Catholic League Calls Off Wal-Mart Boycott

MrBadExample

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
By KELLY P. KISSEL, Associated Press Writer Fri Nov 11, 2:50 PM ET
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A Roman Catholic civil rights group called off a boycott of Wal-Mart on Friday after the world's largest retailer apologized for an employee's e-mail that called Christmas a mix of world religions.

"This is a sweet victory for the Catholic League, Christians in general, and people of all faiths," said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, said in a statement on the group's Web site.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Thursday that a customer-service employee named Kirby had written an inappropriate e-mail to a woman who complained that the retailer had replaced a "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays." It also said Kirby no longer worked for Wal-Mart.

Kirby wrote that Christmas resulted from traditions ranging from Siberian shamanism to Visigoth calendars.

"Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses (sic), mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world," Kirby wrote.

Wal-Mart spokesman Dan Fogleman said Kirby's e-mail — sent without any review by other employees — did not represent Wal-Mart's policies.

"We sincerely apologize to any person or organization that was offended by the inappropriate and inflammatory comments made by this former associate," Fogleman said.

Fogleman said employees will continue to wish people "Happy Holidays" because the greeting is more inclusive.

Donohue said the practice, though "dumb," was never part of his group's complaint.

"We only trigger boycotts when we've been grossly offended," he said.

link

I guess now that they boycott's off, they will have plenty of time to root out the sex offenders in the clergy. :roll:

Donohue is a douchebag, not just for this but for everything else I've seen him protest. He's loud, obnoxious, close-minded and prefers to shout down anyone who disagrees with him.

Great, they got a guy fired for acknowledging that modern christmas traditions are a hodgepodge of customs from many cultures and religions. How pre-Enlightenment of them.

And to call the more inclusive "Happy Holidays" greeting "dumb", is just, well, dumb.

So being educated and knowing history is now a firing-level offense at Walmart? Actually, I guess I'm not that surprised...

someone had so much nothing to do they noticed the sign said happy holidays instead of merry christmas? who thinks like this?

[quote name='2poor']someone had so much nothing to do they noticed the sign said happy holidays instead of merry christmas? who thinks like this?[/QUOTE]

According to bill o reilly the majority of christians are offended by seeing "happy holidays" instead of christmas. He claims he's going to conduct a scientific survey to prove this.

i dont think the majority of christians really care. its that small minority of christian nuts that really notice something small like switching holidays and christmas.

[quote name='2poor']i dont think the majority of christians really care. its that small minority of christian nuts that really notice something small like switching holidays and christmas.[/QUOTE]

Noticing & overreacting are 2 different things. I was raised Catholic but I'm grounded in logic enough to know that Xmas isn't all about Jesus. Historically speaking, even if someone is talkin' about Jesus' birth, dec. 25 is the wrong time period to celebrate it. It would make more sense to do so around September since it is believed, according to current anthropological thinking, that due to shepherds being out that night, it wouldn't make sense for them to be shivering in the cold winter night. If anything, it would make more sense to say that Jesus was 'conceived' sometime in late december/early January of the previous year since being born in September. Plus, there's the ever popular reason it was celebrated, the Saturnalia, the celebration of the winter solstice, a pagan festival to celebrate the return of the sun. Since it would be easier to replace a pagan festival with their own instead of outright outlawing it, it makes sense for the church to integrate a pagan festival and claim it for its own. Made for getting converts easier.

It's only the extremists that really embarass me. It's like claiming that crazy ass lady from Trading Spouses is a fair representation of all Christians - totally unfounded.

[quote name='2poor']i dont think the majority of christians really care. its that small minority of christian nuts that really notice something small like switching holidays and christmas.[/QUOTE]

I personally don't care. Due to the political correctness issues, it is "happy holidays" at work and the Christmas vacation is referred to as a winter holiday. There are only a few Christians where I work, and the company is paranoid about being sued for religious discrimination.

Many people don't care, but if Bill O'Reilly and John Gibson continually bray about it, then viewers will get the idea that there truly is a constituency of people outraged at "Happy Holidays."

An informal survey on if people care or not: Gibson's book "The War on Christmas" is #103 in books at Amazon. Not that I know what that means. People are buying it, but for a 3 week old book, that's not too hot.

gift giving holidays have little to no meaning anymore anyway. They have been turned into a pure capitalistic carnival with only the traces of religion remaining.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']gift giving holidays have little to no meaning anymore anyway. They have been turned into a pure capitalistic carnival with only the traces of religion remaining.[/QUOTE]

Unfortuantely, that seems to be the case for most people. They were starting to set up "winter holiday" decorations several weeks before halloween, and now you can't go into a store (even for groceries) without being bombarded by this stuff. And the insanity that is black friday is coming up soon. I am always interested in getting a bargain, but the quality of the deals seems to be going downhill over the years.

bread's done
Back