Chance of Netflix on Wii....

Anyone else think Wii streams will be lower quality? PS3 has lower quality than 360 and Wii could be much worse.

[quote name='laaj']Anyone else think Wii streams will be lower quality? PS3 has lower quality than 360 and Wii could be much worse.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? I compared heroes episodes in HD on 360 and PS3 back to back, they are 100% identical. If they looked different to you, then you have something wrong with your setup.

Wii cannot output anything over 640x480. Its a hardware limit. True widescreen isn't even possible at all. They have to smoosh it in and you stretch it with your tv. So no, Wii will never, EVER do HD streaming. Maybe WiiHD will.

[quote name='blitz6speed']True widescreen isn't even possible at all. They have to smoosh it in and you stretch it with your tv.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The Wii sure does do 16:9, in fact 480p, anamorphic 16:9. Yeah, if you're playing a 4:3 VC game it stretches it, but otherwise, what are you smoking?

EDIT: to clarify, anamorphic is just a way of storing 16:9 480p within a 4:3 aspect ratio. Note that you compress *inward*, not outward. You are getting the full 480p vertical resolution. Actually, I don't know if the Wii is really using "anamorphic". I read that on wikipedia, but really it doesn't make a lot of sense, as that is used with DVD (videos), which is a natively 4:3 format. For the Wii I don't see why this would mean anything, but in any case, yes, the Wii uses the full 16:9 480p resolution.

EDIT2: OK, I stand corrected (he says sheepishly). This got me to looking into it, and I'm seeing posts on the web now, though of course who knows if they are accurate for sure, that most 16:9 Wii games are in fact anamorphic, with a rez of 640x480 and then stretched to 16:9 aspect ratio (854x480). It is progressive scan, though (when using component video cable, of course). However, it's somewhat unclear whether or not the Wii itself is capable of producing true 16:9, 854 x 480, so it may still be possible, particularly when rendering video, as opposed to also making a game function. So... it's somewhat up in the air, though perhaps less then likely - not sure. We'll just have to see when the Netflix support is released. The good news is that, to my eyes at least, DVDs at 480p look pretty darn good on our 720p HDTV (though we don't have a massive, jumbo-sized TV), so Netflix on the Wii could look just at least close to as good, and perhaps just as good, whether anamorphic 16:9 or not. In fact we just watched No Country For Old Men last night from DVD and from our couch I really doubt I'd ever be able to tell the difference between it and BluRay, at least not without a direct, side-by-side comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how this converstation is going....

First it's, Wii sucks you guys are tards to think they'll get Netflix
Then when it's confirmed, It's all, well I've already got what ever else there to play it anyways....
Lastly it's, lol it's going to look like shitz and we all laugh at it.

Just think of how many consoles are out there without anything else??? quite a few... and now Netflix is open to those homes.

Anyways, don't let this circle jerkin' stop the real story, Netflix is going to become even more solid in movie entertainment.

I wonder though how much of a boost this will be too, since there are a LOT of wiis out there. A good move by Netflix that's for sure. Now we'll have to wait to spring to see how well it will work.

[quote name='xycury']I like how this converstation is going....

First it's, Wii sucks you guys are tards to think they'll get Netflix
Then when it's confirmed, It's all, well I've already got what ever else there to play it anyways....
Lastly it's, lol it's going to look like shitz and we all laugh at it.

Just think of how many consoles are out there without anything else??? quite a few... and now Netflix is open to those homes.

Anyways, don't let this circle jerkin' stop the real story, Netflix is going to become even more solid in movie entertainment.

I wonder though how much of a boost this will be too, since there are a LOT of wiis out there. A good move by Netflix that's for sure. Now we'll have to wait to spring to see how well it will work.[/QUOTE]

I own only a Wii, and I'm excited for this. I don't currently use Netflix, because Redbox is enough for me. But, I'll definitely be joining Netflix when this gets rolled out.
There are almost as many Wii consoles in American homes as PS3's and 360's combined. This is a HUGE win for Netflix.

[quote name='techstar25']I own only a Wii, and I'm excited for this. I don't currently use Netflix, because Redbox is enough for me. But, I'll definitely be joining Netflix when this gets rolled out.
There are almost as many Wii consoles in American homes as PS3's and 360's combined. This is a HUGE win for Netflix.[/QUOTE]

Note you have to have an unlimited plan in order to get unlimited streaming video. If you have only their most basic plan you only get something like 2 hours of streaming per month. It's not much more to get the lowest unlimited plan, though.

I own a 360, but as it costs money to get access to Netflix (have to have gold live account), I'm very excited about, as will be my wife.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']All of us who said no, including myself, got owned.[/QUOTE]

You're like the fifth person in the history of the internet to admit being wrong about something.

Good on yeh.

Me? I requested my Wii disc to play it on. Why the hell not?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I can't imagine anyone who has a PS3 or 360 using their Wii instead.[/QUOTE]
I'll use my Wii instead of my 360. I don't have a Gold account, and the Wii is on our main TV, while the 360 is relegated to the secondary TV.

So imagine away... :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I can't imagine anyone who has a PS3 or 360 using their Wii instead.[/QUOTE]

I will be using the wii version. I have my PS3 downstairs on my nice HD tv and I use my wii on my standard Def tv in my room. It's all the same sh!t content wise and I'm sure video quality wise.

[quote name='62t']Maybe MS will consider making Netflix available for sliver member[/QUOTE]

ROFL. Man CAG is becoming comedy central lately. MS will continue to rape its users without lube. They have 0 incentive to not charge for Gold features. Its free elsewhere? Who cares. Microsoft will tell you that Live is superior (LOL) so its worth the price. Now bend over.

[quote name='crunchewy']What are you talking about? The Wii sure does do 16:9, in fact 480p, anamorphic 16:9. Yeah, if you're playing a 4:3 VC game it stretches it, but otherwise, what are you smoking?

EDIT: to clarify, anamorphic is just a way of storing 16:9 480p within a 4:3 aspect ratio. Note that you compress *inward*, not outward. You are getting the full 480p vertical resolution. Actually, I don't know if the Wii is really using "anamorphic". I read that on wikipedia, but really it doesn't make a lot of sense, as that is used with DVD (videos), which is a natively 4:3 format. For the Wii I don't see why this would mean anything, but in any case, yes, the Wii uses the full 16:9 480p resolution.

EDIT2: OK, I stand corrected (he says sheepishly). This got me to looking into it, and I'm seeing posts on the web now, though of course who knows if they are accurate for sure, that most 16:9 Wii games are in fact anamorphic, with a rez of 640x480 and then stretched to 16:9 aspect ratio (854x480). It is progressive scan, though (when using component video cable, of course). However, it's somewhat unclear whether or not the Wii itself is capable of producing true 16:9, 854 x 480, so it may still be possible, particularly when rendering video, as opposed to also making a game function. So... it's somewhat up in the air, though perhaps less then likely - not sure. We'll just have to see when the Netflix support is released. The good news is that, to my eyes at least, DVDs at 480p look pretty darn good on our 720p HDTV (though we don't have a massive, jumbo-sized TV), so Netflix on the Wii could look just at least close to as good, and perhaps just as good, whether anamorphic 16:9 or not. In fact we just watched No Country For Old Men last night from DVD and from our couch I really doubt I'd ever be able to tell the difference between it and BluRay, at least not without a direct, side-by-side comparison.[/QUOTE]

Please do not speak on things you have no idea about. Wii cannot do true widescreen. Locked 640x480 by the 3mb buffer. End of story. Play a widescreen wii game and set your tv to Native resolution. Its always 4:3 and looks squished. You have to put it on full for it to look right and you always will.

p.s. - I will use netflix on Wii. I already ordered the disc.

I ordered the disc and I'll probably use it at least once...(Ordered the disc for the PS3 too even though I'll just use my 360 anyway).

Huh, I just got a 360 and I didn't know you needed to be gold to view Netflix. I guess when I graduate and start up with them again I'll use my Wii.

[quote name='blitz6speed']WTF are you talking about? I compared heroes episodes in HD on 360 and PS3 back to back, they are 100% identical. If they looked different to you, then you have something wrong with your setup.

Wii cannot output anything over 640x480. Its a hardware limit. True widescreen isn't even possible at all. They have to smoosh it in and you stretch it with your tv. So no, Wii will never, EVER do HD streaming. Maybe WiiHD will.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. There is something wrong with your setup then. Yes Wii can't output HD but that doesn't mean 480p output quality will be the same as 360 or PS3.

[quote name='laaj']Wrong. There is something wrong with your setup then. Yes Wii can't output HD but that doesn't mean 480p output quality will be the same as 360 or PS3.[/QUOTE]

Of course, my calibrated Sony 34" CRT tube hdtv with Super Fine Pitch (basically the best display you can put in your house for picture quality) is setup wrong, and your setup is obviously correct with PS3 looking worse. Sorry i made that mistake. Won't happen again.:roll:

This is fantastic news. I hope it's available to Canadian residents, as well. I watch a lot of Youtube through the Wii and I'd be happy to pay a little to watch movies in a clearer resolution. Does this buffer the stream to prevent stuttering? My internet connection is like 7-8MB but the Wii (on it's best day) only seems to reach 2-4MB download. Most streaming is ok, but if the Nintendo Channel is set to Hi-Res, I sometimes see a bit of stuttering.

[quote name='laaj']Wrong. There is something wrong with your setup then. Yes Wii can't output HD but that doesn't mean 480p output quality will be the same as 360 or PS3.[/QUOTE]
Wrong. Wii never outputs true 16x9 widescreen. For the widescreen modes, it outputs a horizontally shrunk image in a 4:3 format. It expects your TV to automatically stretch it so it looks normal. Like already stated, switch your TV mode from wide to normal: it is 4:3.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Of course, my calibrated Sony 34" CRT tube hdtv with Super Fine Pitch (basically the best display you can put in your house for picture quality) is setup wrong, and your setup is obviously correct with PS3 looking worse. Sorry i made that mistake. Won't happen again.:roll:[/QUOTE]

There is your problem right there. CRT. CRTs are usually mid 800i to mid 900i. Yes there are CRTs that can even do full 1080p but those are made for studio and production work and not for sale to retailers. And they are very expensive like $10k+.

[quote name='Doomed']Wrong. Wii never outputs true 16x9 widescreen. For the widescreen modes, it outputs a horizontally shrunk image in a 4:3 format. It expects your TV to automatically stretch it so it looks normal. Like already stated, switch your TV mode from wide to normal: it is 4:3.[/QUOTE]

What was I wrong about? You made my point for me. Wii can't match horizontal resolutions of PC/360/PS3 so video quality will be less. Even if Wii receives the exact same video stream, Wii has to down-sample it to display.

[quote name='Doomed']Wrong. Wii never outputs true 16x9 widescreen. For the widescreen modes, it outputs a horizontally shrunk image in a 4:3 format. It expects your TV to automatically stretch it so it looks normal. Like already stated, switch your TV mode from wide to normal: it is 4:3.[/QUOTE]

I believe the term is Anamorphic Widescreen.

[quote name='laaj']There is your problem right there. CRT. CRTs are usually mid 800i to mid 900i. Yes there are CRTs that can even do full 1080p but those are made for studio and production work and not for sale to retailers. And they are very expensive like $10k+.[/QUOTE]

As i said, my CRT is Super Fine Pitch, which is 1440x1080 in resolution. And as previously mentioned, no consumer display be it plasma or LCD can match mine in picture quality. Resolution is not everything. Anyone who comes over and sees my setup comments on how amazing HD content looks on my TV and they all own 1080p LCD/Plasma tvs at home.

I should also mention i own a 1080p LCD in the living room, along with my entire family owning nothing but high end HDTVs. Im somewhat familiar with a nice display and what it can do, and Netflix on PS3/360 HD content is IDENTICAL. If it is not for you, it is YOUR setup. End of story.

wow...have been on here in a few months i come on and see a post from last year about netflix...so excited i have netflix and am really excited since its my primary system

bread's done
Back