CD Scratch Repair

themather

CAG Veteran
I'm looking for recommendations of CD scratch repair kits for a couple XBox games I have. Anything on the market work/help from anyone's experience?

Thanks.

-TM

Just stick the disc in a microwave and wrap it in tinfoil. Thats sure to get the scratches out.
Not really, if you do this its not my fault if you ruin your discs

[quote name='crystalklear64']Just stick the disc in a microwave and wrap it in tinfoil. Thats sure to get the scratches out.
Not really, if you do this its not my fault if you ruin your discs[/quote]

Ummmm may I ask why you like to thread crap?

Bring them to a used music or game store and have them resurfaced on a professional resurfacing machine, not a disc doctor. Someone on CAG once traded me a game that was in abyssmal condition (after telling me it only had minor scratches), deep gouges, would not play, would not read, wouldn't do anything. $3 later, its in mint condition. They might charge anywhere from $2-$5 for each disc, depending on where you live.

The mom and pop or regional places have them more often than the big chains... EB and Gamestop usually don't have them.

Its not so much that I like to thread crap as it is that I like to give free bumps to people who haven't gotten any advice yet.

Edit:
Also this is the first time I've not used the word "bump" to give a bump.

[quote name='dafoomie']They might charge anywhere from $2-$5 for each disc, depending on where you live.[/quote]

Unless your disc absolutely will not play or your game is rare/valuable, I wouldn't bother with resurfacing it. Resurfacing simply for cosmetic purposes is kind of a waste, imho.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='dafoomie']They might charge anywhere from $2-$5 for each disc, depending on where you live.[/quote]

Unless your disc absolutely will not play or your game is rare/valuable, I wouldn't bother with resurfacing it. Resurfacing simply for cosmetic purposes is kind of a waste, imho.[/quote]
Well, yeah, you shouldn't do it for minor stuff that doesn't affect play or doesn't look too bad. But if its not bad enough to warrant a resurfacing, its probably not something to be concerned about at all. Just keep it clean.

Will it fix skips in songs on music CDs? My Lost Dogs disc 2 is skipping like a mofo because it fell out if the case in my bag and I didn't notice it for a couple of days....

I have a Disc drx. I'm poor so I got the hand crank version. It is a resurfacing tool, that makes the bottom of your disc look wierd, but it usually works. One time it made a dvd of mine worse, I have only used the kit about three times and let friends use it. Only use it if the disc skips or freezes and has scratches.

[quote name='cgpwns']I have a Disc drx. I'm poor so I got the hand crank version. It is a resurfacing tool, that makes the bottom of your disc look wierd, but it usually works. One time it made a dvd of mine worse, I have only used the kit about three times and let friends use it. Only use it if the disc skips or freezes and has scratches.[/quote]
It ruins your games though... Your games have no value after that. I would never let a disc doctor anywhere near any of my games.

The geek squad at best buy actually uses unscented gel deoderant on scratched disks. i haven't tried it but friend at best buy says it works.

Thanks for the tips ... the microwave one worked like a charm.

The backstory is that I bought a bunch of games from the big Gamefly sale in December, but stupidly didn't check a couple of them (or just checked them poorly). So I have a couple of games that have a handful of scratches ... enough that it will interrupt gameplay.

Since I bought them 3 months ago, I'm pretty sure Gamefly isn't going to accept my weak (but true) story of "Yeah ... I just opened them for the first time and they're scratched."

So I figure it's at least worth a try with a disc cleaner or resurfacing to see if they'll play. But I wanted to check with the fellow CAGers since I figured there'd be some advice since we're all stingly little monkeys.

Thanks again.

-TM

bread's done
Back