Changes to Wii Sports?

Rig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
If this is old news, then I'm sorry. A quick Google search didn't help me out.

I got my Wii at launch. Haven't really played Wii Sports in quite a long time. I went to a friend's apartment who recently got a Wii. I was surprised to see some changes made their way into his copy of Wii Sports.

In baseball, the team lineups are shown at the start of the game. Plus, infielders now throw the ball to first base! I also noticed, in some of the option screens, the Wii remote jackets were shown.

I'm assuming this was a disc revision...and not a software update. Can somebody confirm this for me? I'm not sure where my copy is at, so I can't check it! If it is indeed a different disc, how can you tell the difference? I looked on his packaging, and it looked to be the same as mine.

Also, does anybody know what other changes were made to the game? I'm not even sure why such minor changes would be made after-the-fact. It's understandable to add Wii Remote jackets to the Wiimotes...but changing some of the actual gameplay is a surprise.

I'm sure it's a disk revision, it's pretty much impossible to patch Wii games, especially if the game was never designed for it.

I noticed this too a while back on my cousin's system.

I may have just sucked at Boxing, but it seems like it's now possible to send your opponent head over heels.

The start screen should have a revised copyright date, "2006-2007 Nintendo". That's one way to tell, though I guess if you can get that info, you'll see the Wii jackets upon startup anyway.

What does Nintendo charge to get a "replacement" Wii Sports disc? I'm sure someone is curious enough to buy a new copy. I wonder if they acknowledge your turkeys in bowling with a picture or something now.

[quote name='CouRageouS']What does Nintendo charge to get a "replacement" Wii Sports disc? I'm sure someone is curious enough to buy a new copy. I wonder if they acknowledge your turkeys in bowling with a picture or something now.[/quote]
I am so tempted to do this.

[quote name='CouRageouS']What does Nintendo charge to get a "replacement" Wii Sports disc? I'm sure someone is curious enough to buy a new copy. I wonder if they acknowledge your turkeys in bowling with a picture or something now.[/quote]

I got my Wii about a month ago, and I have the newer version of Wii Sports.

No Turkey pictures here. Sorry.

The baseball revisions are subtle - you see a sweeping shot of your lineup at the begining of the game. Infielders do throw to first to get an out - sometimes. Still no double plays or anything. That game could have been so much more.

[quote name='mrlumpy']That game could have been so much more.[/quote]

It's called Mario Super Sluggers.

I have the newer edition of Wii Sports and noticed some subtle changes as well. I wonder if I should see if Wii Play has been updated as well.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I wonder if I should see if Wii Play has been updated as well.[/quote]
I just got a newer version on "As-Is" clearance at Target just for the remote. I haven't opened it yet, and was going to just gift the game to someone, but now I'm tempted to open it and see.

i've noticed the changes too, but something that caught me by surprise was that they did not change the product number.

all games have some product number on the case, disc, etc... for american wii games you can see it written small on the physical disc... it's RVL-RXXE-USA with XX being different and specific for each game. when games have revisions, such as the Guitar Hero III audio fiasco, they will typically add a number to the end... RVL-RXXE-USA-01 or -02 or whatever, depending on how many revisions the game goes through. it's been this way on all nintendo systems... DS games that have been recalled, updates to GCN games, whatever.

but newer Wii Sports discs that i've seen did not have any revised number, as though nintendo does not want to admit that they changed the game. it's really weird, out of the norm, and the best i can tell, makes it difficult to spot a newer disc by just looking at it.

granted, there's probably some other change on the disc that would jump out if i had the two of them side-by-side. but i always first look at the product number to verify the change, and see how many changes were made in between. it caught me by surprise when i looked and saw that a newer Wii Sports claimed to have not been changed.

Hmm.... I'd like to get my hands on the new wii sports disc and check it out. They should add slow mo knockdowns and replays to wii boxing. That would be sweet.

Yup, I have the new version of Wii Sports and it does have some differences. My brother has the old version and I noticed it as soon as I played my version for the first time. I like how players now actually throw the ball to first base and don't just hold it. I haven't played it in a long time some I can't remember all of the differences right now.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That's so odd they would change it.
I want a new copy.[/quote]
It's not the first time that Nintendo has updated their games.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Super Smash Brothers Melee and Ocarina of Time, but I'm sure there are others.

I noticed that my copy had the Wii condoms pictured, which I figured must have been an update, but did not realize that the actual game was different. Interesting.

Wow interesting, I never would of thought they would go back to an old game and update it. Maybe it's different since it is a pack-in.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's not the first time that Nintendo has updated their games.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Super Smash Brothers Melee and Ocarina of Time, but I'm sure there are others.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. But it's... Wii Sports...
But point taken.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's not the first time that Nintendo has updated their games.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Super Smash Brothers Melee and Ocarina of Time, but I'm sure there are others.[/quote]

What was updated in those games? I was under the impression that both of those games received revisions only because they had what Nintendo considered to be glitches/exploits or potentially offensive material. If so, that'd be markedly different than this Wii Sports occurrence.

[quote name='rapsodist']What was updated in those games? I was under the impression that both of those games received revisions only because they had what Nintendo considered to be glitches/exploits or potentially offensive material. If so, that'd be markedly different than this Wii Sports occurrence.[/quote]

With Melee, I have no idea.

Ocarina was changed due to religious outcry over the desert temple level. It was claimed that the music was too close to some sort of actual religious chanting, so it was changed. They also changed the front of the mirror shield for the same reason, which I was glad to find out since when playing it again on disc, I always was going 'huh, I always thought the mirror shield was cooler looking'. The final change was the switch from red blood to green blood in the final fight with Ganondorf.

Obviously, I've just done a brief overview, but that's what they changed for Ocarina.

I bought my Wii late last year and it came with the "new" version. I just assumed they added the remote jacket to the startup screens of every old game that was manufactured after the jackets were available.

I think the only game I own that doesn't have the jacket picture on startup is Super Paper Mario.

Actually, this is an interesting subject. Has Nintendo gone back and added Wii jackets to the menus on older games?

If so, it's entirely possible they could've made other changes, just like Wii Sports.

Okay, who has older games that they recently purchased?

[quote name='rapsodist']What was updated in those games? I was under the impression that both of those games received revisions only because they had what Nintendo considered to be glitches/exploits or potentially offensive material. If so, that'd be markedly different than this Wii Sports occurrence.[/quote]
To be fair I said updates, and fixing glitches is technically an "update". ;)

Here's a list of Super Smash Brothers Melee version changes.
There are some glitches fixed in newer versions, but also some gameplay tweaks.

[quote name='Zing']Did Wii Play always come with the jacket? Mine did, and the startup screen shows the jacket.[/quote]

Nope, because Wii Play originally came out WELL before the introduction of the jackets.

My guess is that any new pressings of games that happened after the jackets will feature the jackets on screen.

[quote name='007']Nope, because Wii Play originally came out WELL before the introduction of the jackets.

My guess is that any new pressings of games that happened after the jackets will feature the jackets on screen.[/QUOTE]

When were the jackets first released? Anyone have a list of game released before then?

Nintendo announced a free new accessory for the Wii Remote,[32] the Wii Remote Jacket, on October 1, 2007. The removable silicone sleeve wraps around the Wii Remote to provide users a better grip and cushioning. The cushioning intends to keep the Wii Remote protected in case it is accidentally dropped or thrown. Nintendo started shipping consoles, separately-packaged controllers, and the controller included in the game Wii Play with the jacket on October 15, 2007.

Did anyone here pick up any games released around that date the day they came out that could tell us when they started putting the jacket info on the games?

As far as first-party games go:

Wii Sports: Got it at release. We know this is the older version.

Metroid Prime 3: Got it at release. No jacket.

Wii Play: Release. No jacket.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves: No jacket.

Zelda: Twilight Princess: Release. No jacket.

Those are the first-party games I have that were released before the jackets. Anybody purchase any of these recently (or, after October 15, 2007)? If so, do they have the jacket changes?

[quote name='007']Ocarina was changed due to religious outcry over the desert temple level. It was claimed that the music was too close to some sort of actual religious chanting, so it was changed. They also changed the front of the mirror shield for the same reason, which I was glad to find out since when playing it again on disc, I always was going 'huh, I always thought the mirror shield was cooler looking'. The final change was the switch from red blood to green blood in the final fight with Ganondorf.[/QUOTE]
What the hell? I thought Nintendo was done with this kind of shit after they greenlighted Mortal Kombat II SNES.

I checked a couple of games I picked up recently, Super Swing Golf and Elebits, and neither of them mentioned the jacket. Maybe Wii Sports and Wii Play are special situations?

[quote name='rainking187']I checked a couple of games I picked up recently, Super Swing Golf and Elebits, and neither of them mentioned the jacket. Maybe Wii Sports and Wii Play are special situations?[/QUOTE]

If by "special" you mean "published by Nintendo", then yes.

I can't imagine third parties would care enough to remaster the discs.

just for reference, first party titles released before in or before october 2007:

battalion wars 2
big brain academy
donkey kong barrel blast
excite truck
mario party 8
mario strikers charged
metroid prime 3
pokemon battle revolution
super paper mario
legend of zelda: twilight princess
wario ware smooth moves
wii play
wii sports

[quote name='CouRageouS']What does Nintendo charge to get a "replacement" Wii Sports disc? I'm sure someone is curious enough to buy a new copy. I wonder if they acknowledge your turkeys in bowling with a picture or something now.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that you can order a replacement Wii Sports disc for $25 by calling Nintendo directly.

In case anyone but me cares about this I thought I'd mention I'm pretty sure I know how to tell the different versions before you buy them. There's a number on the back of Nintendo games near the barcode. Tonight I was at Best Buy and saw they had two copies of Pokemon Battle Revolution. Upon looking at the back I noticed one had the number 63351A and the other had the number 63351B. I'm assuming the one with B is the newer one with the jacket. I also noticed the B on a couple of titles where I have an A on my copy. If anyone has a B copy in their collection maybe we can confirm this.

[quote name='rainking187']In case anyone but me cares about this I thought I'd mention I'm pretty sure I know how to tell the different versions before you buy them. There's a number on the back of Nintendo games near the barcode. Tonight I was at Best Buy and saw they had two copies of Pokemon Battle Revolution. Upon looking at the back I noticed one had the number 63351A and the other had the number 63351B. I'm assuming the one with B is the newer one with the jacket. I also noticed the B on a couple of titles where I have an A on my copy. If anyone has a B copy in their collection maybe we can confirm this.[/quote]

Interesting! :applause:

All of my games (before the jackets) all have the letter A at the end. I think you are right.

[quote name='rainking187']In case anyone but me cares about this I thought I'd mention I'm pretty sure I know how to tell the different versions before you buy them. There's a number on the back of Nintendo games near the barcode. Tonight I was at Best Buy and saw they had two copies of Pokemon Battle Revolution. Upon looking at the back I noticed one had the number 63351A and the other had the number 63351B. I'm assuming the one with B is the newer one with the jacket. I also noticed the B on a couple of titles where I have an A on my copy. If anyone has a B copy in their collection maybe we can confirm this.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but my copy of Wii Play (with the jacket) has the "A". Nice guess, though.

[quote name='rainking187']In case anyone but me cares about this I thought I'd mention I'm pretty sure I know how to tell the different versions before you buy them. There's a number on the back of Nintendo games near the barcode. Tonight I was at Best Buy and saw they had two copies of Pokemon Battle Revolution. Upon looking at the back I noticed one had the number 63351A and the other had the number 63351B. I'm assuming the one with B is the newer one with the jacket. I also noticed the B on a couple of titles where I have an A on my copy. If anyone has a B copy in their collection maybe we can confirm this.[/QUOTE]

that number is the version of the case, like the paper insert. 'A' is first print of the cover art. 'B' is a reprint of the cover art to fix a typo or replace screenshots or something. the only surefire way to tell the difference between games is by looking at the disc itself. sometimes (usually) they mark disc changes on the case somewhere as well, but wii has shown us... not always.

there is ONE number that i'd be interested in checking...

Zing: get your actual disc for Wii Play and flip it over so you're looking at the data side... around the center there should be a bunch of letters/numbers and a code. mine says 'RVL-RHAE-0A-0' and i would guess that the '-0' ending is different on yours?

Interesting I noticed the changes the other day when I was messing around at Best Buy. The demo unit had Wii Sports so I started playing baseball. I saw the camera sweep thru the team lineups. I also noticed the Wii-mote "condoms" pictured on one of the setup screens when playing at a friends house. I think they had gotten their Wii system about a year ago.

EDIT: When I get my two copies of Wii Sports from my GS order I will have to pop them in and see if they're the newer or older versions.

Other changes I know are in the boxing part actually. You get a replay of the knockdown/out now, in the old version there was no replay.

I got my two Wii Sports from Gamestop this week. One was the newer version and the other was the older version. I've looked at both discs to see if there's any sort of code to be able to tell them apart but I can't find anything.

dont let this be made widely known! (yeah right) or it will be something people look for on ebay auctions.

Code on inside ring of disc back (silver side) of Wii Sports with Original Release (no jacket on remote at startup)
RVL-RSPE-0A-O JPN

Code on inside ring of disc back (silver side) of Wii Sports from Gamestop today (WITH jacket on remote at startup)
RVL-RSPE-0A-1 USA

[quote name='Arakias']dont let this be made widely known! (yeah right) or it will be something people look for on ebay auctions.

Code on inside ring of disc back (silver side) of Wii Sports with Original Release (no jacket on remote at startup)
RVL-RSPE-0A-O JPN

Code on inside ring of disc back (silver side) of Wii Sports from Gamestop today (WITH jacket on remote at startup)
RVL-RSPE-0A-1 USA[/quote]
That's definitely a way to tell your Japanese disc from an American one.

My launch Wii sports is coded RVL-RSPE-0A-0 USA, so I think you are right on the coding for the version.

[quote name='wii skiier']That's definitely a way to tell your Japanese disc from an American one.

My launch Wii sports is coded RVL-RSPE-0A-0 USA, so I think you are right on the coding for the version.[/QUOTE]

I dont have a Japanese disc per se, I have the disc that came with my original launch Wii which must have been manufactured in Japan.

bread's done
Back