD RITUALS in pussy cartoons today.

Nick really ought to get off its ass and be nice to us first generation Nick-kids, and release all of this stuff on DVD. All those oldschool depressing cartoons, all the one-shots, all the weird fucked up shit they had running around.

Also, my only grip with the Count Duckula stuff - where's the "Thames" image that used to show up during the credits? I have no idea why I remember that, but I do. I think it was a picture of the river Thames and Big Ben, and maybe it struck a few bell chords or something. I have no idea why I remember it so clearly.

anyone remember the mutant league cartoon? i cant find it on youtube but i def remember when it used to play on WPIX here in jersey...i loved it razor kid...bones justice...kt slayer ahh the memories...

how about these?
barnyard commandos
double dragon
family dog
pirates of dark water
reboot
skeleton warriors

I remember Cartoon Express on USA Network. It was on in the middle of the afternoon on weekends. Plus it was on sunday mornings. They would show all kinds of reruns on it...

Man anyone else like "Wildcats" and "Savage Dragon"? Dragon was truly great.

Also liked Eek as well. "Pirates Of Dark Water" was good as well but did it ever END end? I would've liked to see Ren collect all the jewels or does the game sum it up instead?
"Maxx" was good too, truly a nice little trip of an ending.

[quote name='kjauburn']I remember Cartoon Express on USA Network. It was on in the middle of the afternoon on weekends. Plus it was on sunday mornings. They would show all kinds of reruns on it...[/QUOTE]

Plus they showed shit like Street Fighter.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQyJwKKg1s&search=street%20fighter%20cartoon[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp3yuq6_slw[/media]

Here's another one from the mid-90s I remember being ok. I believe it was a continuation to Duck Tales. oh, and does anyone remember Science Court? It was an educational show animated in "Squigglevision".

[quote name='SMMM']
Here's another one from the mid-90s I remember being ok. I believe it was a continuation to Duck Tales. oh, and does anyone remember Science Court? It was an educational show animated in "Squigglevision".[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yes. It was hilarious, despite how "kiddy" it could get. There was essentially a McGuirk-type character running around that was a movie star and very successful, but did stuff his own way and didn't care for details. Really great show. I hope it gets the DVD treatment, considering Dr. Katz is heading that direction. Would be nice to have the entire catalog available.

Also, your clip reminded me of Goof Troop. At least, I think that is what it was called. The one with Goofy and his son Max. It was good for a laugh or two here and there.

[quote name='Strell']Oh hell yes. It was hilarious, despite how "kiddy" it could get. There was essentially a McGuirk-type character running around that was a movie star and very successful, but did stuff his own way and didn't care for details. Really great show. I hope it gets the DVD treatment, considering Dr. Katz is heading that direction. Would be nice to have the entire catalog available.

Also, your clip reminded me of Goof Troop. At least, I think that is what it was called. The one with Goofy and his son Max. It was good for a laugh or two here and there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think it was inspired by Goof Troop.

I mean, Quack Pack. Goof Troop. Basically writes itself.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']so many shows, heres a couple

Dinosaucers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhJSD8RU4k

[/quote] Dinosaucers was a great show. I love the shot at the end of the intro.

dinosaucers.jpg

has heathcliff been mentioned yet?
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63fEzacwaMI&search=heathcliff[/MEDIA]

Darkwing Duck... one of my friends remembered it once, but was trying to remember the theme, and I still remembered the whole thing.

Not a cartoon, but for some reason I remember Eureka's Castle back on Nickelodeon. Also, there was a Tales From the Crypt game show on for a while, and the Weird Al Show.

Also 9 out of 10 people I meet don't know there was a Clerks cartoon.

Oh, one more, there was some cartoon movie featuring like a whole bunch of cartoons, like Garfield and Bugs Bunny and stuff, and something to do with them stopping some kid from taking drugs, or something. That was great, man, I'd like to see that again.

bread's done
Back