Changes in Warranty Policy for Launch Units?

exRounder

CAGiversary!
Are there any special exceptions regarding the warranty for launch unit 360's?

If I didn't get a warranty for the console I purchased in December '05, what are my cheapest options to get it working again, if any?

I thought they extended the warranty recently so that all 360s are covered, but I'm not sure. if they didn't they need to.

The warranty was extended to 1 year after purchase...you're outta luck if you have a launch console with the red lights. When you call in, tell them that you want a discount on the repair cost (normally $140) and they'll come back and give you 25% off just for asking.

As far as buying a warranty...not sure if you can do it now. I wouldn't think so...call Microsoft, that'll be your best bet. You won't find a retail store that will extend a warranty on a year and a half old item.

[quote name='halvorsb']The warranty was extended to 1 year after purchase...you're outta luck if you have a launch console with the red lights. When you call in, tell them that you want a discount on the repair cost (normally $140) and they'll come back and give you 25% off just for asking.

As far as buying a warranty...not sure if you can do it now. I wouldn't think so...call Microsoft, that'll be your best bet. You won't find a retail store that will extend a warranty on a year and a half old item.[/quote]

I thought any '05 consoles got the repair for free, and all '06 and beyond consoles got the 1 year extension.

[quote name='life.exe']I thought any '05 consoles got the repair for free, and all '06 and beyond consoles got the 1 year extension.[/quote]

Link me to this please! I bought a 2006 model from Walmart and then it broke 2 weeks later so i exchanged it and they gave me a freaking 2005 model...

Is this still in effect? I just paid $70 (got a 50% discount) to get my launch system repaired. Called MS a few days ago, so my box should be here soon. But if I can get my $70 back that would be awesome.

Alright, so this is for consoles made in 2005 no matter when you bought it? How long does this last? Is it for the life of the console?

[quote name='Nightfall']Is this still in effect? I just paid $70 (got a 50% discount) to get my launch system repaired. Called MS a few days ago, so my box should be here soon. But if I can get my $70 back that would be awesome.[/quote]
Taken from the DailyTech site:

"Customers who have already paid for repairs will receive checks in the mail within 5-8 weeks to cover their costs."

I read that, but when that was first posted however long ago, that was for people that already paid for repairs. I just paid for mine a few days ago, long after they anouced this. So I'm wondering why they didn't just offer it to me in the first place. That's why I wanted to know if this was still going on, because it SEEMS like it isn't.

kinda lame how they profit off of system repairs. there's no way it costs $140 to fix the red ring of death ...

[quote name='Apossum']kinda lame how they profit off of system repairs. there's no way it costs $140 to fix the red ring of death ...[/quote]
Simply put, my PS2 has lasted me a while, no reason the 360 shouldn't either. I'm going to call up Customer Care tomorrow and clear this up. I have an express service number for the call so it shouldn't take too long.

*Edit: just for the hell of it, i'll what what my e-mail said :)

Hi, Dustin!

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

This e-mail acknowledges our receipt of your message to Xbox Customer Care. We appreciate you taking the time to write us with your concerns and value you as an Xbox customer. We do apologize for any inconveniences that you might have.

I do understand that you want to know if the 205 console still be considered to be included on the free repair. It is advisable that you call Xbox Customer Support. This is due to the nature of the issue. We cannot resolve this problem over this method. Your concern requires personal information for verification which cannot be divulged over email.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX or 1-800-469-9269 (United States and Canada); or 425-635-7180 (International/direct dial to the US) at your earliest convenience, and we will be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 9am to 1am EST/ 6am to 10pm PST.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number ########## when you call.

Good News! You may link your console to your Windows Live ID, and check repair status online at the web site: http://service.xbox.com.

Sincerely,
Erl
Xbox Customer Care Team

Not sure why they couldn't give me a simple yes or no. I'm assuming they are going to tell me that it depends on when i purchased the system, blah blah blah. And to that i will tell them to send me a brand new console if they want to pull that shit :) The fact that i was sold a 2005 model in 2007...unexcusable.

Alright, so the verdict is that it only goes by your warranty. My 2005 model which i just bought has a year warranty...thats it. Even though MS has owned up to the fact that there were numerous defective launch (2005) units, it only goes by warranty. So if you bought a 360 recently and its a 2005, good luck :)

On the phone still, seeing if i can get a newer model. No way i should have been sold a 2005 model in 2007.

[quote name='SynGamer']On the phone still, seeing if i can get a newer model. No way i should have been sold a 2005 model in 2007.[/QUOTE]That's just bad luck. It's not MS's fault that you picked up an '05 model rather than an '06 or '07.

Mine just died and it's an '06 model, so I doubt all of the issues have been cleared up. In fact, I'm willing to be that the '06 models have the same issues as the '05 ones... This is just kind of sad considering that my original XBOX is still going strong. Good thing too, now that my 360 is in a box to be shipped back to M$.

So what's the special deal for systems manufactured before January 1 2006? Is it just the one year extension of the warranty or is it unconditional repair of the console whenever, with or without warranty? I don't want to lose $140 for misunderstanding.

I just spent 3 weeks on the phone with various customer support individuals. the warranty got extended to a year from 90 days. has nothing to do with 05 consoles. I talked them down to 50% off after I got the ring of death. they were pretty adamant about not going any lower so i bit the bullet.

[quote name='Liquid 2']That's just bad luck. It's not MS's fault that you picked up an '05 model rather than an '06 or '07.[/quote]

Thats all they had in stock and i didn't find out until i had gotten home.

bread's done
Back