Castlevania Chronicles 5.99 on PSN

This game is fucking hard on the highest difficulty.

Usually, I don't have a problem with the older-style Castlevania games, but this one is a pain.

I like Castlevania SNES and Dracula X more than this remake.

[quote name='opportunity777']This game is fucking hard on the highest difficulty.

Usually, I don't have a problem with the older-style Castlevania games, but this one is a pain.

I like Castlevania SNES and Dracula X more than this remake.[/QUOTE]

It's an old school platformer. Figure out the patterns and it's quite simple.

That's the challenge; it's a great title and while not a 'deal' since PSX games on PSN, whenever they're actually released, are all $5.99 (Symphony of the Night notwithstanding, but that was to keep parity with the XBLA version, methinks - or an excuse to give Konami more money). But $6 for a classic platformer is a great deal, I suppose.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's an old school platformer. Figure out the patterns and it's quite simple.

That's the challenge; it's a great title and while not a 'deal' since PSX games on PSN, whenever they're actually released, are all $5.99 (Symphony of the Night notwithstanding, but that was to keep parity with the XBLA version, methinks - or an excuse to give Konami more money). But $6 for a classic platformer is a great deal, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the NES CV games to be as hard as this one. I bought this for PS1 for $20. I really struggled to beat this a second time through because the game gets tougher.

For me, the NOMIS code makes the game impossible. Plain and simple, I'm just not good enough to avoid getting just hit once and dying. I need a safety net. :p

I played the Arranged Mode, but there is really no major differences between classic and regular.

Should this really be in the deals section?
I mean, yeah, it IS a good deal, but that is also the normal price for a PSOne classic title.

We don't put virtual console releases or Xbox classics games here, y'know?

[quote name='SDC']Should this really be in the deals section?
I mean, yeah, it IS a good deal, but that is also the normal price for a PSOne classic title.

We don't put virtual console releases or Xbox classics games here, y'know?[/quote]Compared to buying the PS1 disc for $20 new or a little less used, this is a deal, but I do see your point. Speaking of which, was this a US release on PS1 or did you guys import it?

[quote name='SALvation']Can you play this on your PSP via remote play?[/QUOTE]

No, but even better you can copy the whole game onto your PSP memory stick and play there. PS1 games on PSN are playable on both PS3 and PSP.

[quote name='dg7md']I never downloaded any PSX classics, are they optimized for HD?[/QUOTE]

The PS1 classics are exactly the same as they were before, so they are unfortunately not optimized for HD. The good news is that the PS3 can upscale and smooth the image so they look much better than they would if you simply plugged in an old PS1 or PS2. You can find the upscaling options under "game settings" in the PS3 menu.

jdawgg: It was released in America, yeah

SALvation: I'm pretty sure PSOne games are listed as PS3/PSP, so yeah, you should be able to.

[quote name='opportunity777']This game is fucking hard on the highest difficulty.[/quote]

I don't mean to be flip, but why, then, would you not lower the difficulty setting in that case, unless you have some masochistic bend that forces you to play all games on their most difficult options?

I agree with you, though; this is a toughie in general and a perhaps overly-faithful remake of a Japanese computer (VC something or other) version that was already a remake of the NES/Famicom original, Akumajou Dracula, in America, Castlevania. My point being it's just not as rich as even, say, Castlevania 3, which is frankly a phenomenal game (not sure which is harder! both make me wanna break things).

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']downloading this now... dumb question but can you save progress in the game? also how is this? as good and/or similar to SOTN?[/quote]

Slower-paced, and it'll look familiar if you played the NES original. It's a good game but is fairly dated. If you're a Castlevania fan it's basically like a historic game from how you can see how the series evolved.

You will never find a Castlevania, IMO, as pure as SOTN. Don't expect this to beat SOTN but it's a servicable game to a CV fan and is interesting based on the remake factor.

And yes progress can be saved.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I don't mean to be flip, but why, then, would you not lower the difficulty setting in that case, unless you have some masochistic bend that forces you to play all games on their most difficult options?

I agree with you, though; this is a toughie in general and a perhaps overly-faithful remake of a Japanese computer (VC something or other) version that was already a remake of the NES/Famicom original, Akumajou Dracula, in America, Castlevania. My point being it's just not as rich as even, say, Castlevania 3, which is frankly a phenomenal game (not sure which is harder! both make me wanna break things).[/QUOTE]

Lower the difficulty? I'm not some kind of wimp! :)

Yes, I have a masochistic bend to crank every game I play to the highest setting.

In general, I think the game is pretty difficult. Once I first got the hang of it, I cranked it up, but I was thrown on to my ass. The second play-through is just brutal.

Overall, the game is not as good as most others in the traditional pre-SOTN series. It's mostly for the curious and "masochistic."

In order of preference, my picks look like this: RoB, Super Cv IV, III, Bloodlines, I, this, II and the terrible SNES Dracula X.

Although, for some reason, I have a sick fascination with II. At times, I like it more than any other CV because it's much different.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='opportunity777']This game is fucking hard on the highest difficulty.[/quote]

If that's hard, Haunted Castle is diamond coated. Man, that game is brutal beyond all measure.

I got to the clocktower boss and died.

Seven times.

I swear, if I can just get through that one boss...

[quote name='dg7md']You will never find a Castlevania, IMO, as pure as SOTN. Don't expect this to beat SOTN...[/quote]

Man, I'm picking at everyone tonight. Sorry about that.

But what I want to say is--SotN, pure? If anything, this is pure Castlevania, and perhaps the best expression (as was mentioned) of pure Castlevania is Dracula X (Rondo of Blood, remade in the excellent PSP release, whose name escapes me--Dracula X Chronicles maybe?--, that includes the original Turbo Duo version, a remade version, and even SotN); SotN was the first to divurge from the "pure" formula and add, well, Metroid elements.

You're right, though; if you're expecting this one to be SotN, you'll be gravely (oh, the puns!) disappointed. Appreciated as its own beast, even kind of difficult on easy (if I remember correctly), it can be fun, and, as you say, historical; it might be nice to experience the Famicom originals, too. I wonder how many are available on the Virtual Console? Castlevania 3 is one of my all-time favorites.

[quote name='opportunity777']In order of preference, my [pre-SotN] picks look like this: RoB, Super Cv IV, III, Bloodlines, I, this, II and the terrible SNES Dracula X.

Although, for some reason, I have a sick fascination with II. At times, I like it more than any other CV because it's much different.[/quote]

Really, you like Super IV better than Bloodlines? I don't know why, but I never got into Super. I should play it sometime soon. But I always loved Bloodlines for some reason. Could have been all the glowing praise I read about it in GameFan Magazine that swayed me. :)

Yeah, Castle II is such an odd duck. I never realized its... flaws... at the time. I mean, it was so novel. In retrospect, I have realized it's kind of a mess, which makes Castle III all the more interesting.

But speaking of different Castlevanias, what do you think of the GBA and DS releases? The newest DS one is probably my favorite--Order of Ecclesia. It's just fantastic. Probably too easy for you, though. :) I mention it because it has you roaming around like in II instead of just in one, big castle.

And finally, to end this long-winded questionaire, what did you think of the 3D Castlevanias? I couldn't bring myself to enjoy anyone, although I certainly tried to like the first PS2 one. (I can't even remember the names.)

There's a new Castlevania game coming to the current-gen consoles. I would love it to play classically, but I fear it will be another 3D disaster. Or, maybe it'll be, gasp, a good 3D Castlevania, but I'm sure not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='opportunity777']What else should we expect? It was made to suck up quarters. :lol:

I agree. Haunted Castle is crazy hard.

Although, this guy has videos that show some pretty good CV playing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapelofResonance[/quote]

Jeez, that guy really loves Castlevania. I need to figure out what Haunted Castle is, though. An arcade game, apparently part of the Akumajou Dracula lineage? I will Wikipedia it.

Ah, it's yet another Akumajou Dracula remake. It's hard to sort it all out.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Jeez, that guy really loves Castlevania. I need to figure out what Haunted Castle is, though. An arcade game, apparently part of the Akumajou Dracula lineage? I will Wikipedia it.

Ah, it's yet another Akumajou Dracula remake. It's hard to sort it all out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a hard ass arcade game. Then again, I found most arcade games like that one to be crazy hard because I suck at them. :)

I'm fine with arcade fighting and racing games, but I stink at the rest.

I am having a lot of internet problems tonight with Crapcast. So, I typed a really long response to your questions and statements about the 3D versions, the series in general and etc., but I lost it all. Almost at the exact moment my cable modem stopped working, I hit the damn submit button. :whistle2:(

I won't type it again, but maybe I can summarize. I don't like the GBA versions as much as the DS ones. I have not played OoE. Back then, I actually kind of enjoyed playing CV64 and the sequel (don't remember name). Although, I know they are not really great games. I have never really played the GB iterations of the series. There is another CV1 "remake" amongst them, and I recall reading that it is terrible. Even with the 3D games flaws, I liked them, but I'm hoping Konami doesn't fuck up my fav character Alucard in the new one. I have not played the supposedly terrible Wii fighting game.

My previous post was much better, but I only have eight fingers because I had an accident, so I'm getting tired of typing long posts. :lol:

Comcast Digital Cable and Internet! It's Craptastic!

As a hardcore CV fanboy, I would love to get my hands on this for the PSP playability. Of course, went on my PS3 and couldn't find it when it was announced so I will just wait.

This game is very hard in the classic version, the remade version has the difficulty level scalable. I went through the remake on easy because I wanted to get through it and see what I was missing. Even then, it was quite frustrating so I am sure I will feel that very same way when I go to the classic version.

And, as a guy who played Haunted Castle and vs. Castlevania in the arcade way back in the day, I believe that CVIII is the best, period. Everything from SotN on isn't REALLY CV, even though SotN is a good game. It is all hybrid gaming, but that isn't a bad thing persay. Everything needs to change and it worked out well so far... except for the whole Castlevania for the Wii... ick.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Man, I'm picking at everyone tonight. Sorry about that.

But what I want to say is--SotN, pure? If anything, this is pure Castlevania, and perhaps the best expression (as was mentioned) of pure Castlevania is Dracula X (Rondo of Blood, remade in the excellent PSP release, whose name escapes me--Dracula X Chronicles maybe?--, that includes the original Turbo Duo version, a remade version, and even SotN); SotN was the first to divurge from the "pure" formula and add, well, Metroid elements.

You're right, though; if you're expecting this one to be SotN, you'll be gravely (oh, the puns!) disappointed. Appreciated as its own beast, even kind of difficult on easy (if I remember correctly), it can be fun, and, as you say, historical; it might be nice to experience the Famicom originals, too. I wonder how many are available on the Virtual Console? Castlevania 3 is one of my all-time favorites.[/quote]

I agree with what you're saying, but I meant pure just as in the most fun for me; it's my favorite Castlevania easily, but 3 is close.

When I was a kid, I absolutely loved playing through Castlevania (NES), Castlevania III (NES), and Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis) but after playing through Symphony of the Night, I found I just couldn't enjoy Castlevania Chronicles when it was first released on the PS1 and I even couldn't get into Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. It's the jumping and not-as-responsive-as-SOTN controls that really bothers me. It makes the game much harder than it has to be and also less enjoyable for me. Just my opinion, though, so good news for anyone that was looking for this game and thanks to Sony for finally putting a PS1 game up that people want.

[quote name='SDC']Should this really be in the deals section?

We don't put virtual console releases or Xbox classics games here, y'know?[/quote]

I think it's pretty reasonable to post it here. The PSP PSN release schedule is inconsistent at best and I personally appreciate any heads up on a quality product (which thankfully is becoming a more common occurrence on the service).

[quote name='greeble']I really like Dracula X Chronicles, so I take it this game is for me?[/quote]

Most likely, especially if you play as Richter more than Maria (since the game plays like a traditional Belmont game).

I may pick this up as I'm more a fan of CV3 and those type of "staged" CV games versus the new "collect souls" method adopted by the DS and GB entries. For me, SOtN was a great game (one of my favorites) but Konami took it too far after that an lost the core CV experience.

I would love to see them take a hard look at the CVs of the NES, SNES, and Genesis games and give a proper sequal to those games.

[quote name='SALvation']Can you play this on your PSP via remote play?[/QUOTE]

You can play these on your PSP WITHOUT remote play, its a PS1 game so its PS3 or PS1

Sadly SOTN makes all other games look not as good when held up in comparison

I bought it back in the day and was completely disapointed. Had it been a full remake of Castlevania 1 even with Playstation 1 quality 2D graphics and audio (or better still now...PS3), but it's not even that. It's a port of some late 80's computer version or something along those lines.

But for $6... it's not going to be the worst use of money ever.

[quote name='Arakias']is this a special holiday/bargain price or its the normal price if i dont order this week?[/quote]

should be the normal price, but the actual psone game sells for well over 20 bucks...this is such a deal if you own ps3.

Be warned that it's a short game, though. It is a remake after all. The ebay prices are mainly collector's prices.

Still more than worth it, and the $5.99 price reflects the typical price for this kind of game (closest thing would be Super Castlevania on the VC for $8).

Probably not much. And honestly it's more of a curiosity than anything.

I assume you can buy a copy and run it on your Playstation Portable AND Playstation 3...so that's pretty cool. But no one better be getting this if they don't have Symphony of the Night...I mean that's 100,000x better, conservatively speaking.

Actually I'm thinking of getting either Jetmoto or Jetmoto2.
Has anybody given either of these a shot? If so, are they worth the 5.99?

[quote name='destro4eva']Any chance this comes to Xbox Live?[/QUOTE]
Most likely no - it's a PS1 game and would require actual work to move to Live!.

[quote name='sunnysky']Actually I'm thinking of getting either Jetmoto or Jetmoto2.
Has anybody given either of these a shot? If so, are they worth the 5.99?[/QUOTE]
Well, Jetmoto was awesome back in the day. But I don't know if I'd still spend $5.99 on it now. It's probably pretty rough around the edges now like most first-generation 3D games.

Played it on PSP a year ago right after I was with SoTN, really disappointing & felt like a step backwards. Then again, I only prefer the Metroidvanias with RPG aspects over simple hack & slash & linear platforming.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Probably not much. And honestly it's more of a curiosity than anything.

I assume you can buy a copy and run it on your Playstation Portable AND Playstation 3...so that's pretty cool. But no one better be getting this if they don't have Symphony of the Night...I mean that's 100,000x better, conservatively speaking.[/QUOTE]Depends on which style you prefer. This Castlevania is oldschool design at it's finest. It actually feels "fresher" than the surplus of Metroidvania games we've been getting lately, which I also enjoy.

bread's done
Back