Champion Jockey: G1 Jockey and Gallop Racer - can anyone recommend this?

brianace

CAGiversary!
Looking for opinions on this game, and it seems SO niche, I can't find many who have actually played it. Can someone convince me it's worth playing, or talk me out of it?
Here's where I am right now:
1. This game is $20 at Amazon.
2. I like horse racing
3. I have never played a horse racing videogame of any kind.
4. Do not have move controllers, but have been thinking of getting a couple for a while.
5. This seems like a weird ass Japanese game
6. My threshold for weird ass Japanese games can be quite high
7. The difficulty level of this game has been alleged to be quite bastardly.

So, opinions? Has anyone actually played this thing?

Get Gallop Racer 2001. I think it's the closest to that Sega Horse Racing arcade game you always see in Dave and Buster's that's so fun. Much cheaper than playing that at Dave and Busters as well. I have all the horse racing games (even the one for the sega saturn that came out here), 2001 I like the best. Hope this helps.

Edit: Didn't realize you were talking about a PS3 compilation. I only have the ps2 versions. I don't know which Gallop racer is on the PS3 disc.

[quote name='salt_peanuts']Didn't realize you were talking about a PS3 compilation. I only have the ps2 versions. I don't know which Gallop racer is on the PS3 disc.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the feedback. So, yeah, this is a PS3 game, but if my research is correct, this game is essentially a merger of two series: Gallop Racer and G1 Jockey. Since Tecmo and Koei merged, I guess they did not see the need to publish two separate horse racing games. Good idea on their part, I guess.

I'm actually in the same boat as OP. I've been interested in getting a horse racing game for a while, so when I heard that this actually came out in America, I kinda wanted to get it. Of course, since it is an odd niche, it's hard to get a grasp on how good/fun this game is. And of course, there are the old Gallop Racer games, and I tend to hear a lot of good things about GR2001

I bought it since it was only $20 at Amazon and I figure it's worth a shot. I probably won't use it with move but it looks ok, probably not as fun as 2001 if it doesn't have the breeding and betting and such.

[quote name='salt_peanuts']I bought it since it was only $20 at Amazon and I figure it's worth a shot. I probably won't use it with move but it looks ok, probably not as fun as 2001 if it doesn't have the breeding and betting and such.[/QUOTE]
Cool, let us know how it plays! I don't mind terribly if some of the sim aspects of the game are simplified or missing, but I would like a small measure of management in a career mode.

hmmm. never even considered this title before, but I am definitely open to unique experiences/simulations. Might just have to pick this one up on whim. Gamestop has 2001 for $2. Now I have a reason to purchase the PS3 move version since I do have 2 motion controllers.

Not to bring up a dead thread (even though that's what I'm doing) but does anyone else have any horse race game input?

bread's done
Back