Cheap Comics?

Your best bet is to peruse ebay auctions for collections of trade paperbacks. I got 100 Bullets Trades 1-10 (70+ issues worth) for 85 bucks, and often find Marvel Ultimate Hardcovers for more than 50% off in auctions.

Other than that, you can try a number of the online subscription services (avoid the in-house ones offered by Marvel or DC), but sometimes they're late, sometimes they're mishandled by the Post Office, and sometimes they just don't show up.

My advice is find a local comics shop and support it. We all want comics cheap, but unlike Hollywood, a single customer can really help out a small business comics store. Plus, there's usually someone there who recommend something new you might end up liking a lot.

Ebay is the way to go I have gotten and sold some cheaply. Also check out local thrift shops like goodwill Its were I get lots of mine. If you are ever in chicago the White Elephant Thrift Store by childrens memorial has lots for cheap and it goes to help the kids, I think.

http://www.g-mart.com/

This site design isn't the greatest. But you can subscribe to comics, and if you do you get a $2.99 comic for $1.95. Shipping is also the cheapest of any online comic book shop. They are located in Illinois. Great customer service I can't recommend them any higher. I've been using them for a while now.

Also

tfaw.com has comics but they will rape you on shipping. It costs like $8 for 4 comics. As where it would be $3 with gmart.

If you plan on buying current issues as they are published you can order monthly from Previews (catalog) through DCBService.com. Every issue is about 25% off with Marvel and DC around 40%. Often the discount on Marvel/DC are even higher. Shipping is a bit costly, and shipments will ship at the end of each month but if you order alot it really is the best deal out there (you can also pay extra for biweekly or weekly shipping). For example, April previews orders end on April 30 (for books shipping in June). Some of the specials include:

Showcase Presents Batgirl (b&w reprints of several issues) 50% off.
World War Hulk #1 50% off.
New Warriors (new series) #1 75% off
and alot more.

If you're looking for mainly old stuff, Marvel Essentials and DC Showcase Presents are phonebook like trades reprinting classic stuff in black and white for cheap. Great collections for learning your history.

Also, digitalcomics.biz has several Marvel collections on DVD that includes certain series (X-Men, Avengers, Hulk, Spider-man) from Issue #1 through fairly current (mid-2006 for most of these). That's every issue including ads, letter columns, etc. for about $40. I have all of these and they're great as long as you don't mind reading on your computer.

Hope this helps, and happy collecting.

One more thing-

If you don't mind reading online www.newsarama.com currently is running a page a day from two of the very best comics out there: Powers & Kabuki. These have been going for awhile so there is quite a bit of material up already. Atomika is also being posted like this although it hasn't been going as long.

All three are great books that are out of the mainstream (although both Kabuki and Powers are now being printed by Marvel's Icon imprint).

I'm into buying volumes, rather than just single issues. I don't really like the main-stream stuff like spider-man or superman. I'm looking for deals on comics like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, Swamp thing, etc.

[quote name='SoulReaver']I'm into buying volumes, rather than just single issues. I don't really like the main-stream stuff like spider-man or superman. I'm looking for deals on comics like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, Swamp thing, etc.[/QUOTE]

www.instocktrades.com is the trade only arm of the above mentioned DCBS. Stuff from Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and Image are all 35% off, most other publishers are 30% off. Shipping is $4 or free on orders over $50.

[quote name='SoulReaver']I'm into buying volumes, rather than just single issues. I don't really like the main-stream stuff like spider-man or superman. I'm looking for deals on comics like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, Swamp thing, etc.[/QUOTE]

Then your looking for TPB (trade paperbacks) aka graphic novels. All sites mentioned will have them.

You can get all of the issues of Amazing Spider-Man ever for $45 on DVD. Ditto Fantastic Four and some other Marvel stuff.

The best sale I ever saw on CAG for graphic novels was $20 off of $50 at buy.com. If that ever comes back ....

I second g-mart.com. I've used them for years and they're great. New stuff gets you about 35% off cover. Shipping is cheap. You can also hold stuff untill you get about $85 worth of comics then they'll ship for free. I've never had a problem with the quality of the books either and they always get here. I've used them for at least 4 years now, maybe closer to 5.

[quote name='SithFran']I second g-mart.com. I've used them for years and they're great. New stuff gets you about 35% off cover. Shipping is cheap. You can also hold stuff untill you get about $85 worth of comics then they'll ship for free. I've never had a problem with the quality of the books either and they always get here. I've used them for at least 4 years now, maybe closer to 5.[/QUOTE]

I've dealt with a few online comic shops. and they are by far the best.

For example here are my pre-orders for the month of June.

$2.10 (save $0.89) SIMPSONS COMICS #131
$1.95 (save $1.04) CITY OF OTHERS #3
$1.95 (save $1.04) DETECTIVE COMICS #833
$1.95 (save $1.04) JONAH HEX #20
$2.45 (save $1.05) GI JOE AMERICAS ELITE #24
$2.80 (save $1.19) 30 DAYS OF NIGHT EBEN & STELLA #2
$2.80 (save $1.19) METAL GEAR SOLID SONS OF LIBERTY #9
$1.92 (save $1.03) SPAWN #171
$1.95 (save $1.04) SPAWN GODSLAYER #2
$1.95 (save $1.04) WALKING DEAD #40
$1.95 (save $1.04) CITY OF HEROES #20
$1.95 (save $1.04) BLADE #10
$1.95 (save $1.04) GHOST RIDER #12
$1.95 (save $1.04) GHOST RIDER TRAIL OF TEARS #5
$1.95 (save $1.04) PUNISHER #48
$2.97 (save $0.98) TALES FROM THE CRYPT #1

[quote name='willardhaven']Support local comic shops please, I don't want to see Comicstop injected into that industry.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but back issues can be near impossible to find locally. I can never find what I want at the 3 local stores I know of around here.

I also recommend eBay though. You can get good deals on trades there, and excellent deals on bundles of single issues. I got Ultimate Spider-man 30-99 for about $150.

[quote name='willardhaven']Support local comic shops please, I don't want to see Comicstop injected into that industry.[/QUOTE]

That is all fine and well, unless your local comic shop is a dump. :D

I'm all for supporting local business. I do it when ever possible with that said. I don't have a local comic book shop, I had a good one downtown but it closed down over 10 years ago. The nearest is about 20 miles.

The guys over at gmart.com run a small comic shopin IL, so in a way I'm supporting local.

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I went ahead and pre-ordered the entire WW Hulk series and tie ins. Great prices. I can understand buying at a local shop, but the prices are good and having them shipped is convenient if you are busy.

[quote name='Nibi']Based on the recommendations in this thread, I went ahead and pre-ordered the entire WW Hulk series and tie ins. Great prices. I can understand buying at a local shop, but the prices are good and having them shipped is convenient if you are busy.[/QUOTE]

Most of these places are local comic shops that happen to have an online outlet. Its really not that big of a difference.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Most of these places are local comic shops that happen to have an online outlet. Its really not that big of a difference.[/QUOTE]

very true 99% of them are. However some like TFAW.com is a giant in the online business.

My local comic shop sucks ass. Poor stock choices and its ran by burned out old hippies who are stuck-up SOBs and cater to themselves not the customer. They overprice anything past MSRP and your paying atleast 3$ more than anywhere else would charge. I'll order online. >_>

I have a few questions for SithFran and Graystone about G-Mart. I currently have my subscription running through www.midtowncomics.com and am considering switching over to G-Mart due to Midtown being on the other side of the country and the subsequent slow shipping.

How early do you have to make changes to your subscription list in order for the changes to take place? At Midtown, all changes made to your subscription list before 8 a.m. EST Monday will apply that very week, and everything after Monday will take place the week after.

How does G-Mart handle singles that aren't part of your pull list? Midtown's discount applies to all comics as long as you have an active subscription with them, so I can add singles to be shipped along with my weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/etc. shipments without subscribing to that title and still receive the discount.

I wasn't clear on the free protection for the comics. Do they just stuff 8-12 comics in a bag or do they provide you with 8-12 bags and boards per shipment? If it's the former, then I guess I'll have to pay an additional $0.15 for bags and boards per comic then? The main reason for this question is because the additional discount at G-Mart would just even out with Midtown's discount with free bags and boards for all purchases.

This question's directed more towards SithFran. We live in the same general area of the country, and I was wondering what the shipment times were like for your subscriptions with economy shipping, if that's what you use?

[quote name='notorious_pip']I have a few questions for SithFran and Graystone about G-Mart. I currently have my subscription running through www.midtowncomics.com and am considering switching over to G-Mart due to Midtown being on the other side of the country and the subsequent slow shipping.

1. How early do you have to make changes to your subscription list in order for the changes to take place? At Midtown, all changes made to your subscription list before 8 a.m. EST Monday will apply that very week, and everything after Monday will take place the week after.

2. How does G-Mart handle singles that aren't part of your pull list? Midtown's discount applies to all comics as long as you have an active subscription with them, so I can add singles to be shipped along with my weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/etc. shipments without subscribing to that title and still receive the discount.

3. I wasn't clear on the free protection for the comics. Do they just stuff 8-12 comics in a bag or do they provide you with 8-12 bags and boards per shipment? If it's the former, then I guess I'll have to pay an additional $0.15 for bags and boards per comic then? The main reason for this question is because the additional discount at G-Mart would just even out with Midtown's discount with free bags and boards for all purchases.

This question's directed more towards SithFran. We live in the same general area of the country, and I was wondering what the shipment times were like for your subscriptions with economy shipping, if that's what you use?[/QUOTE]

1. You can change your subs up until the deadline. like the deadline for June comics is this Monday. Up until then you can do what ever you want. With g-mart you preorder your subs. So say in early apriil you want Blade, and then late in April you decide you don't want it. Then you can take the sub out of your pre-order.

2. I'm not to sure, about the pulling the singles, and getting the discounts. Once I added the Punisher war to my sub, and they pulled the older issues and gave me the discount. So maybe they will for all of them.

3. The free protection is actually not that bad. The put a backing board into a bag, then stuff comics into the bags so they are nice, and tight and can't move around. Then they wrap another larger silver age bag around that. I've ordered without protection a few times, and the comics came in great shape.

The .15 cents for b&b isn't that bad. Considering that a board costs 14.3 cents by itself normally from bcwsupplies.com. (100/8.00)

[quote name='Graystone']The .15 cents for b&b isn't that bad. Considering that a board costs 14.3 cents by itself normally from bcwsupplies.com. (100/8.00)[/QUOTE]

The local guys here charge the same amount, so it's really not.

Though I think the new shop here starting doing it free with a pull box, trying to get up on the old school guy who's got Little Rock monopolized.

So is it better to buy in bulk. Because I tried ordering from Gmarts Dark Tower #1 and it's 4 dollars shipping!

I'll try comic fusion.

[quote name='aboveaveragewes']So is it better to buy in bulk. Because I tried ordering from Gmarts Dark Tower #1 and it's 4 dollars shipping!

I'll try comic fusion.[/QUOTE]

Every online place will be expensive for just one comic. Any web store will charge the min shipping price no matter how small the item. It would be to costly to just allow a person to buy one comic and charge correct shipping. It cost to run a site, and the credit card charge etc etc.

[quote name='red flare graf']The local guys here charge the same amount, so it's really not.

Though I think the new shop here starting doing it free with a pull box, trying to get up on the old school guy who's got Little Rock monopolized.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know there was a new shop. Where is it?

ebay is the best for older stuff. Lots can be great at getting you lots of stuff cheap. The stuff you want is less likely to be super cheap on ebay, but will sitll likely be the best price there, especially in bulk lot form.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I didn't know there was a new shop. Where is it?[/QUOTE]

It's in Sherwood, on Kiehl. It's a drive from Little Rock but my parents live over there.

[quote name='Graystone']I've dealt with a few online comic shops. and they are by far the best.

For example here are my pre-orders for the month of June.

$2.10 (save $0.89) SIMPSONS COMICS #131
$1.95 (save $1.04) CITY OF OTHERS #3
$1.95 (save $1.04) DETECTIVE COMICS #833
$1.95 (save $1.04) JONAH HEX #20
$2.45 (save $1.05) GI JOE AMERICAS ELITE #24
$2.80 (save $1.19) 30 DAYS OF NIGHT EBEN & STELLA #2
$2.80 (save $1.19) METAL GEAR SOLID SONS OF LIBERTY #9
$1.92 (save $1.03) SPAWN #171
$1.95 (save $1.04) SPAWN GODSLAYER #2
$1.95 (save $1.04) WALKING DEAD #40
$1.95 (save $1.04) CITY OF HEROES #20
$1.95 (save $1.04) BLADE #10
$1.95 (save $1.04) GHOST RIDER #12
$1.95 (save $1.04) GHOST RIDER TRAIL OF TEARS #5
$1.95 (save $1.04) PUNISHER #48
$2.97 (save $0.98) TALES FROM THE CRYPT #1[/QUOTE]

I'm very shocked, surprised, and saddened that no one here has mentioned MAILORDERCOMICS.com. Top notch quality, top notch price, and insanely competitive pricing (plus no shipping).

To compare with G-Mart, if you care (from my order):
APR070161 DETECTIVE COMICS #833 $1.49 1 $1.49
APR073608 GI JOE AMERICAS ELITE #24 $2.27 1 $2.27
APR072307 GHOST RIDER #12 $1.85 1 $1.85
APR072300 GHOST RIDER TRAIL OF TEARS #5 (Of 6) $1.85 1 $1.85
APR071875 SPAWN #171 $1.82 1 $1.82 Un-Processed
APR071876 SPAWN GODSLAYER #2 $1.85 1 $1.85

There are generally at *LEAST* 3 books a MONTH that are 75% off, which means picking up some books for a whopping $.74.

Shipping can be done multiple avenues. I generally get all my books at months end. My package for April (including all the Free Comic Book Day stuff) is over 40 pounds, for reference. My order for June included 173 items but shipping was $15.45 for the month. If I wanted it shipped in two orders, it's just $6 more.

A buddy of mine who used to own a comic store (and thusly, I have tons of multiple copies of books in my house--- plugplugplug) swears by them, and honestly--- I haven't regretted anything.

As an example of the superior service, Mike Allred solicited a MADMAN Hardcover a few months back. When checking online, the Hardcover (which I wanted, but had a hefty price tag of about $100 on it) was about $7 cheaper elsewhere. I contacted MOC about it. They matched the price... by changing it in their database *FOR EVERYONE*. How in the world do you beat that?

I spend way more on comics than I'd like to admit (doing a quick average since I started there with January 2005 Previews) I'm averaging $75/week. That generally includes different gifts, T-shirts, we got a Jack Fireplace item from NBX, some statues, etc. over the years too... and TONS of manga. My wife makes sure of that. ;-)

Also, on top of the best deals on the net (great shipping too), if you spend $150/month--- PREVIEWS is free... on top of that, if you're a MEMOLINK member, you get points back THERE as well on your purchase. (anyone can sign up and give me as a reference to either MOC or Memolink, [email protected]) I get nothing from MOC, in the interest of full disclosure.

[quote name='SoulReaver']I'm into buying volumes, rather than just single issues. I don't really like the main-stream stuff like spider-man or superman. I'm looking for deals on comics like Y: The Last Man, Sandman, Swamp thing, etc.[/quote]

Okay, then you will be able to get very good deals. Ebay is a good source, but to be honest, I use amazon a LOT because of the free shipping, no tax, and I just wait for at least 33% off cover price on the trades I want.

This is especially a HUGE savings since I buy the Hardcover editions Marvel puts out (cover price is $25-35 per book, usually collects 12 issues), as well as the really nice collector's sets/Omnibuses that are $75-100+ per book.

There are other sites out there with sales that may drop prices to 50% of cover price or less, but I haven't found a great every day site.

[quote name='karkyco']Okay, then you will be able to get very good deals. Ebay is a good source, but to be honest, I use amazon a LOT because of the free shipping, no tax, and I just wait for at least 33% off cover price on the trades I want.

This is especially a HUGE savings since I buy the Hardcover editions Marvel puts out (cover price is $25-35 per book, usually collects 12 issues), as well as the really nice collector's sets/Omnibuses that are $75-100+ per book.

There are other sites out there with sales that may drop prices to 50% of cover price or less, but I haven't found a great every day site.[/QUOTE]

Some points of the new Omnibus' released in June:
OMNIBUS TP (APR060196) APR070488 $19.99 38% $12.39 5/23/2007
WICKED VOL 1 OMNIBUS TP (STAR19181) APR072213 $19.95 40% $11.97
FANTASTIC FOUR OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC APR072358 $99.99 40% $59.99 6/13/2007
FANTASTIC FOUR OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC VAR ED APR072359 $99.99 40% $59.99 6/13/2007
DAREDEVIL BY FRANK MILLER & KLAUS JANSON OMNIBUS HC VAR ED (DEC062364) (75960612669900111) APR072843 $99.99 40% $59.99

Since they sell these items to the book market, AMAZON will usually be very close on pre-orders ($62 for FF, for example). If you're only buying the one item in that rate, Amazon would be the best since most of the online stores do NOT have free shipping.

Pretty much all DC/Marvel/Image/Dark Horse trades are 38% or more a month at MailOrderComics. These are the trades that are consistently in print and also sold to books stores.

It depends on what you want and when you order.

[quote name='red flare graf']It's in Sherwood, on Kiehl. It's a drive from Little Rock but my parents live over there.[/QUOTE]

What's it called?

And nice to see some other AR CAGs.

Thanks for all the help guys. I just passed by my local comic book store on the way to blockbuster and on Sat. there gonna have a sale. The only thing I read while I passed by was 60% off back issues! I'm going to go there and grab myself a bunch of comics.

[quote name='v0yce']What's it called?

And nice to see some other AR CAGs.[/QUOTE]

Kapow! I think. Exclamation point and all.

It's generally a lot easier to find new comics at his place, I'm not sure if it's because he's not as popular yet or he just orders more than the other guys. He still had Omega Flight #1 and Loners #2 yesterday. Awesome place though, and the owner's cool as hell.

[quote name='red flare graf']Kapow! I think. Exclamation point and all.

It's generally a lot easier to find new comics at his place, I'm not sure if it's because he's not as popular yet or he just orders more than the other guys. He still had Omega Flight #1 and Loners #2 yesterday. Awesome place though, and the owner's cool as hell.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan of the one in Little Rock. The place just seems like a dump to me, and they would randomly place titles not on my pull list in my box.

I know this is a late reply, but you may want to check out heroescorner.com. Besides the typical discount prices from other online stores, they don't kill you on shipping. Depending on how much you buy, its either a flat rate or free.

I found a blog from them and this month they're willing to give anyone who makes at least a $10 purchase some free comics... basically they'll give you all 6 issues of Ultimates 3, which is coming out in December, for free.

Anyway, if you want check out the site. I'm giving them a shot.

After getting slammed on another post, I asked Heroes Corner for re-imbursement for pain and suffering:cry: Of course I didn't get any... shocking!

Anyway, I think my fiddle playing worked out because they've changed around their offer... buy 10 bucks of anything and get 6 free comics of your choice.

Much, much better deal... Maybe if I b$%ch more they'll give'em to me free:roll:

bread's done
Back