Charging options if you purchase a 220V DS

geepgal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I'm totally on top of what countries use what voltages, as well as which consoles/systems are region-free. What I'm confused about if whether it's safe to import a 220V handheld.

I'm looking to get a pink old-school DS to surprise a friend who's never been able to find one. Though it hurts my CAG soul, it has to be new in box. I could get a 220V one from Play Asia for less than the going ebay rate...but it's 220V. They throw in a usb charger for free, which is nice of them and would work quite well for my friend under most circumstances, but she wouldn't be able to travel with the DS unless she also took a laptop.

This problem would also apply to someone looking to import a black DS Lite from Europe when they release later this month (booo Nintendo for only releasing one color to the US).

I presume it is not safe to use a 110V DS charger on a 220V DS system. It seems like it also wouldn't be safe to use a 110V laptop to charge a 220V DS... Is there any way to safely charge without buying a voltage converter?

forgot to mention: what confused me the most is this month's contest at Kotaku, which includes an Irish black DS Lite as part of the grand prize. Ireland is definitely 220V, but no one at Kotaku seems concerned by that...

An option, since you have the USB cable to charge it, is to find a cheap powered USB hub and just use that + the USB cable to charge.

I've got 2 JP DSs. A pink one and a grey/black one. I've charged mine every time and never have a problem. Of course, I don't charge it and walk away, I usually do it at work so I can make sure it doesn't melt. ;)

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']I've got 2 JP DSs. A pink one and a grey/black one. I've charged mine every time and never have a problem. Of course, I don't charge it and walk away, I usually do it at work so I can make sure it doesn't melt. ;)[/QUOTE]

do all the Japanese DS Lite's run on 220V? sorry if that's a dumb question. I was thinking about getting one as a gift.

[quote name='asianxcore']do all the Japanese DS Lite's run on 220V? sorry if that's a dumb question. I was thinking about getting one as a gift.[/QUOTE]

I would assume so, but we were talking about the non-lite version. So I can't tell you for sure.

[quote name='asianxcore']do all the Japanese DS Lite's run on 220V? sorry if that's a dumb question. I was thinking about getting one as a gift.[/QUOTE]

japan uses the same voltage (115/120) and plug style as the US -- you would be perfectly safe. It's european imports I'm inquiring about.

Just buy a u.s. ds charger. It doesn't matter what the input voltage is for the charger. As long as the output voltage to the ds is the same and they must be sense they are sending you a usb charger. Usb ports are the same voltage anywhere.

[quote name='Smada Bez']Just buy a u.s. ds charger. It doesn't matter what the input voltage is for the charger. As long as the output voltage to the ds is the same and they must be sense they are sending you a usb charger. Usb ports are the same voltage anywhere.[/quote]
That's pretty much it. I think someone else mentioned that you could get a step up transformer (to convert North America's 110V to 220V), but that's a bit of a waste.

AFAIK, aside from the color, every DS should be identical internally. It makes sense from a manufacturing point of view. As such, I believe they all take 5V DC. Nintendo just packages the DS with an appropriate charger for each region. 220V 50Hz -> 5V DC for Europe, 110V 60Hz -> 5V DC for North America and Japan.

Bottom line... Just buy a U.S. charger and you'll be fine.

bread's done
Back