Castlevania: Lords of Shadow $15/$16 at Amazon

These prices are a steal for this gem.

For anyone interested, this was a very underrated game that was extremely creative and one of the most memorable games I've played in a long time. Also, the DLC really brings the story together.

I'm hoping for a sequel.

All of them are fullfilled by Amazon.com.

It's a crapshoot. I'd rather buy directly from Amazon.com. But at least they have a good return policy in case you end up with a used game.

[quote name='freeza']>gem.
>very underrated
>extremely creative
>memorable
>DLC[/QUOTE]
No on all accounts. I give it a 6/10 at best due to
-Generic titans fights (honestly, do you have to repeat EXACTLY what SoTC did?)
-Drab combat that mirrors GoW as in you only really need the same one or two moves over & over.
-Moronic puzzles where you just slide things around with a mega punch. Did I mention they're all on rails?
-QTEs
-Cutscenes that have to point out the obvious for a whole year. I'm aware you can skip MOST of them but the ones that don't have to show you where the goddamn bar is so you can insert it into some crankshaft of whatever. I'm playing on Paladin, I think I know what to do here =\
-Let's not forget those Chupacabra parts. Who the hell thought that was a good idea, honestly?
-As for the last part about DLC, it's disgusting how they expect people to pay for what's basically an epilogue, a continuation of sorts. That garbage should NEVER be allowed but one person with a brain will always get overshadowed by one hundred sheeps with loose wallets.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']No on all accounts. I give it a 6/10 at best due to
-Drab combat that mirrors GoW as in you only really need the same one or two moves over & over.
-Moronic puzzles where you just slide things around with a mega punch. Did I mention they're all on rails?
-QTEs
-Cutscenes that have to point out the obvious for a whole year. I'm aware you can skip MOST of them but the ones that don't have to show you where the goddamn bar is so you can insert it into some crankshaft of whatever. I'm playing on Paladin, I think I know what to do here =\
-Let's not forget those Chupacabra parts. Who the hell thought that was a good idea, honestly?
-As for the last part about DLC, it's disgusting how they expect people to pay for what's basically an epilogue, a continuation of sorts. That garbage should NEVER be allowed but one person with a brain will always get overshadowed by one hundred sheeps with loose wallets.[/QUOTE]

Your reply was a bit harsh and mean in my opinion since that is that persons opinion but I agree with you. I dont know if this is rare but i hate games with levels whete you progress through the story, level ends, it rates you and it asks you to do it again or move on. I like more of a big sweeping story that has levels but its seemless i.e. Uncharted 3. It also felt like a bland GOW clone and my used purchase became a flip rather quickly.

-QTEs
-As for the last part about DLC, it's disgusting how they expect people to pay for what's basically an epilogue, a continuation of sorts. That garbage should NEVER be allowed but one person with a brain will always get overshadowed by one hundred sheeps with loose wallets.[/QUOTE]

I will agree that pretty much everything that you mentioned are minor faults of the games (specifically the Chupacabra parts, seriously. WTF??), however, I still had a markably good time with it. The gameplay was smooth, controls on point, a good length story/campaign, and the production values were high (the soundtrack in particular).

I seriously think many dismissed it since it wasn't originally a Castlevania game yet they [Konami] shoe-horned it into being one.

I have some friends who are rabid Castlevania fanboys who flat out rage and refuse to acknowledge this game as part of the Castlevania universe.

This was the first game I got a platinum trophy in and I agree that it is fairly mediocre (7/10). There's a lot of upgrades but the combat still ends up shallow and repetitive. The art style of the environments is fantastic, but I never felt a connection to it with the way the game is structure. Puzzles and QTE aren't great by any means, but they added a bit of variety.

I disagree with your point on the DLC. Just don't buy it and judge the product on what it delivers out of the box. The game had enough content and the ending was better and more interesting than many modern game endings.

I have the PS3 version at 16.20 but I just bought a copy for 15.94 with fulfillment by Amazon.

I like games where you can go back to a level and collect stuff that was previously unattainable without having to play the whole game over again, such as GOW. Every game copies a game that came previously but Lords of Shadow put everything together nicely.
Maybe one day in a perfect world there won't be any DLC and everything will be included in one package but until then, sometimes the DLC is necessary to complete a story.
I still recommend this game wholly and for anyone on the fence, it is def worth a try for these prices. The game uses the classic Horror franchise mythology beautifully and integrates it so nicely into the story. Also, as a reminder, the Metacritic score is 85 if you want to read up on some reviews.

Tempted to bite on this one... though I think a lot of us are wishing it were about 5 bucks cheaper. :p It'd be a must buy for me at that price... I might hold out in hopes for a Gamefly sale where I can use my 5 buck coupon... I can already get it a buck cheaper that way anyway.

Either way thanks OP.

-QTEs

$15 is about right for this game. I paid $12.99 from Gamefly used and enjoyed, but then shipped it right back out on Amazon. Most your points are pretty on topic. Especially the chupacabra parts. WTF was that?

And the game is very LOOOOONG for a game like this. Some people think the more the better, and if you do, then this game is for you.

For me, they could have chopped 4-5 hours out and I would have been just fine.

Got my 360 version also from BB last month for $8... seeing how it included a digital download of Castlevania SOTN, made it a no brainer...

[quote name='zman73']Got my 360 version also from BB last month for $8... seeing how it included a digital download of Castlevania SOTN, made it a no brainer...[/QUOTE]
I didn't think the Xbox version included sotn?

I enjoyed the game quite a bit for what I played of it. I would recommend it if you like games like god of war and it is the.closest you will get on the Xbox. I loved the.god of war series. If you find the collecters edition the art book is pretty sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did not like this as much as I had hoped. And I liked most of the Castlevania games. Seemed like too much of a departure. Still want to finish this though.

[quote name='freeza']I like games where you can go back to a level and collect stuff that was previously unattainable without having to play the whole game over again, such as GOW. Every game copies a game that came previously but Lords of Shadow put everything together nicely.
Maybe one day in a perfect world there won't be any DLC and everything will be included in one package but until then, sometimes the DLC is necessary to complete a story.
[/QUOTE]

DLC will never go away and will probably increase as the years go on. It's more money and can't be resold.

I'm still sore from missing the BBY $8 deal...so now I'm not willing to pay more than that. My backlog is OK w/ that.

Great game, definitely recommended. A lot longer than I expected (in a good way).

I'm surprised it's still hovering at this high of a price given the lackluster sales.

[quote name='YONKE']waiting for at least a 29.99 drop on the XB360 limited edition.... patience......[/QUOTE]

The collectors edition of this game was transfered from new to used in gamestop. i picked one up for the PS3 like 2 weeks ago. so if you can find one its listed online for 29.99

Pretty solid game with a few epic moments and a fantastic soundtrack. Yeah it is a Dante's/GOW/SOTC clone in a lot of ways but in terms of which universe I care about the most it is Castlevania since I grew up on that franchise.

But to be honest it is only really good for 1 play through, the ending is kinda whack/cool, and the DLC is way overpriced or what you get. Both chapters for 800pts maybe would be acceptable but 800pts each? No way.

Damn it... waiting for a drop and I just don't have any room in the budget right now... I can only hope for a Price drop at Gamestop since I have credit there. :(

Don't worry dude I think this title is heading to the $14.99 price point new across the board (all retailers) soon.

I have this, but not played it yet. I heard it's like Devil May Cry. Not sure I'm gonna dig that, but hey it says Castlevania and I'm a Castlevania whore, so I had to buy it.

13.74 for Xbox360. I don't really care if it goes any lower. I mean I know Konami got paid already, but I feel that price is fair for the game, considering the kind of shit XBLA expects you to pay 15 dollars for.

[quote name='Dread Fox']Don't worry dude I think this title is heading to the $14.99 price point new across the board (all retailers) soon.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice. :)

I've had this in the backlog for roughly a month after finding it on Target. It wouldn't scan, so they gave it to me for $10. Haven't had a chance to play it, but as a God of War fan, I'm looking forward to it.

[quote name='hasturyo']The collectors edition of this game was transfered from new to used in gamestop. i picked one up for the PS3 like 2 weeks ago. so if you can find one its listed online for 29.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks , in the weekend going to search for one........

[quote name='TooPoor']15.42 for ps3 but i have to get 10 dollar more for free shipping, can't think of anything:whee:
[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered Diablo 3 to get the free shipping and you can alway's just cancel D3 if you don't actually want to buy it since you don't pay till it ships.

is it bad that i am still waiting for a better price for ps3 on a game i actually want. i played god of war origins, god of war collection, and god of war 3 in the span of a few months so i can definitely wait on a gow type game

bread's done
Back