Cheap Ass Framer (YMMV)

DuelLadyS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I have no idea if anyone here will care- but I came across an ad for next week in the back of the boss's office while hunting for extra coupons: From the 24th to the 30th, Michael's Arts and Crafts store is having a sale on custom framing- 50% off 1 pic, 60% off 2, and 70% off 3 or more. So, if you've got any animation cels, limited prints, or whatnot you want professionally framed, this is the time to do it.

I don't know if this will apply to all Michael's, but it should. Just don't call the store and ask questions yet. You're not supposed to know. Hell, I'M not supposed to know!

Here's a tip: the way it's set up, each framing order has to be done up and priced one-at-a-time. So, if you've got friends with stuff to frame, bring 'em and their checkbooks along. Everyone writes a check for whatever their item totals at. Pay at the end with all the checks in one transaction, and you get 70% without having 3 of your own items or people owing you money.

Here's hoping someone can make use of this..

[quote name='Gojtron']Don't they do this every week?[/QUOTE]

They tend to do some variant of 50% off, but this is only the 2nd time it's gone to 70%.

Thank you! I was waiting on one of these deals.

My John Cassaday original Planetary pages will soon be framed, woohoo!

PS, do you know what they usually charge for a framing or matting?

[quote name='famousmort']Thank you! I was waiting on one of these deals.

My John Cassaday original Planetary pages will soon be framed, woohoo!

PS, do you know what they usually charge for a framing or matting?[/QUOTE]

It varies a LOT, depending on what you pick. I can tell you this:

metal frames are cheaper then wooden ones, and the thinner/plainer ones are cheaper too.

A simpler mat costs less- like, a flat plain color is cheaper than a velver or patterned mat.

I can tell you, a plain wooden frame in the 15-20 inch range should run about 30 or 40 dollars with the 70% off. (which is pretty cheap, since at normal prices I never saw a frame go for under $100.)

I haven't tried Michael's before, but the last time I needed frames I used:

http://www.framefit.com

and would recommend them. I purchased 3 custom size frames (including glass and hardware) for $54 shipped. The first frame is 14.125" x 16.125" with style Eagle Walnut (medium size wood frame) and the two other frames are 10" x 14" with style Knight Walnut (thin size wood frame).

Thanks for the heads up duel, I also had some comic pages/covers I wanted to get framed, and was waiting for a nice deal to get em all done at one time. Do you know if a coupon clipped from the michaels ad is required, or is it just an in store special, was wondering so I could pick up the paper on sunday. again, good looking out on the deal.

[quote name='trickyeyez']Thanks for the heads up duel, I also had some comic pages/covers I wanted to get framed, and was waiting for a nice deal to get em all done at one time. Do you know if a coupon clipped from the michaels ad is required, or is it just an in store special, was wondering so I could pick up the paper on sunday. again, good looking out on the deal.[/QUOTE]

Typically my Michael's will let it slide w/out coupon, but it's probably YMMV

I guess now is as good as a time as ever to frame the art a family friend gave me for xmas, and my birthday. He made them each in about 15 minutes but his signature bumps the appraisal up to $1000 a piece.

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']I guess now is as good as a time as ever to frame the art a family friend gave me for xmas, and my birthday. He made them each in about 15 minutes but his signature bumps the appraisal up to $1000 a piece.[/QUOTE]

Assuming from your description this is oil on canvas.. you're going to frame it? Original canvas should be stretched and displayed, locking it under glass can cause worse deterioration then simply having it out in the open.

This is of course provided you're not a numbskull that has a habit of spilling a glass of pinoit noir on your friend's art simply because you have yet to learn the art of walking without tripping over your own feet.

Just to say, While i do think 70% off is a good price, I think they certainly do gouge must people on Custom Framing. For me, the cheapest it would have been to frame a 21x20 Oil on Canvas painting I did was $375 after the 50% off. I'm not bashing them...Just pointing out the prices can be steep sometimes..

[quote name='thetshell']I haven't tried Michael's before, but the last time I needed frames I used:

http://www.framefit.com

and would recommend them. I purchased 3 custom size frames (including glass and hardware) for $54 shipped. The first frame is 14.125" x 16.125" with style Eagle Walnut (medium size wood frame) and the two other frames are 10" x 14" with style Knight Walnut (thin size wood frame).[/QUOTE]

I'll give them a shot. We have something that needs to be framed, and when we quoted it at Michaels it was like 180 bucks. Even 50% of that is too much.

Coupons should be unessecary- the discount is programmed straight into the framing computer.

I tend to agree that it's overpriced, but I can tell you why- I worked in the framing area for awhile when I first got hired. It's a lot of work to get things assembled properly- and I never even learned to use the dry mount machine. :) Plus, framers are started at a slightly higher pay rate than other entry-level positions. So, when you've got to pay extra and have them work longer, you jack up the price. Oh and shipping- most of the frames and mats are cut and partially assembled elsewhere, then sent to the store.

And the guy with the canvas needn't worry- we get taught not to put any sort of paintings under glass, as heat and moisture will build up and cause mold on the art. And all stichery needs a mat to go in glass, otherwise you squish the sitches.

bread's done
Back