Celebrate Talk Like a Pirate Day: Free Tales 'o Monkey Island Episode 1 'n More

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
[IMG-L=5198]9273[/IMG-L]This day only, Telltale be makin' Tales 'o Monkey Island: Launch 'o th' Screamin' Narwhal a free download, available on their tavern 'n Amazon.

In addition, through SeptembARrrrr 21, save 50% on th' Secret 'o Monkey Island: Special Edition on th' iTunes App Store, Steam, 'n Direct2Drive.

Even though th' game be free so thar be wee hesitation, ye can read Mrs. Shipwreck's review here.

pirate translation courtesy of postlikeapirate.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else have it taking 5 minutes to go from 99% to 100% and another 5 minutes for it to open the install program?

in case you guys haven't checked Amazon is also offering the game for free. im downloading it as i type this.

Installed it and the shit isn't working... says missing file or something. Clicked to open the installer again, been about 5 minutes now waiting for the shit to open. Lame.

[quote name='milkzhakes']in case you guys haven't checked Amazon is also offering the game for free. im downloading it as i type this.[/QUOTE]

If you go through Amazon to get it, you also will get a $2.45 discount on each of the other episodes.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I actually liked Escape. That said, the controls were horrid and the Monkey Kombat part of the game still gives me nightmares.

I'm probably going to download this, but hold on to it for a while. I know that Telltale's done boxed retail versions of some of their episodic games, and I'd hope Monkey Island gets that treatment.[/QUOTE]

Telltale has done boxed for all of their games at the end of the season for the cost of shipping if you buy the season pass.

I'm glad someone told me that if you already bought Tales of Monkey Island, they give you a code to be used on any single Telltale game episode.

I suppose it would be better to buy on Amazon as 'tis easier to use 'n I won't have to log into another account to fight th' game. A hearty thanks again fer th' useful information. I look ahead to tryin' out 'tis game before I sail out.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']You could always re-download it.[/QUOTE]

Since it was through Amazon I 'ordered' it since I can just download it later with no problems.

I don't know if anyone else got this, but here's the Email I just got from Amazon after downloading Monkey Island:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Dear Amazon.com Customer,
Thank you for purchasing a “Tales of Monkey Island” episode [Game Download] from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you will receive $2.45 off each of the other “Tales of Monkey Island” episodes.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]1. Select the other “Tales of Monkey Island” episodes [Game Download] for purchase by clicking the "Buy full version" button.
2. The discount, valid until 1/31/10, will automatically be applied on the "Review & Purchase" page.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Not amazing discount, but it helps.

Thanks for the Amazon tip! A discount on each individual episode might be nice, since I'm not sure whether I'm willing to take the full-season plunge.

Edit: Oh, and, um... Arrrrrr.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have been contemplating this for the Wii but for $0 it's completely worth a download.

Does the Telltale one have activation too?

If so I'll just grab the Amazon one, since it also has activation but I don't have to set up another account on Telltale. Doubt I'll like this, but for free... (aside from Riven and an old Star Trek game, I've hated every other point 'n click style adventure game).

Okay, I tried the Telltale version, and it *DOES* have activation. So if you've already got an Amazon account, I guess you might as well just get it there (although then you have to install their DRM client, but...)

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone who got it from TellTale played it and had it work correctly?[/QUOTE]

Played it just fine on my crappy laptop. Looks wonderful, the only problem was there was a bit of lag with my mouse. I think that was my computers fault, though.

I let it do that step if it wanted to, but I don't think it actually did anything (might have though).

EDIT: Depends on how old their Direct X redistributable is, I suppose. Microsoft's actually updated Direct X 9 for both XP and Vista regularly, but most people don't know about it, and I've never bothered updating it. I don't even remember that most of the time, since for some unknown reason they don't put it in Windows Update(!)

How does Amazon's DRM work? Is it fairly unobtrusive like Steam (in that yes, you have to be online, but it doesn't screw up your system a million ways)?

Finally got it to work, didn't want to, but installed a shitload of direct x stuff. Doubt I'll ever play it, will probably wait for cheapass full release a while from now. Mouse control seems a bit laggy on mine as well.

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone who got it from TellTale played it and had it work correctly?[/QUOTE]

It didn't work on my desktop, but that computer is like a dinosaur now. It played perfect on my new laptop.

Aye, many thanks! I got me some Sam & Max Episode 2 because I already bought the Monkey Island episodes! Sweet deal! I also bought the LucasArts SE PC version from D2D for $5... I bought the iPhone version when it came out for full price. Yo ho ho!

[quote name='Liz_Telltale']What did those of you who downloaded it think of the game?[/QUOTE]

I think it is faithful to the series. I was turned off by the character design of Elaine- I prefer the Curse of Monkey Island design. But LeChuck art is great and the voices excellent.
The puzzles aren't too unfair or obtuse so far. Though I did have to redo the buried treasure map route way too many times until I figured out it has to be activated first.
Once I finish it, I will probably get the second episode. I hadn't really been planning to get the series- at least not until everything was out, even though I had enjoyed the previous four games.
But giving away the first episode has changed my plans to wait.

bread's done
Back