Cat Issue

daria19

CAGiversary!
Does anyone have the problem of a cat deciding to wake them up at 4 am, and being quite persistant about this so ignoring them is very difficult? How did you deal with this (without getting rid of the cat, which I know that at least one person would say)?

[quote name='daria19']Does anyone have the problem of a cat deciding to wake them up at 4 am, and being quite persistant about this so ignoring them is very difficult? How did you deal with this (without getting rid of the cat, which I know that at least one person would say)?[/QUOTE]
This is why cats are put outside at night. If you are keeping it a strictly indoor cat then the AM wakeup call is the price you pay.

Does it have food? How about it's litter box is it clean? Aside from that I wouldn't advise locking it out of your room as it will persist to attack the door/carpet/floor in attempts to get in.

Maybe a squirt gun will dissuade it *shrugs* I'm still trying to get my cat to stop clawing my mattress.

r1s3n

I have problems with cat getting on my fucking car. They're dirty fucking paws are ruining my clean car. :bomb: Next time I see them on there, my alarm is going off. Teach those fuckers to get off my car. :lol:

[quote name='jmcc']Helpful hint: cats can't take a punch so well.[/QUOTE]

My siamese cat sleeps in my bedroom, usually on my bed. I accidentally punch him in my sleep, as I toss and turn.

Makes me feel bad. :(

It's not just cats.

If you happen to have a nearly 10-year-old ChiaPoo who's recovering from paralysis... she'll wake up at 5 a.m. and want to eat. But just like that book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."

If you feed her at 5 a.m., she'll want some fresh water to drink. If you give her water... she'll want to use the bathroom... after she uses the bathroom... she'll want to play... after she plays, she wants to watch Animal Planet... after Animal Planet for about 30 minutes, she'll get sleepy... when she gets sleepy, she'll want to sleep at your side... by sleeping at your side, you are stuck in one sleeping position... you don't get to sleep well (not that I sleep well, anyway)... the cycle repeats during the day and in the morning again...

At least my dog is happy and healthy, though. And now she can walk some. But still, couldn't she wait until a more reasonable morning hour for her first meal? Shit, why do I have such a soft spot for her? :lol:

My cat usually sleeps during the day and plays a night. It meows when it playing with it's toys in sort of a 'look what I can do!' fashion. I just take her fucking toys away so there is less for her to do and become sleepy from boredom.

You could also take the day off work and come back home with an airhorn and wake thier ass up when they are sleeping. I'm sure that would get your point across :twisted:

[quote name='supadupacheap']This is why cats are put outside at night. If you are keeping it a strictly indoor cat then the AM wakeup call is the price you pay.[/QUOTE]

Wha? I have had many cats growing up and have 2 now, and never once have they woke me up. Sure, they are awake at night, but they're not disturbing me.

[quote name='CappyCobra']My cat usually sleeps during the day and plays a night.[/QUOTE]

Cats are nocturnal. All cats sleep during the day and are awake at night. :lol:

[quote name='Trakan']
Cats are nocturnal. All cats sleep during the day and are awake at night. :lol:[/QUOTE]

ChiaPoos are up 24 hours a day. They can be dead tired, but dangle some food in front of them, and they are a brand new puppy all over again. :)

[quote name='Trakan']Cats are nocturnal. All cats sleep during the day and are awake at night. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Cats aren't really nocturnal. They sleep 18 - 20 hours a day, on and off.

They sleep 70% of their lives. And even more shocking, they spend 15% grooming.

Lions sleep a full 20 hours a day. I want that life. ;o

I think most people with indoor cats have this problem. My cats are pretty good about not waking us up early for food.

Just make sure they have dry food out, water, and clean litter boxes. If they have that and bug you in the morning, have a water gun or bottle there. It only takes a couple of times for my two cats to get the message.

I don't see how this is a problem, myself. Don't you have a door on your room? If they decide they want to play the "scratch the door until you wake up" game, get a couple of brass kickplates and mount them both on the door so there's nothing to get a claw-hold in.

[quote name='jmcc']I don't see how this is a problem, myself. Don't you have a door on your room? If they decide they want to play the "scratch the door until you wake up" game, get a couple of brass kickplates and mount them both on the door so there's nothing to get a claw-hold in.[/QUOTE]

Cats can still make noise, though. Granted, it's not as annoying as a bark (like a certain ChiaPoo I've mentioned), but it can annoy.

try playing with it for a while before you goto bed, that way it will sleep in longer. When my cat does this I just pretend to not wake up and it eventually stops and goes back to sleep with me. If she sees my eyes open she will continue to bug me.
Best bet is to tire your cat out before you goto bed and it will sleep in later.

There are several things you can try:

1) Close the door to your bedroom at night
2) Feed your cat just before you go to sleep
3) Play with your cat before you go to sleep
4) Or just push the cat out of your bed (it'll take a few tries, but he'll get it very quickly not to bother you at night)

Keep a spray bottle of water on your nightstand. When it bothers you give it a shot in the face, harmless but very good at promoting learned behavior.

How old is your cat? When I first got Mr Kitty he was a lil kitten and he would always have to sleep on my chest or lay on my pillow. I was a deep sleeper and it didn't bother me so I let him do it. I'd get woke up every now and then with him biting on my goatee though. Now he's about 11 months and he sleeps in a chair, probably I moved around to much for him.

Here's my advice:
-Get a squirt bottle and when the cat gets on the bed squirt it, after a few times it'll learn.
- If you see it sleeping during the day, WAKE IT UP. Your not paying him to nap, your paying him to cat around.
- Dry food out and fresh water.
- Clean litter box, my cat will remind me if I forget to change the box.

Only real problem I ever have now is he'll just run up wrap his arms around peoples legs and bite the fuck out of you for no reason and run away. I think it's funny but others dont. :lol:

You have to give your pussy a good work out before bed and it will sleep all night.

No really no joke in that (yes it was sorta) but if it's to tired from playing it will rest good and not wake you in the morning.

[quote name='supadupacheap']This is why cats are put outside at night. If you are keeping it a strictly indoor cat then the AM wakeup call is the price you pay.[/QUOTE]

Outdoor cats (even if it's not a fully outdoor cat) have a high risk of disease, and a much shorter life expectancy due to fights, disease, cars etc. Putting a declawed cat outside is even worse, since its main defense has been removed. Most cat shelters around here won't let you adopt a cat unless you agree to make it an indoor only cat.

Personally, I've found 2 dead cats in my yard that appeared to be killed by racoons, and a cat I used to play with a lot (lived across the street but was an indoor/outdoor cat that kept coming in my yard) died of FIV (like HIV except for cats) a month or so ago.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']What about just closing the door to your room?[/QUOTE]

She likes to knead my hair when she gets the chance, so I have never let her in my room. The door is closed, but she cries and will claw at the door until I pay attention to her. Sometimes she actually wants something like food, but she also will do this if she just wants attention. (She is not declawed, and was a stray. Fortunately the former owners at least had the sense to spay her.)

You are bad luck ;), after not doing it in forever this morning my cat came up and just sat beside and meowed untill i got up and gave it food. I layed back down but he just kept waking me up about every hour or so wanting to play. I never should have taught him to play fetch. :cry:

[quote name='daria19']She likes to knead my hair when she gets the chance, so I have never let her in my room. The door is closed, but she cries and will claw at the door until I pay attention to her. Sometimes she actually wants something like food, but she also will do this if she just wants attention. (She is not declawed, and was a stray. Fortunately the former owners at least had the sense to spay her.)[/QUOTE]
Oh, ok. So in your original post you were saying that the cat wakes you up in the middle of the night, from the other side of the door?

My cat did that when we first got her, but now she mostly just sleeps with us at night, or plays in another room and doesn't bother us. Then she's awake during the day while we're up, though she does nap a lot. Humans can become nocturnal, and cats can become somewhat diurnal if you just make them get used to it.

closing the door won't work, they hate closed doors and make a lot of noise if it's closed.

[quote name='Brak']Cats aren't really nocturnal. They sleep 18 - 20 hours a day, on and off.

They sleep 70% of their lives. And even more shocking, they spend 15% grooming.

Lions sleep a full 20 hours a day. I want that life. ;o[/QUOTE]

In general, cats actually are nocturnal. You are correct that they sleep that much but they are generally more active at night.

bread's done
Back