Cell: What happened?

Danil ACE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Not bashing, but I remember long before PS3 came out that the Cell was supposed to use other idle Cell processors for power. Also something about Cell-powered toasters and how the PS3 would gain performance boosts from it.

So where did this all go?

Wait a min.....

You're saying, that you read somewhere, that the PS3 would get a performance boost if I plugged in some Cell powered toasters (and wasn't toasting) nearby?

Haha man, No.

*I* heard that the PS3's power plug is just for show Its really fueled by the tears of small children.

I heard it from this homeless guy; very reliable source.

Sounds like someone was drunk and spouting hype at the time, though the idea of a cell powered toasted intrigues me, would it play pong while toasting?

I heard on the internets you can grill burgers with the ps3.

aak.jpg

Actually I remember reading that too. I don't think it was supposed to be a part of the PS3, but IBM was claiming that that is where the future of Cell lies. They want to incorporate the Cell chip in more than just the PS3, and when they do, they hope that it will make communication with other devices much easier. I'm sure IF it ever happens, its a long ways off.

EDIT: Here it is, in case anyone wants to read it.
From his own analysis, Doherty believes Cell will create a new extensible computing platform. A set-top box containing a Cell chip could, for example, combine to share processing power with a Cell-powered high-definition television to render the graphics of an animated movie.

"It's like a beehive--cell components can also be ganged together," he said.

This ability to change rapidly between states will make devices more flexible, but also give the living room a big boost in computing power when devices interact, making for much livelier games, movies and other entertainment-related experiences. That spells opportunities for Sony and its PlayStation line.
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-948493.html

I guess, originally, they wanted to include this in the PS3. Wonder if they still plan on expanding the Cell's capabilities. Sounds interesting, but a little too much like SkyNet too.

bread's done
Back