Cheap Ass PC! Need IMMEDIATE RESPONSES!!

deathcabforcutie

CAGiversary!
so heres the deal.. my mom is a 5th grade teacher.. she recently (yesterday) won a $1,000 grant to spend soley on a computer for her class room.. i gave her the idea of buying 2 $500 dells, instead of one, which she liked.. so i decided to come to the CAG community to see if anyone knew of any other reliable, CHEAP computers.. they dont have to burn cds or dvds.. just a nice hard drive, cd drive, monitor, and it MUST be reliable.. she has to use it by October 1, 2004 so please reply ASAP.. thanks!

[quote name='deathcabforcutie']so heres the deal.. my mom is a 5th grade teacher.. she recently (yesterday) won a $1,000 grant to spend soley on a computer for her class room.. i gave her the idea of buying 2 $500 dells, instead of one, which she liked.. so i decided to come to the CAG community to see if anyone knew of any other reliable, CHEAP computers.. they dont have to burn cds or dvds.. just a nice hard drive, cd drive, monitor, and it MUST be reliable.. she has to use it by October 1, 2004 so please reply ASAP.. thanks![/quote]
I just got the emachines T3092 at BB for $600 last week after MIR with a printer and monitor. I love it it can do way more than u r looking for though casue it has a dvd burner and 160 gig hard drive, u def. don't need that in the class room but look at the lower model emachines. According to PC Mag. emachines have become one of the most reliable computers on the market and the price is unbeatable.

I second the emachines bid. She could actually get three of those for the classroom, since you dont want the bells and whistles.

[quote name='Tennisjon2002'][quote name='deathcabforcutie']so heres the deal.. my mom is a 5th grade teacher.. she recently (yesterday) won a $1,000 grant to spend soley on a computer for her class room.. i gave her the idea of buying 2 $500 dells, instead of one, which she liked.. so i decided to come to the CAG community to see if anyone knew of any other reliable, CHEAP computers.. they dont have to burn cds or dvds.. just a nice hard drive, cd drive, monitor, and it MUST be reliable.. she has to use it by October 1, 2004 so please reply ASAP.. thanks![/quote]
I just got the emachines T3092 at BB for $600 last week after MIR with a printer and monitor. I love it it can do way more than u r looking for though casue it has a dvd burner and 160 gig hard drive, u def. don't need that in the class room but look at the lower model emachines. According to PC Mag. emachines have become one of the most reliable computers on the market and the price is unbeatable.[/quote]
http://emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T2824 That would probably work well

yeah i use an emachine currently, and it works like a charm.. been reliable for a year and counting.. ill check those out.. thanks guys! if anyone else has suggestions, keep 'em coming!

WalMart B&M has Compaqs this month for $498 including 17 in monitor, 2.5 GHZ Celeron,256 M RAM, CDRW, and 40 gig HD. Thats a pretty good price for all that hardware.

Yeah, Wal Mart has some good computer for around $500, I bought mine from Dell abd the whole experience was horrible, I would never buy from them again.

[quote name='deathcabforcutie']she recently (yesterday) won a $1,000 grant to spend soley on a computer for her class room..[/quote]

Where is this grant from? Judging by how you describe it, you could get in a lot of trouble for doing this...

if you built one yourself you can save a bunch
with a 17 monitor $88
P4 2.4ghz $ 153
160 gig EIDE hard drive $63
2 stick pc 2700 $44
Case with power supply $28

Blam 376!!!
for that she could get three

[quote name='thealternakid']if you built one yourself you can save a bunch
with a 17 monitor $88
P4 2.4ghz $ 153
160 gig EIDE hard drive $63
2 stick pc 2700 $44
Case with power supply $28

Blam 376!!!
for that she could get three[/quote]
P4 2.4 ghz for $153 where do you shop at?? Ripmeoff.com
I got a P4 2.8 with a motherboard for $140

dont get an emachines.
those things are horrible.

Get a dell

heres 2 real cheap ones. LAST DAY to save 50bucks.
Yeah these are refurbished. But by dell. so its good for 350bucks.

So 700bucks +tax

just go buy 2 floppy drives for 10-20bucks for 2 of them.
And go buy 2 cheapass 15 inch monitors

http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatche...play=ALL&tgtSeg=I&srcType=xml&srcDetail=offer

System Price $399.00
Promotion Discount ($50.00)
Discounted Price $349.00
Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Memory: 128 MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
Hard Disk Drive: 40 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Modem: 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
CD Read-Write Drive: 48X CD-RW Drive
Software: WordPerfect Productivity Suite 12.0
PAINT SHOP PRO 4.0 STANDARD
90-Day Trial Norton Internet Security 2004
Microsoft Encyclopedia 2004
Dell Support 2.0
Dell Support 2.0 Software
Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Software
Earthlink ISP Software
Software
AOL 8.0 ISP Software
Microsoft Money
Resource CD
Resource CD
AOL 8.0 ISP Software
Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Dell Media Experience
Music Match 8.2 Basic
DPS Paint Shop Pro Try and Buy Software
Misc: Shipping Material
Record Now! Deluxe Software
Logitec 2-button Scroll Mouse
QuietKey Keyboard
USB Printer Cable

[quote name='Ivanhoe']dont get an emachines.
those things are horrible.

Get a dell

heres 2 real cheap ones. LAST DAY to save 50bucks.
Yeah these are refurbished. But by dell. so its good for 350bucks.

So 700bucks +tax

just go buy 2 floppy drives for 10-20bucks for 2 of them.
And go buy 2 cheapass 15 inch monitors

http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatche...play=ALL&tgtSeg=I&srcType=xml&srcDetail=offer

System Price $399.00
Promotion Discount ($50.00)
Discounted Price $349.00
Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Memory: 128 MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
Hard Disk Drive: 40 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Modem: 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
CD Read-Write Drive: 48X CD-RW Drive
Software: WordPerfect Productivity Suite 12.0
PAINT SHOP PRO 4.0 STANDARD
90-Day Trial Norton Internet Security 2004
Microsoft Encyclopedia 2004
Dell Support 2.0
Dell Support 2.0 Software
Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Software
Earthlink ISP Software
Software
AOL 8.0 ISP Software
Microsoft Money
Resource CD
Resource CD
AOL 8.0 ISP Software
Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Dell Media Experience
Music Match 8.2 Basic
DPS Paint Shop Pro Try and Buy Software
Misc: Shipping Material
Record Now! Deluxe Software
Logitec 2-button Scroll Mouse
QuietKey Keyboard
USB Printer Cable[/quote]
Tell me why emachines are horrible?? Have u even owned 1? The old ones yes they are horrible but the new ones are good. Direct quote from PC Mag. (which i now get free via the magazine forum on this site :lol:) "eMachine's low cost PCs are the least likely windows systems to need repairs" So on what basis are eMachines bad? yea they are not the master gaming computers but i don't think u need that in the class room. Don't get me wrong Dells are nice but overpriced and I would avoid refurbished computers. Building your own computer is another good idea but not would take alot of time etc..

bread's done
Back