Cheap Gaming PC?

carbontiger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I need advice on buying a relatively cheap PC to play games like C+C 3 and other games that don't require a powerhouse rig, nothing crazy like Crysis or anything.

I'm out of the loop when it comes to PCs since I use Macs for work. But Macs are way too expensive for gaming and at this point you need a high end intel processor to play anything decent . Any models that you guys could point out or sites that are having sales would be helpful. Thanks.

EDIT :This one any good?

Nope, integrated graphics. You're on the right track, though. Basically, what you're looking for is a decently priced machine with a somewhat current dual-core processor and 2-3GB of RAM. After that, you can buy your own video card. I would recommend something like the 8800GS, which is cheap and doesn't require a very powerful PSU.

if you guys could point me towards some particular models, that would be great. I honestly don't know what to look for with all the choices out there.

Well I would try to pick up the Graphics Card this week. Best Buy has the GeForce 8800GT 512MB version for $140. You can also use that 12% coupon to make it cheaper. It usually retails for $200+. I got mines (MSI Overclocked Edition) a few months ago for $210. It's a great price.

[quote name='dbzzx']Nope Bad.

Go with a intel, and grab a 8800GT.

AMD is not so great anymore gaming wise.[/QUOTE]

Both Intel and AMD are about the same when it comes to games.

I agree with bigdaddybruce.

1) Problem with having pissing matches over processors is that processors do not play a major role in gaming performance. The video card and amount of RAM are far more important. Most games are not CPU-intensive. A decent dual-core processor is more than enough for any game out there, perhaps with the exception of the few that actually benefit from quad-cores, something like a Supreme Commander. Even then, you can still play and enjoy the game on fairly high settings. You just can't max the thing out.

2) The 8800GT is a great card, but you have to keep in mind that most pre-built, non-gaming machines come with rather low-quality 300W to 350W PSUs that do not rate high on the 12V rail. While they may be just enough, barely, to power an 8800GT, there would be no room to add other drives or cards down the road.

I tell this to everyone who posts topics like this: DO NOT BUY A PRE-BUILT SYSTEM. Basically your dilemma is that there's no such thing as a cheap gaming PC; there's either a cheap PC or a gaming PC. Do yourself a favor and go to someplace like a Fry's Electronics (if you have one local) or even Newegg.com, buy all the individual parts themselves, and either have a A+ certified person build it or do it yourself.

It may seem like a daunting task to take on but believe me its alot easier than you'd think. Truth be told it is more like doing a lego set: just put the parts together and there you go! I'm not that good with electronics and I've built 4 of them! Plus its always going to be cheaper in the long run to do things this way: upgrading is a terrible chore with a pre-built system and the parts are always going to be cheaper doing it yourself.

So, in essence, build one yourself. You'll be happy that you did.

EDIT: if you absolutely have to have a pre-built system then either go with Dell (ew) or Acer (halfway decent). HPs are all lemons in the making and Compaqs are pieces of crap.

[quote name='Slackerchan']I tell this to everyone who posts topics like this: DO NOT BUY A PRE-BUILT SYSTEM. Basically your dilemma is that there's no such thing as a cheap gaming PC; there's either a cheap PC or a gaming PC. Do yourself a favor and go to someplace like a Fry's Electronics (if you have one local) or even Newegg.com, buy all the individual parts themselves, and either have a A+ certified person build it or do it yourself.

It may seem like a daunting task to take on but believe me its alot easier than you'd think. Truth be told it is more like doing a lego set: just put the parts together and there you go! I'm not that good with electronics and I've built 4 of them! Plus its always going to be cheaper in the long run to do things this way: upgrading is a terrible chore with a pre-built system and the parts are always going to be cheaper doing it yourself.

So, in essence, build one yourself. You'll be happy that you did.[/quote]

I built my own computer, but it's not for everyone. You can buy a moderately priced pre-built, slap a video card in it, and you have a gaming machine.

op-
what monitor size/resolution will you be gaming at?
what is your price range?
do you want pre-built or interested in building your own?

you can get get a compaq SR5410F for $380 circuitcity and drop in 2gb $40 and a geforce 9600$90 newegg, that will play most games fine and be cheaper than the amazon you linked too

If you are looking for something pre-assembled, Gateway has a pretty good, inexpensive, gaming pc (FX7026). It has an 8800gt graphics card, which will let you play pretty much any game you want (although not Crysis at full settings). It might be more power than you're looking for, but if it's within your price range, it will give you much better performance than any desktop with integrated graphics. I have a similar model and I am very happy with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8772768&type=product&id=1204331806567

[quote name='vherub']op-
what monitor size/resolution will you be gaming at?
what is your price range?
do you want pre-built or interested in building your own?

you can get get a compaq SR5410F for $380 circuitcity and drop in 2gb $40 and a geforce 9600$90 newegg, that will play most games fine and be cheaper than the amazon you linked too[/QUOTE]

Monitor's 20"
i'm looking to spend up to 800 bucks, but as I've mentioned, I've been out of the market for PCs for awhile and don't know if that's too little for something decent.
I would prefer re-built and since everyone seems to like the same graphics card, I can always just swap that out.

@Harmonics,

I don't think I'll need a Quad core, it seems a bit much. but thanks.

I did some searching and was wondering if this is a good build:

The Second Post of this thread.

I have a buddy who is willing to put it together for a hundred bucks or I could try to do it myself

BTW, what's the difference between dual core and core 2 duo?

[quote name='carbontiger']BTW, what's the difference between dual core and core 2 duo?[/quote]

As far as I can remember, and I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall Intel dual cores being a 90nm chip (higher power requirement, outdated since 2006) while Intel's Core 2 Duo line is made on the 65nm and newer (read: last 3 months) 45nm chips. What you get with a lower size processor are better temperature readings, higher clock cycles, and less straining power requirements.

Again if you want a pre-built system make sure to ask whether its a 65nm chip or a 45nm. You won't notice much of a performance enhancement but you wilkl notice the power savings.

Give me an hour and a half from now and I can set you up a list of parts to match your budget on Newegg.com (monitor included). I'll post the link when I'm done.

BTW, what's the difference between dual core and core 2 duo?

There's a a bit of a confusion over these, due to Intel's naming scheme. Pentium D processors, which were sometimes referred to as Pentium Dual-Cores, where Netburst-based processors. Essentially, they were two Pentium 4 processors slapped together.

Now, though, Pentium/Intel Dual-Core processors are essentially lower-end Core 2 processors.

[quote name='Slackerchan']As far as I can remember, and I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall Intel dual cores being a 90nm chip (higher power requirement, outdated since 2006) while Intel's Core 2 Duo line is made on the 65nm and newer (read: last 3 months) 45nm chips. What you get with a lower size processor are better temperature readings, higher clock cycles, and less straining power requirements.

Again if you want a pre-built system make sure to ask whether its a 65nm chip or a 45nm. You won't notice much of a performance enhancement but you wilkl notice the power savings.

Give me an hour and a half from now and I can set you up a list of parts to match your budget on Newegg.com (monitor included). I'll post the link when I'm done.[/QUOTE]

I don't actually need a monitor. I got a deal on one awhile back. So that should shave some off the budget.

that would be great if you could post that, thanks

I agree with the "build your own" logic.

SD has a GREAT topic on this. I built a super gaming rig for less than $400. I CAN play Crysis on it. Now, the catch - I took about 2 months to build it. I waited for cheap prices. I bought all of the parts from Newegg or Club IT.

Graphics card is your big expense. I bought mine through craigslist. This is where performance shines or crumbles.

Thanks,
Matthew

thanks bigdaddybruce. I was hesitant about it but i guess I'll grab it on the upside its only 300 bucks too.

edit: Just had another question Im not tooo savvy on the amd but that processor is it AMD's version of an intel dual core?

Unfortunately Newegg isn't being friend and thus it won't post the public wishlist I made for you until tomorrow sometime. If you could PM me your e-mail address I'll send it right your way.

OP - I know this might be blasphemy here on CAG for you might want to check Fatwallet.com for PC deals. The have a very active forum on computers and you can find some really good prices on systems (a lot for Dell but some for other companies as well) that just need to have a quality graphics card added to get a gaming setup.

I was in the same boat as you last week - way behind in current tech and not interested in building the whole thing from scratch. Ended up getting a pretty decent gaming system for under $600 with a minimum of building...

Dell Inspiron 530 - ($359 ($412 w/tax & shipping))
E8200 Intel core 2 duo chip (they had quad 6600 for $50 more but like you I figured it's not really needed for gaming)
Vista Home Premium
500 GB HD
2GB RAM (800 mhz)
16x DVD+/-RW.

Deal is dead now but link to the thread about it - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/834641

Picked up the 8800GT Video Card that's on sale at BB this week ($145 after coupon + tax) but there's a bunch of deals on 8800gt cards lately at Frys or Newegg.com for under $200. This one was really good because of not having to mess around with rebate forms and cutting out the UPC.

Link - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...800gt&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1196469743507

Also picked up a better Power Supply - not sure if I needed it as people have said they've put an 8800 in a Dell without upgrading the PSU but I wanted to be safe. Again, there's always sales/rebates going on for these - I went with the Antec Earthwatts 430 for $30 after rebate from Newegg (going on through June.)

Link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

I'll most likely add another 2GB RAM for $25-30 later but for now 2GB is enough. I think I ended up with something pretty good that can even play the latest games (though not at highest settings) - Maybe I could have done better buying all the parts seperately but personally, I like Dell as a PC maker so I went with this.

Anyway, if you don't need the system right now, I'd suggest you pick up that video card from BB this week, then keep an eye on the forums at FW for the next couple weeks (I think there's another Dell Inspiron 530 deal going on for a system w/ monitor for $700 shipped but like I said, there's always a new sale/coupon/deal getting posted almost every day - find the best one for you and jump on it right away since most don't last too long before going dead (the one I had lasted under 1 day.)

Hope this helped some.

[quote name='dbzzx']No Intel is very ahead of AMD ask any PC professional.

Here: This is a decent deal, im sure you can find better but this is a example of a good pc that can take a PCI-E x16 Card such as the 8800GT.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=1&id=1203815923902#productdetail[/quote]

I'm a PC professional, and disagree with you. AMD is FAR from trash, and that seems to be the implication. AMD still hasn't moved to the 45nm tech, once that happens the benchmarks will look a lot different. Their socket 939 (last generation) chips blew intel's P4 stuff away in every way. In fact, I assert that without AMD's competition, computing wouldn't be where it is today; because Intel wouldn't have to push the envelope in order to retain sales.

So, Even though Intel technically has better chips right now, The new machine I'm going to have to build in the next few months will be an AMD rig, in order to to support the only viable competitor to Intel in the marketplace (Intel = Microsoft 10 years ago, but worse).

AMD 'fanboy' rant aside, if you want to build a low cost, high power gaming machine, you should order your parts off of newegg.

Intel's newest platform is still the LGA775.. I would get:

Chip:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052
$131.99 - Chip is 45 NM, and very overclockable. You could just tweak the front side bus (FSB), and get a LOT more speed out of this - even with a stock cooler.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136034
$79.99 - Pretty solid motherboard, good options.. not a hardcore enthusiast board, but if you were looking at buying a prebuilt retail box, then you aren't an enthusiast.

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
$56.00 - $25.00 Mail in Rebate - I would consider 2 kits, even though on a x32 OS, it'll only use 3. The price is good, and the board I listed has 4 slots. no sense going above 1 gig sticks. may want to get 2 sets.

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130333
$137.99 - $30.00 Mail in Rebate - 8800s are good, cheap cards.

Case/PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024
$129.95 - just as an example.. Shipping on cases KILLS what you save in price. Get a PSU that is at least 500 watts (I trust antec in general), and a case you like.. shouldn't cost more than what I listed. I got my last case for $80 at a local shop (www.generalnanosystems.com)

Thats the guts of what you need.. you can get a DVD ROM drive/recorder for under 50 on new egg, but prices vary based on quality/features.. so I left it out. Add $100 for Windows XP pro if you don't have it already.
Total (without OS, CD/DVD drives, 2 GB of RAM) $535.92 - $55 in MIRs.

If you are buying a pre-built system check out the Dell Outlet and look at the XPS420 models. You can get some really good deals. Many of them come with an 8800GT and if you find a good one that doesn't, the power supply can handle one if you decide to add it. I have purchased many systems from the Outlet and only had trouble with one and they handled it for me very well.

BatlleChicken, Yes I agree that AMD use to be better, But as of NOW which is when he is asking for a pc, Intel is better.

Even if he goes with the one I linked, he will be good for a long while, I also agree building yourself is better and usually cheaper(I have seen some nutty deals).

[quote name='carbontiger']Holy Sh*T, thanks BattleChicken![/quote]

I love this kind of stuff -- if you have any questions, if you decide to build your own, let me know I'd be happy to help/give additional suggestions.

Found this on slickdeals. Yay or nay:

Vostro 400
Intel® Core™2 Duo Proc E8300 (2.83GHz,6MB L2Cache,1333FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
Video Card 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT
P320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

$770 shipped

[quote name='carbontiger']Found this on slickdeals. Yay or nay:

Vostro 400

$770 shipped[/quote]

Chip is OK, depending on the flavor of the video card, its OK too. The OS sucks. XP pro (or x64) or nothing, IMO. Chances are, the motherboard also sucks. If it only has 2 slots, you can't go beyond 2 GBs of RAM without buying 2GB memory chips, which are still pretty expensive.. and have some isolated problems with certain hardware. if the HDD is 7200 RPMs, its OK. burner is OK. Sound card is OK -- all in all not bad, but you could built something better for cheaper.

I loathe to buy retail in general... But You MAY want to check your best buy for a Velocity Micro PC on clearance. I've seen some with better specs than that for $650 (if you can find the same model as the one at my local store). The specs to price ratio made me very tempted to buy one.. nice case, good parts, hand built machines. The discount for the boxes was pretty unreal, and the parts and motherboard were all listed individually on the box, name brand, known-good stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat133100050007&type=category

Check your best buy for clearance models of the velocity PCs. theres a model that is clearanced for $650 that is pretty great, and I think it also stacks with a 12% off coupon floating around right now. -- they had boxed ones at my local BBY, if yours does too that might be a better way to go.

[quote name='carbontiger']Found this on slickdeals. Yay or nay:

Vostro 400

$770 shipped[/QUOTE]

The Vostro 400 is Dell's business version of the Inspiron 530 (just a black color instead of the silver/white) - It has 4 slots for RAM and the HD is 7200RPM.

The OS sucks. XP pro (or x64) or nothing, IMO.
There's nothing wrong with XP Home, at all. Most home users aren't even going to use most of the features Pro offers, anyway. Considering people are looking for cheap gaming PCs, Home is more than enough. That's what I have running on the machine I built back in '06.

EDIT: I also just took a quick look at the Vostro 400's tech specs, and it does have 4 DIMMs, so you could go beyond 2GB without deploying 2GB RAM sticks.

Haven't had any problem with mine, and just ordered another. Sure, Intel is probably better, but money left in my pocket is > that the % going Intel would benefit.

[quote name='dbzzx']No Intel is very ahead of AMD ask any PC professional.

Here: This is a decent deal, im sure you can find better but this is a example of a good pc that can take a PCI-E x16 Card such as the 8800GT.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=1&id=1203815923902#productdetail[/QUOTE]

I sided with the "BUILD YOUR OWN" side. There's plenty of info online if you need a few pointers (or as 20something adults say,fucking google it!). A quick search offered this link:

http://digg.com/tech_news/How_to_build_a_sweet_gaming_PC_for_538
(keep in mind that the article is from June 2007, so make sure when you are sourcing components that you are looking at newer parts)

If you don't have a Fry's Electronics store within a reasonable distance of your home, try the following websites just as others have suggested:

http://www.frys.com/

http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

You'll save yourself a ton of money this way. I just built my first computer, a HTPC rig. From start to finish (installed O/S, programs and updates), it took me about 4 1/2 hours. As a newbie to building a PC, the only true drawback is the inevitable headaches that come from learning on the fly -- easily remedied by aspirins and/or booze (if you're old enough).

One last thing: the O/S. More than likely, you'll be using Vista Premium or Vista Ultimate. I would suggest that you find a reputable retailer, online or B&M, that sells an OEM version of the O/S (NewEgg does, BTW). Nothing sucks more these days than having a "new" copy of the O/S, only to find that it has been registered previously or you have a bootleg. Keep in mind, an individual purchasing an OEM version still gets updates and genuine validation but IS NOT eligible for Microsoft Tech Support if needed. My past experience with MS tech support has been so-so at best, so I feel that I'm not missing anything by not paying the additional $20-$80 for a retail version. Plus, you might get lucky and find a good deal. For my HTPC, I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-Bit OEM which I purchased at a local Fry's on sale for $169 -- and it came with a $50 gift card that I received before I left the store! Hell, at least 75% of the components I purchased came with a rebate on top of its sale price!

Using a free, open source O/S like Unbuntu might work, but it would test the nerves of the inexperienced, requiring a world of patience, and might not work at all for what you need your PC to do. My gut tells me that someone out there with a bunch more experience than I have has made it work, so you never know.

Good Luck.

EDIT: OOPS, I forgot motherboards. I'm using a Gigabyte board (GA-MA78GM-S2H) which I can't really complain about (except their tech support is unable to answer heavily specific questions). My uncle builds custom PC's as a retirement hobby and depending on application and CPU, has used Abit, Asus, and MSI. Word on the street says avoid ECS -- QC isn't up to snuff.

You'll save yourself a ton of money this way. I just built my first computer, a HTPC rig. From start to finish (installed O/S, programs and updates), it took me about 4 1/2 hours. As a newbie to building a PC, the only true drawback are the inevitable headaches that come from learning on the fly -- easily remedied by aspirins and/or booze (if you're old enough).
How much money you save will really depend on how much you are looking to spend. The more expensive a rig you want, the more you will save by building it. At the very low-end of the spectrum, you won't save much, if anything, by building yourself.

There are still other advantages of building, though. One, you will have more overclocking freedom. With a pre-built, the only thing you can OC is the video card. There are some risky modifications you can make to a pre-built, but they don't always work, and you'll be completely voiding your warranty. Also, you will know the quality of the parts that are going into the machine. OEMs often cut corners by using low-quality "invisible" parts, things like power supplies and drives, that the average user could care less about. In the long run, though, the higher quality parts you have, the more smoothly your machine will run and the longer it will last without any problems. Lastly, by building yourself, you know exactly the expandability of the system. You won't be caught by surprise when you want to add something, only to find out that it won't fit or that it isn't compatible.

find a reputable retailer, online or B&M, that sells an OEM version of the O/S
Most certainly. There really isn't much reason for a system builder to not go with OEM Windows. The only real disadvantage is that, legally, the license is tied to the machine the OS is originally installed on. There are ways to get around this, though, if you ever find a need to move the OS to another machine. For the most part, people just tell MS that their motherboard got fried, and that they were unable to get a hold of the same model.

bread's done
Back