Cave Story (WiiWare) - General Discussion & Info.

If the graphics are upgraded to a nice 16 bit or 32 bit look, I may bite. This is a great game and well worth $4, but no more.

There are new "features" but does that trandlate to a new level or such? A sequel to this game would be great.

I play it on my macbook with a wired 360 controller - I wonder how the controls will transfer to the Wii.

[quote name='soccerstud652']If the graphics are upgraded to a nice 16 bit or 32 bit look, I may bite. This is a great game and well worth $4, but no more.
[/QUOTE]

Really? Altering the graphics would really make me reconsider purchasing it. Cave Story's greatest strength is how well everything goes together. The music, the story, and the graphics all go together so well that altering any of them significantly might make things worse.

Less pixels would be nice. I am thinking of Pokemon Leafgreen for GBA, they took the Game Boy pixelated graphics and smoothed everything out.

what is this Pixel guy doing now. And how popular was this indie game anyway, cause my video game blogs are flipping out about this announcement.

The game was just sent for re-approval according to Nicalis' twitter.

Also, their twitter has a recolored sprite of Quote for an unknown reason.

Nice, interesting to see it coming closer. I've been interested in this since it was first announced.

It's been far too long for this game to be released and it just can't live up to the expectations that that has created. Must... temper... enthusiasm....

I was saving up points for this, but got frustrated with the wait and picked up something else. Now I'm thinking we're going to get nickel & dimed with DLC. (Hate the new character sprite too.) Might still pick it up eventually, but considering the further delay I don't regret spending the points now.

You can change the Graphics/Music in the Main Menu. I'd recommend turning sound effects down, too.

One thing of note: You can't go back to the game menu while you're still alive.

[quote name='crunchewy']So has it met everyone's expectations? I'm still a bit on the fence on this one due to the price.[/QUOTE]

Only complaints I have heard are that the new music isn't as good as the old music. But you can turn on the old music so that's no big deal.

and that
instead of yelling Huzzah when he bursts through a door, Balrog yells Oh Yeah

I haven't bought the game myself.

The text scrolling sound is one of the single most awful sounds in video game history. Ya gotta turn the sound effects WAAAAY down to make it bearable.

I just beat the game
True Ending; I didn't take the guy back to his family though
and a couple of things irk me here.

#1 - After you beat the game and the credits roll, it does not go back to the Main Menu. You have to manually reset the game. Either that, or it's the longest wait ever.

#2 - I don't understand why the top/bottom were cutoff, even in 4:3 mode.

#3 - The sound effects/old music. Sound effects are WAY too loud. And the original music seems like it's been muted so people prefer the remixes better. This was done similarly in TP on GC in comparison to the Wii version.

Boss Rush seems interesting enough. It's definitely not what I expected from it. It doesn't seem like there's any leaderboards for it, though. Maybe you have to beat it, first. But who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading in the NintendoLife forums and somebody there posted this link:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/469336063/cave-story-wiiwares-jacked-up-music

lets hope the updates going to Europe will also be sent as an update to the US release. In the short term you can do what is suggested for sound effects: "As for issues with sound effects, Canabalt creator Adam “Atomic” Saltsman, who spruced up the new background tiles in Cave Story, offered this advice: “set the sound FX to one third volume!”

EDIT: in short, the remixed music is messed up (missing drum parts and such) and this and the sound effect problems were out of their control for some reason. They requested that the audio be sound checked, and for some reason it wasn't. I'm not sure why someone else has to do that, but there you go.

It does make me not want to buy the game. If they update it in the US, I'll buy it. Even if they do that I suppose it will be a long time. :(

[quote name='KingBroly']I just beat the game
True Ending; I didn't take the guy back to his family though
and a couple of things irk me here.

#1 - After you beat the game and the credits roll, it does not go back to the Main Menu. You have to manually reset the game. Either that, or it's the longest wait ever.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think #1 is a big deal. I remember seeing that for Ocarina of Time (n64) and it seemed okay. But, to note, I haven't finished cave story.

[quote name='crunchewy']It does make me not want to buy the game. If they update it in the US, I'll buy it. Even if they do that I suppose it will be a long time. :([/QUOTE]

It's a valid choice, but you're the one missing out. The original music apparently wasn't affected - only the remixed stuff - and it's easy enough to turn down the sound effects from the main menu. The map is useless anyway, so any buggy behavior there hardly matters.

I agree that there is no excuse for issues like that, but the really don't affect the game. So far I've seen a lot of people complaining about silly things... but frankly I'm just pleased as punch to be able to play the game on my couch and TV instead of using a keyboard.

I beat the game earlier this evening. I played through as Curly Brace instead of playing the original story mode. I played as Curly Brace because I thought that it meant I was going to play the game as the curly brace character, like this {, but Curly Brace is just the name of the character, haha. I'm glad I played as Curly Brace though. I love her character design, and I like that she isn't a silent protagonist.

Anyway, the game is fantastic. I loved the multitude of weapons, and I loved upgrading each weapon with the experience gained from defeating enemies. The level three machine gun was my favorite weapon; I loved that you could shoot downward and it would give you the ability to fly. Also, the music was amazing, and the main theme is now stuck in my head.

Took my seven hours to beat, and I absolutely recommend it for the twelve dollars that it costs.

A question to everyone who has played the pc and Wii versions. Is the Wii version worth $12 more than the pc version?

[quote name='Razzuel']The level three machine gun was my favorite weapon; I loved that you could shoot downward and it would give you the ability to fly.[/QUOTE]

This was my favorite thing to do :whistle2:D

[quote name='mogamer']A question to everyone who has played the pc and Wii versions. Is the Wii version worth $12 more than the pc version?[/QUOTE]

I don't know the freeware PC release... but as far as the WiiWare goes- it is phenominal. Get it... now! I used the new graphics and music made for the WiiWare release and did not notice any buggy music or the like. People will complain about anything.

9.5 / 10 (I feel like I am a harsh reviewer too, it's just that good!)

bread's done
Back