[CC] Sandisk 4GB MP3 player $149.99

salmonaxxx

CAGiversary!
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SanD...38450/catOid/-12952/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

SanDisk Sansa 4GB m260 Digital Audio Player (SDMX34096A18)
SDK SDMX34096A18
• 4GB flash memory
• Holds up to 1000 songs
• Up to 19 hours playback on 1 AAA battery
• FM tuner
• Voice recorder
• PlaysForSure compatible

(The website lists $199, but this week's flyer has it at $149, no rebates.)

Is this a good deal? 4 gigs for $150 sounds good to me. But I have no idea if Sandisk's players are durable... they look really flimsy.

[quote name='salmonaxxx']But I have no idea if Sandisk's players are durable... they look really flimsy.[/QUOTE]

I had the Sandisk 1gig mp3 player and enjoyed using it for about 1-2yrs before the earphone jack "wore out" (i.e. the connections between the jack & electronic board broke, and I don't have a soldering iron to rejoin them.) Furthermore, the LCD screen cracked while the player was in my front pocket one day (the player still worked, but I could only read half the screen.)

While the Sandisk players are made of flimsy-feeling plastic, ultimately it was not the casing which broke on me. Despite this relatively short lifespan for my first player, I wound up going with this 4gb model as a replacement, because I couldn't find any other mp3 player which combined all the features I wanted (flash memory based player w/FM tuner and easily replaceable batteries, large enough storage capacity, and drag and drop file transfer.)

I don't know if any one mp3 player is more or less durable, where the earphone jack is concerned (especially if you plug & unplug the earphones several times on a daily basis, as I did for a year or two) and any player with an LCD screen is vulnerable to damage, I suppose. That's why I risked getting a second player from the same brand name, despite the reasons behind my first player's ultimate demise.

This 4gig model performs fairly well, thus far. The FM tuner seems slightly improved (still somewhat poor reception, but at least I can receive stations I couldn't get at all before in the building where I work,) and the player itself takes longer to start up. Both came with a pretty cheap, thin, plastic cover, but I find the sound quality to be perfectly acceptable. With 4gigs of space, I can afford to encode my mp3's at 350 bitrates (I always ditch the included earbuds for Seinnheiser's, however.)

[edit: that Creative Zen sounds pretty neat!]

Say, do the Sandisk players support m3u (or any other) playlists? I read that the player auto-arranges everything according ID3 tags. Thanks for the info!

I bought my lil sis the 512MB version and it is a very solid player. Definitely would recommend it.

And the battery life is pretty darn long with one AAA battery...

[quote name='RBM']I had the Sandisk 1gig mp3 player and enjoyed using it for about 1-2yrs before the earphone jack "wore out" (i.e. the connections between the jack & electronic board broke, and I don't have a soldering iron to rejoin them.) Furthermore, the LCD screen cracked while the player was in my front pocket one day (the player still worked, but I could only read half the screen.)

While the Sandisk players are made of flimsy-feeling plastic, ultimately it was not the casing which broke on me. Despite this relatively short lifespan for my first player, I wound up going with this 4gb model as a replacement, because I couldn't find any other mp3 player which combined all the features I wanted (flash memory based player w/FM tuner and easily replaceable batteries, large enough storage capacity, and drag and drop file transfer.)

I don't know if any one mp3 player is more or less durable, where the earphone jack is concerned (especially if you plug & unplug the earphones several times on a daily basis, as I did for a year or two) and any player with an LCD screen is vulnerable to damage, I suppose. That's why I risked getting a second player from the same brand name, despite the reasons behind my first player's ultimate demise.

This 4gig model performs fairly well, thus far. The FM tuner seems slightly improved (still somewhat poor reception, but at least I can receive stations I couldn't get at all before in the building where I work,) and the player itself takes longer to start up. Both came with a pretty cheap, thin, plastic cover, but I find the sound quality to be perfectly acceptable. With 4gigs of space, I can afford to encode my mp3's at 350 bitrates (I always ditch the included earbuds for Seinnheiser's, however.)

[edit: that Creative Zen sounds pretty neat!][/QUOTE]

I just bought the 1 gig player. I am glad I read this - I'll be careful with the headphones and carrying it in my pocket. I have been very pleased so far.

bread's done
Back