Catherine: Love is over Deluxe Edition (360/PS3) $69.99 at Amazon.com

[quote name='Kenshindono']I dont buy them to resell them, I buy them to collect. I'm saying the issue is whether you should buy their games at launch or several months to years later hoping for a price drop. The problem is you dont know what will actually be rare and what wont be. People are claiming that no atlus games are rare this generation, and im saying thats BS. There are plenty that have gone up in price

And the fact that the games a year and a half old doesn't change anything. Theres tons of games older than that that are way cheaper. You know what else is about a year and half old and is still balls cheap? Mimana: Iyar Chronicle. it goes for less than 20 bucks most of the time. Lots of games go out of print, the question is how rare they will be at that time and how much stock there is when they do.

It seems there wasn't much stock for crimsongem or Hexyz force. And a lot of Atlus games are hit and miss on what has a surplus and what does not.[/QUOTE]

But that's exactly my point. You waited too long to buy the games at retail and now they have gone up a little. They aren't rare (i.e. there are multiple copies on Ebay at all times) and you can still get them for $20-$30 more than retail. Rather than buying every game at full price just to avoid having to pay more for the occasional ones that go up in price, just accept the higher price on these few and you will more than make up for it in all the games like this one that drop in value right after launch.

[quote name='CaoPi']did they patch the audio problem for this game yet?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they didn't since nobody answer my question? I know the japanese ver got a patch...It's annoying how the audio is low as it's set in 5.1 during the cut scenes and it's normal during gameplay.

Honestly if you want NEW game you should always get them on week 1. If there is a price drop you save maybe $5-10. However if they go up it will be easily double. Try finding new copies of Class of Hero or Monster Kingdom.

[quote name='StarKnightX']While not directly tied to or effecting rarity , but it can factor into things is digital releases of games (mostly PSP games as of now). While Hexyz force and Crimson Gem Saga might be rare (or uncommon whatever) that only really matters if your collecting them or just want to play them. You said you collect them so I can understand your frustration , but for me while I am potentially interested in collecting them , simply being able to play them is more important , so being readily available on PSN for a reasonable price works out just fine for me. I think companies like Atlus , NIS , XSeed , ect. have the most to gain from DD since there's less potential risk involved and more to gain from fans who just want to be able to get and play the games without worrying about them going OOP or becoming rare.
[/QUOTE]

that is a good point about digital download. But as you say, that only applies to people who just want to play the game and thats it. As a collector Digital downloads are just fail for me. You dont actually own anything, and have to deal with DRM issues which is a no go for me.

It is great for those who dont care about that though

[quote name='bojay1997']But that's exactly my point. You waited too long to buy the games at retail and now they have gone up a little. They aren't rare (i.e. there are multiple copies on Ebay at all times) and you can still get them for $20-$30 more than retail. Rather than buying every game at full price just to avoid having to pay more for the occasional ones that go up in price, just accept the higher price on these few and you will more than make up for it in all the games like this one that drop in value right after launch.[/QUOTE]

yes.. they are rare. Not uber rare, but rare enough that you cant just find it on amazon or anything anymore. You have to go through a 3rd party and pay an inflated price thats at least double what it was before. You seem to be missing my point; There are tons of games you can wait a long time on and they become rare, with inflated prices. And there are a lot that drop a crap ton in price. Its really hard to guess whats what. Using Hexyz force as an example, there are only about 6 copies right now on ebay brand new, and the cheapest is about 60 bucks. Thats double the price when it launched. I wouldn't call 6 copies a lot. Using radiant historia as an example, thats prety rare any way you look at it. I only see 2 brand new copies on ebay of the limited first print and they are listed from 80-100 bucks. My world my way seems to go for a crap ton as well and isn't listed brand new very often at all.

There are also TONS of games that have gone way down in price. 60 dollar + launch games that are now gotten easily for less than 20 dollars. If i understand what your saying, your just saying screw it and wait for everything to drop in price. Then just hope that it doesn't become rare and more than double in price. As a collector i cant really do that. There are some games that become incredibly hard to find, and even harder and more expensive with the pre-order bonus. I.E. hyperdimensional Neptuna. Im glad i bought it at launch. Brand new with the playing cards I only see one listed for 150 dollars.

It really is a crap shoot. The one thing that seems to effect it more though are pre-order bonus's. Like Hyperdimensional Neptuna's cards and stuff. The pre-order bonus with catherine was just packaged with the special edition and wasn't a true pre order bonus. Anyone who got a copy got one. They should have listed it as a '1st print' bonus. Its a roll of the dice on whether a game will be rare or not down the road

Of course this doesn't really apply for major release games like infamous, halo, ect. Those things are manufactured up the arse it seems

Bah, I want to add this weird collector's edition to my sealed collection (I'll find a cheap used copy to play one day), but I can wait out another drop, at least.

[quote name='Kenshindono']that is a good point about digital download. But as you say, that only applies to people who just want to play the game and thats it. As a collector Digital downloads are just fail for me. You dont actually own anything, and have to deal with DRM issues which is a no go for me.

It is great for those who dont care about that though

yes.. they are rare. Not uber rare, but rare enough that you cant just find it on amazon or anything anymore. You have to go through a 3rd party and pay an inflated price thats at least double what it was before. You seem to be missing my point; There are tons of games you can wait a long time on and they become rare, with inflated prices. And there are a lot that drop a crap ton in price. Its really hard to guess whats what. Using Hexyz force as an example, there are only about 6 copies right now on ebay brand new, and the cheapest is about 60 bucks. Thats double the price when it launched. I wouldn't call 6 copies a lot. Using radiant historia as an example, thats prety rare any way you look at it. I only see 2 brand new copies on ebay of the limited first print and they are listed from 80-100 bucks. My world my way seems to go for a crap ton as well and isn't listed brand new very often at all.

There are also TONS of games that have gone way down in price. 60 dollar + launch games that are now gotten easily for less than 20 dollars. If i understand what your saying, your just saying screw it and wait for everything to drop in price. Then just hope that it doesn't become rare and more than double in price. As a collector i cant really do that. There are some games that become incredibly hard to find, and even harder and more expensive with the pre-order bonus. I.E. hyperdimensional Neptuna. Im glad i bought it at launch. Brand new with the playing cards I only see one listed for 150 dollars.

It really is a crap shoot. The one thing that seems to effect it more though are pre-order bonus's. Like Hyperdimensional Neptuna's cards and stuff. The pre-order bonus with catherine was just packaged with the special edition and wasn't a true pre order bonus. Anyone who got a copy got one. They should have listed it as a '1st print' bonus. Its a roll of the dice on whether a game will be rare or not down the road

Of course this doesn't really apply for major release games like infamous, halo, ect. Those things are manufactured up the arse it seems[/QUOTE]

Look, I have been collecting games since 1987 and while I understand your point, it's just not valid for modern games. A rare game is something that only shows up on Ebay once a year or once every few years. Heck, I own several games that have literally never shown up on Ebay because there are a total of under a dozen copies in the world. The fact that there are 5-6 copies of a game at all times on Ebay for $30 more than MSRP is interesting and it probably means there are a number of speculators trying to keep the price inflated, but it's not a sign that the game is "rare". The vast majority of games end up at $20 or less within a year of release and many end up under $10 in the third part resale market further down the road. I would say roughly 10% of all games ever maintain their value and of those, maybe 10% (i.e. 1% of the total games released) increase in value significantly in the resale market. Buying 100% of games from Atlus, NIS, etc...at launch increases your odds of getting one of those in demand valuable games, but you will waste tons of money doing it. You are much better off waiting for a deal on most games and if you happen to miss a valuable game, just picking it up at the inflated price down the road because spending 3-5X MSRP on 1% of games is a much better investment than spending 100% of MSRP or more on every game that comes out long-term.

CAG sure loves this special edition. If it drops a bit more i may join you guys!

mbQst.jpg

[quote name='bojay1997']Look, I have been collecting games since 1987 and while I understand your point, it's just not valid for modern games. A rare game is something that only shows up on Ebay once a year or once every few years. Heck, I own several games that have literally never shown up on Ebay because there are a total of under a dozen copies in the world. The fact that there are 5-6 copies of a game at all times on Ebay for $30 more than MSRP is interesting and it probably means there are a number of speculators trying to keep the price inflated, but it's not a sign that the game is "rare". The vast majority of games end up at $20 or less within a year of release and many end up under $10 in the third part resale market further down the road. I would say roughly 10% of all games ever maintain their value and of those, maybe 10% (i.e. 1% of the total games released) increase in value significantly in the resale market. Buying 100% of games from Atlus, NIS, etc...at launch increases your odds of getting one of those in demand valuable games, but you will waste tons of money doing it. You are much better off waiting for a deal on most games and if you happen to miss a valuable game, just picking it up at the inflated price down the road because spending 3-5X MSRP on 1% of games is a much better investment than spending 100% of MSRP or more on every game that comes out long-term.[/QUOTE]

well just have to agree to disagree. The bolded text in your quote is just wrong in my opinion. A rare game is not just a game that almost never shows up on Ebay or other auction sites, like Stadium Events. Those are super rare games, but there are different grades of rarity. Suikoden II for the PS1 is pretty rare. They didn't make many copies of it because they didn't expect to sell much. It usually goes for about 100 bucks used. But there are usually copies to be found on ebay (finding a good one is another issue) Compare that to, say, Final fantasy VII which is usually about 15 bucks or less. By your logic neither one of those is rare and they're in the same category.

Just some uber rare item that only had a few copies released to the public, or some VGA rated game s not the end all and be all of rarity. As many people have stated try finding a new copy of Monster Kingdom or Class of heroes or something at a reasonable price.. you cant. They have doubled or trippled in price.

but whatever, your point is just that you think its better to wait on everything. I cant do that, because it does become next to impossible to find stuff with pre-order bonus's down the road. I guess thats a feasible option with things without preorder omake stuff, but a lot of companies are ticking the collectors appetite for that crap. HOnestly if i had known the pre order bonus would just be thrown in the box with the game with Catherine i would have waited

Im actually regretting not getting class of heroes several months back. Amazon had it for about 20 bucks but i didn't get it because the reviews i saw were pretty bad. Now its gonna cost quite a bit more on the reseller market

[quote name='Japakneez']CAG sure loves this special edition. If it drops a bit more i may join you guys!

mbQst.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol jesus christ, plz tell me thats not you >_

[quote name='CaoPi']I'm guessing they didn't since nobody answer my question? I know the japanese ver got a patch...It's annoying how the audio is low as it's set in 5.1 during the cut scenes and it's normal during gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying the cutscenes are in 5.1 DD but the rest of the game is in stereo? PS3 or 360, or both? The volume jumps like 50% when transitioning from cutscene to gameplay? I don't have the game yet but if that's what you are talking about, that is a pretty series problem.

Can't wait for the Black Friday surfing Amazon and listening to the CAGcast Super Show of Savings. It's become a sort of tradition for me. I don't go out to stores anymore, it sucks too bad. Also Amazon pretty much has plenty of lightening deals between Black Friday and Christmas so odds are fairly good you will see this and other games you were waiting for to drop in price that have been released in the past couple years.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Are you saying the cutscenes are in 5.1 DD but the rest of the game is in stereo? PS3 or 360, or both? The volume jumps like 50% when transitioning from cutscene to gameplay? I don't have the game yet but if that's what you are talking about, that is a pretty series problem.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's very apparent in the demo as well and something I personally had a major problem with.
I wasn't aware that the Japanese version had a patch to fix this, though... Is this really true? That needs to get over to the U.S. version immediately.

[quote name='Asperatus']Yeah, it's very apparent in the demo as well and something I personally had a major problem with.
I wasn't aware that the Japanese version had a patch to fix this, though... Is this really true? That needs to get over to the U.S. version immediately.[/QUOTE]

I tried both the PS3 and 360 demos and noticed the PS3 version is worse in this regard. If there's a patch, I hope it gets here soon. I just ordered the PS3 Love is Over edition because the PS3 has smoother cutscenes based on the demo.

bread's done
Back