Cheap Blu Ray Player!

poker360

Banned
Hey guys, i was at sams club yesterday, and i saw a "Clearance" rack...
I noticed a magnavox blu ray player (1080p w/ remote AND HDMI cables), however it did not have a box. There were two of them. So we grabbed one while it was still there, for a cheap $110.

Hooked it up today, threw in a blu ray disc and worked great! Even tried the dvd and upconversion is pretty good as well.

Definitely one of the better deals i have gotten recently, so i thought i would post it in here...

Here is the blu ray player:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9864613

It has priced at $198 @ walmart.. Magnavox isn't the best name for a player but for that price you really cant beat it.

[quote name='Beast9287']You should of just gotten a Ps3, since it has BD Live and that Magnavox does not.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, $400 versus $110....

With 400 dollars you also get BD Live, free WiFi, a gaming system, free online play, and a movie download station. :)

I'm just recommending it over a standard blu ray player because of how Sony's Ps3 Blu Ray player has much more features than a generic one. If you're getting upset at how many people recommend it, you're probably viewing the wrong topic, since this does regard Blu Ray. :)

[quote name='Beast9287']I'm just recommending it over a standard blu ray player because of how Sony's Ps3 Blu Ray player has much more features than a generic one. If you're getting upset at how many people recommend it, you're probably viewing the wrong topic, since this does regard Blu Ray. :)[/quote]

So what you are saying is "buy a ps3 because you get a great blu ray player that can also play videogames"? :lol:

[quote name='Beast9287']With 400 dollars you also get BD Live, free WiFi, a gaming system, free online play, and a movie download station. :)[/quote]

Some people just want to watch Blu Ray movies... so all that extra stuff is not needed.

[quote name='Sporadic']I really wish people would stop recommending the PS3. Some people don't want a gaming console as a movie player.[/quote]Plus, compared to higher-end players, it's not as good. I know down the road I'll be getting a stand-alone player to replace my PS3 as my primary player.

[quote name='shrike4242']Plus, compared to higher-end players, it's not as good. I know down the road I'll be getting a stand-alone player to replace my PS3 as my primary player.[/quote]

I am on the same road also, I get some condescending eye-browed looks when we have friends over to watch movies and I pop them in the PS3. I also want something that I can use with my Harmony One without the damn dongle issues. As it is my wife is all thumbs using the PS3 as an entertainment machine.

[quote name='shrike4242']Plus, compared to higher-end players, it's not as good. I know down the road I'll be getting a stand-alone player to replace my PS3 as my primary player.[/QUOTE]

Maybe things have changed in the last several months but everything I have read says that the PS3 is a great blu ray player even compared to the high end models. Also it tends to have less issues playing discs and the firmware is easy to update ie don't have to swap flash drives around

Edited to add thread from people that are more knowledgeable about video than me and this post was started today. (and they even disagree with one another) http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=82912

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75318

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-players/883166-panasonic-dmp-bd35-vs-ps3.html

PS3 still tends to be a very solid player, but there are units coming out (and some out now) that are overall just as good or better for around the same price or cheaper. Depends what you want.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I am on the same road also, I get some condescending eye-browed looks when we have friends over to watch movies and I pop them in the PS3. I also want something that I can use with my Harmony One without the damn dongle issues. As it is my wife is all thumbs using the PS3 as an entertainment machine.[/quote]For gamers, it's a non-issue. For non-gamers, well, that's a different story.

[quote name='Justin42']PS3 still tends to be a very solid player, but there are units coming out (and some out now) that are overall just as good or better for around the same price or cheaper. Depends what you want.[/quote]Try here for some info from Ruined, and it's pretty good advice:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5226731&postcount=11

[quote name='kklems']Maybe things have changed in the last several months but everything I have read says that the PS3 is a great blu ray player even compared to the high end models. Also it tends to have less issues playing discs and the firmware is easy to update ie don't have to swap flash drives around

Edited to add thread from people that are more knowledgeable about video than me and this post was started today. (and they even disagree with one another) http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=82912

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75318

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-players/883166-panasonic-dmp-bd35-vs-ps3.html[/quote]I'm not saying it's not a great player, though for someone that just wants to pop in a disc and start playing BR's, it has a painful price point of entry for some. $200 is a notable price point for a number of people, and a point when they'll jump into it.

When I bought my PS3 in 2007, it was the cheapest price point for entry, without question. For now, not so much. For the same price point as the PS3, I can get a damned good player with the Pioneer BDP-51FD or at a lesser price point, the Sony S550 or the Panasonic DMP-BD55. If I want full support of all the audio codecs fully, I'd have to go elsewhere than the PS3, though that's higher-end systems that need that kind of work.

With the purchase of a receiver, I'll start looking for a stand-alone player. Until then, I'm more than fine with the PS3.

Aye I agree, if you just want a movie player with bd-live, you can get some for under $300 now.

However, the PS3 simply offers A LOT more for your money, imo. $400 nets a TON of great things. My old 60GB PS3 is the center of my entertainment setup. It does everything, Play PS2, PS3 games, DVD's and Blu-Ray, decodes DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD for my Sony receiver, as well as allows me to stream all the HD content I download from my PC. Not to mention free online play and movie downloads if I choose.

For $400, you simply CANNOT, and probably WILL NOT for a long time, find better.

[quote name='handisnacks']Aye I agree, if you just want a movie player with bd-live, you can get some for under $300 now.

However, the PS3 simply offers A LOT more for your money, imo. $400 nets a TON of great things. My old 60GB PS3 is the center of my entertainment setup. It does everything, Play PS2, PS3 games, DVD's and Blu-Ray, decodes DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD for my Sony receiver, as well as allows me to stream all the HD content I download from my PC. Not to mention free online play and movie downloads if I choose.

For $400, you simply CANNOT, and probably WILL NOT for a long time, find better.[/quote]

Again, your argument ignores the main crux of the issues: There are much better Blu-Ray players out there for much less, especially for those of us who want dedicated players and don't care about using it as a MC.

For those of us who want add a dedicated BR and/or to replace a DVD player in our EC and get the best image we can from a BR player then a PS3 is a poor choice in both price and output quality (and not to mention the single remote/automation issue caused by the BT only operation).

We get your points. I use my PS3 for many of the same things, even freeing up space on my PVR by watching shows on hulu that I might normally record on my cable-boxwith it. Stand-a-lones however have surpassed it in many ways, arguing otherwise begins to smack of fanboyism.

I am watching for a new improved version of LG's BD300 with better audio options and DVD upconversion (as, like most people, my DVD collection still way outnumbers my HD movie collection 20:1), then I can also stop using my 360 for netflix streaming and move all my consoles from the HT and appease the snobby grown-ups I have over.

Regarding BD Live I only have one disc that has it (StepBrothers) and while I was amused for like 5 minutes watching different people's cuts of "Boats and Hoes" and uploading my own...I don't know how much great stuff it will have...

*for the record I don't have any boats or ho's, but I am in the market...

yeah guys.. $117 with tax, is quite a bit compared to 400$ without tax.. lol

all i needed was a blu ray player.. i might get a ps3 in the future after a price drop.

yeah i am looking for a blu ray player for my mom. She doesn't need any fancy stuff. it just need to play the movies. I need to look for some of those $110ish players.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Again, your argument ignores the main crux of the issues: There are much better Blu-Ray players out there for much less[/quote]
No, no there isn't. For a "better" blu-ray player (IE: better image quality) you need to spend around $500 or more, as posted above. That's more than a PS3.

A sub $300 blu-ray player will have the same quality as a PS3. In fact, I've found very minor differences in image quality between any of the sub $700 blu-ray players, including the PS3.

Stop the ignorance please.

[quote name='handisnacks']No, no there isn't. For a "better" blu-ray player (IE: better image quality) you need to spend around $500 or more, as posted above. That's more than a PS3.

A sub $300 blu-ray player will have the same quality as a PS3. In fact, I've found very minor differences in image quality between any of the sub $700 blu-ray players, including the PS3.

Stop the ignorance please.[/quote]

lol , lets calm down guys :whistle2:#

OP The Magnavox from that Walmart link you posted is not the same as the one you bought. The Sam's Club Magnavox Blu Ray is different. It is a 1.3 player.

[quote name='handisnacks']No, no there isn't. For a "better" blu-ray player (IE: better image quality) you need to spend around $500 or more, as posted above. That's more than a PS3.

Stop the ignorance please.[/quote]

Again, did you not read Shrike's post or his link about the image issues? These are exactly the same as issues for seeking an additional standalone- as they are the same issues for most other people looking at the PS3 from a dedicated optical player evaluation.

The PS3 does a poor job at handling DVD up-conversion compared to even a basic standalone Blu-Ray player and the 1080i de-interlacing issue (while less relevant today than it once was) is also better on virtaully all sub $250 BR players. You don't have to pick up a KURO BR to top the PS3 in BR & DVD image quality for several of the aforementioned reasons.

Stop with the fanboyism, it does us PS3 owners and BR enthusiasts a disservice. It's not the be-all-end-all BR player nor is it even in the running anymore. Do you think flaming other like minded people talking about technical aspects makes more people want a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player?

You might as well post this:
[quote name='JaroldL']ps3 FTW![/quote]

Stop your IGNORE-ance, stop ignoring why people are looking at better and more affordable alternatives for standalone players, for the love of god most people posting in here already have one. I resent being called ignorant, either by implication or inference.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Again, did you not read Shrike's post or his link about the image issues? These are exactly the same as issues for seeking a additional standalone- as they are for most other people looking at the PS3 from a dedicated optical player evaluation.

The PS3 does a poor job at handling DVD up-conversion compared to even a basic standalone Blu-Ray player and the 1080i de-interlacing issue (while less relevant today than it once was) is also better on virtaully all sub $250 BR players. You don't have to pick up a KURO BR to top the PS3 in BR & DVD image quality for several of the aforementioned reasons.

Stop with the fanboyism, it does us PS3 owners and BR enthusiasts a disservice. It's not the be-all-end-all BR player nor is it even in the running anymore.

Stop your IGNORE-ance, stop ignoring why people are looking at better and more affordable alternatives for standalone players, for the love of god most people posting in here already have one. I resent being called ignorant, either by implication or inferrance.[/quote]
Then stop being an ignorant douchebag? Easy. I don't think anyone said the PS3 was the "end all blu-ray player."

Likewise, I have never had any interlacing issues with my PS3 when I upscale DVD's. In fact, I don't really play DVD's on it anymore since DVD's are already outdated.

Who the hell upscales anything anways? Idiots I assume. People really expect to create pixels out of thin air? DVD's on 480p look perfectly fine, if you can't afford a blu-ray disc, or it isn't out yet.

BOTTOM LINE:

1. The PS3 is NOT the best blu-ray player on the market. However, if you want better you have to pay more than what the PS3 will cost. There is no sub $400 blu-ray player that provides better 1080p picture quality on Blu-Ray media. (no one cares about upscaling ghetto dvd's)
2. Is it the best media center device for $400? YES
3. If all you're interested in is to play Blu-Ray movies with BD-Live there are plenty of sub $300 blu-ray disc playres that will handle it fine and give you great image quality. Like Sony's BDP 550, which is currently $329 at BestBuy.

[quote name='handisnacks']
BOTTOM LINE:

1. The PS3 is NOT the best blu-ray player on the market. However, if you want better you have to pay more than what the PS3 will cost. There is no sub $400 blu-ray player that provides better 1080p picture quality on Blu-Ray media. (no one cares about upscaling ghetto dvd's)
2. Is it the best media center device for $400? YES
3. If all you're interested in is to play Blu-Ray movies with BD-Live there are plenty of sub $300 blu-ray disc playres that will handle it fine and give you great image quality. Like Sony's BDP 550, which is currently $329 at BestBuy.[/quote]

Again, wow- your a genius.

You just completely made my argument.

Like I said, I think most people still have many more DVD's in their collection than BR's.

I would hardly call the DVD media "outdated," approaching obsolescence- yes, outdated- hardly. LD owners said the same thing about VHS, I should know I was an early adopter there as well and look how that ended up. I like your "ghetto DVD" comment, very telling of your intellect and maturity level as is your "douchebag" comment.

Your sir are the douche-bag, ad-hominem right back 'atcha.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Again, wow- your a genius.

You just completely made my argument.

Like I said, I think most people still have many more DVD's in their collection than BR's.

I would hardly call the DVD media "outdated," approaching obsolescence- yes, outdated- hardly. LD owners said the same thing about VHS, I should know I was an early adopter there as well and look how that ended up. I like your "ghetto DVD" comment, very telling of you intellect and maturity level as is your "douchebag" comment.

Your sir are the douche-bag.[/quote]
:drool:

Also you're not your. Mr. I'm super l33t and use 3's as e's in my name. 2 kool for skewl.

[quote name='handisnacks']Who the hell upscales anything anways? Idiots I assume. People really expect to create pixels out of thin air? DVD's on 480p look perfectly fine, if you can't afford a blu-ray disc, or it isn't out yet.[/quote]I do, on my Toshiba XA-2, which makes the upscaling on the PS3 look like a joke. No, it's not HD-DVD/BR quality, though it makes DVD's look far better than without upscaling. It's still pretty much the benchmark for DVD upscaling.

And until I can get everything in my DVD collection on BR without taking it in the backside over the price premium to move to BR, I'll still have DVD's.

[quote name='handisnacks']:drool:

Also you're not your. Mr. I'm super l33t and use 3's as e's in my name. 2 kool for skewl.[/quote]

You got me, confused my possessive pro-noun with a contraction.
I'll PM you a Mensa application.

Caught a typo, U R SMATER TAN MEH>

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You got me, confused my possessive pro-noun with a contraction.
I'll PM you a Mensa application.

Caught a typo, U R SMATER TAN MEH>[/quote]
I just don't understand how you negatively responded to all my comments only to end up agreeing with what I was saying the entire time. Well done, moron. :bouncy:

[quote name='handisnacks']1. The PS3 is NOT the best blu-ray player on the market. However, if you want better you have to pay more than what the PS3 will cost. There is no sub $400 blu-ray player that provides better 1080p picture quality on Blu-Ray media. (no one cares about upscaling ghetto dvd's)[/quote]
[quote name='h3llbring3r']You just completely made my argument.[/quote]
No, that was my argument from the beginning. You're the one who was avidly against the PS3 as even being a "contender" for whatever idiotic reason.

Let's take a trip back!
Remember these...

[quote name='handisnacks']
However, the PS3 simply offers A LOT more for your money, imo. $400 nets a TON of great things.[/quote]

A sub $300 blu-ray player will have the same quality as a PS3[/quote]

Also your analogy for Blu-Ray to LaserDisc is way off base. Blu-Ray is here to stay, it's nowhere near as expensive as LaserDiscs were in comparison to VHS movies.

On average people spent $19.95 for a VHS movie, the LD version was around $49.95-$79.95 (I remember people paying more for certain LD's than what a VCR was worth) Not to mention LD players were around $1999.95 --- This doesn't include the argument of SIZE, as well as the ease of scratching the LD's.

On average people spend $16.95 for a DVD movie, the Blu-Ray version is now around $24.95

[quote name='handisnacks']I just don't understand how you negatively responded to all my comments only to end up agreeing with what I was saying the entire time. Well done, moron. :bouncy:

No, that was my argument from the beginning. You're the one who was avidly against the PS3 as even being a "contender" for whatever idiotic reason.

Let's take a trip back!
Remember these...

Also your analogy for Blu-Ray to LaserDisc is way off base. Blu-Ray is here to stay, it's nowhere near as expensive as LaserDiscs were in comparison to VHS movies.

On average people spend $16.95 for a DVD movie, the Blu-Ray version is now around $24.95[/quote]

Most LD were $29-39 (at retail NOT MSRP) you are correct in that contemporaneously priced VHS titles were $19+
$2k LD player, you jest- perhaps at launch. I never plaid more than $350 for a player and I still own two.

In the past few months I have seen more than one market analyst compare BR to LD in terms of both market penetration and consumer acceptance.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Most LD were $29-39 (at retail NOT MSRP) you are correct in that contemporaneously priced VHS titles were $19+
$2k LD player, you jest- perhaps at launch. I never plaid more than $350 for a player and I still own two.

In the past few months I have seen more than one market analyst compare BR to LD in terms of both market penetration and consumer acceptance.[/quote]
Well all I remember from it was going to Suncoast or Virgin (few places that carried anime on VHS in the early 90's) and viewing LD's for like $50+ and the players for over a grand.
I never kept up on it though as at the time I was satisfied with the $20 VHS tapes and was a student with hardly any money.

Is it safe to be in here... Calm down gents... its just entertainment devices.

I have yet used BD live and have yet seen a feature thats worth it. It seems like a gimmick to me, something to make people think they need it...

" Ohh thats not a 2.0 profile player, its not as good" False needs to upgrade. Most are under the impression if you dont have 2.0, older blurays wont work.

Get whats at your price point and enjoy. Differences are hard to see unless you do direct screen shot comparrisons.

As always with Wal-Mart def YMMV. We still stock this item and it rings up $198. If it were to go on clearance for half the price I would pick one up for sure though. Don't care about Blu-Ray "live" at this point and it doesn't look like Sony is going to drop this year with their massive losses.

I'd like to throw in my opinion here. Take my opinion for what it's worth.

I used to own, a ps3. I initially bought it for blu-ray movies. I never really used it for games. I use my xbox 360 with windows media center, and games. I ended up selling it after I bought a panasonic bd55 for $150 shipped, brand new. I can verify that the image quality, is better on the panny player. I also have more room to play with calibrtions of the panny. I calibrated both PS3, and panny using the DVE calibration blu ray disc. I also prefer bit streaming audio to my onkyo 806 av receiver. I also like how my harmony 1000 remote works with every component in my audio rack now. Before, I just left y ps3 on all of the time since I had the nyko dongle. Also, the ps3, while not a loud machine compared to my 360 , the ps3 still makes noticable noise. The panny is dead quiet. Upscaling dvds on the ps3 is good (way better than the 360), but not near as good as the panasonic. I'd bet $50 that you would hardly be able to tell a difference between a blu-ray, and dvd from 15 ft away (distance from my couch to the tv). The difference is only slightly noticable at 5-8ft. The bd55 is bd-live compatible, with analog pre audio outs which is good for people who have older receivers, and still want all the quality from hd-audio codecs. This doesnt really affect me though.

Also, I dont like playing movies on game machines whether it be a ps3 or xbox 360. I a/b both the ps3, and panny for two weeks before I made my decision to sell the ps3. This was done on a samsung fpt5084 50" 1080p plasma.

If you lurk on slickdeals.net waiting to pull the trigger, you can find a nice deal as well.

I can see why people would like the ps3 if they gamed on it, but I dont. I much prefer the xbox.

[quote name='Sporadic']I really wish people would stop recommending the PS3. Some people don't want a gaming console as a movie player.[/QUOTE]

This is not 2 years back.....Nowadays, if u want to buy a blu-ray player, you go for the cheaper right?That was SONY'S plan all along with the PS3(it was the cheapest blu-ray player at the time)....So I rather have a blu-ray player for cheap, than getting the most expensive blu-ray player on the market today!HAHAHA....how the wheels have turned out.From being the cheapest player, to being the most expensive?

bread's done
Back