Cheap/good shelves?

smilewinner

CAG Veteran
I'm sure there have been threads like this before but can anyone point me in the direction of good shelves for displaying CDs and video games? Also, if anyone knows of good shelves from Best Buy that's even better because I have giftcards, but if there are better and cheaper ones somewhere else I'd rather have those.

Walmart is real cheap if you don't need an uber-large bookshelf; you can get a three-shelver for $15 and I think they have a larger one for around $30.

I'll second BigLots. I have that shelf linked above (in a darker color) and it's really great. Took me about 25 minutes to put together and it looks pretty decent. It often goes on sale for $5-$10 off.

The only problem is that it does not hold 280 DVD's/games; it only holds 265. You could possibly shove 270 in there, but you would need the jaws of life to get them out again. If cases were all the size of 3DS cases, then you'd be able to fit 280.

Anyway, despite that false number they give, it's a very good set of shelves.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Walmart is real cheap if you don't need an uber-large bookshelf; you can get a three-shelver for $15 and I think they have a larger one for around $30.[/QUOTE]

I've used and recommended WM shelves in the past but their new ones really suck. I just bought a bookshelf and it wasn't finished (by design) on the very top and the underside of the bottom two shelves. I guess the idea was that it's pointless to finish those areas since you can't see them.

But they're still cheap as hell and work as intended.

I also recommend the shelf that ZombieToast and salty tbone discussed. It comes together practically instantly, holds quite a few games, and best of all, it's not that bulky. It's just deep enough to hold a standard-sized DVD case (though it does bulge out a few inches at the base), but it holds boxed and loose games for any system just fine. Wal-Mart also sells that shelf, but if you go that route, do yourself a favor and just pay the $5 to ship it to your house. I did site-to-store and it took 2 and a half weeks to get it.

For displaying light objects, Home Depot has some pretty awesome little shelves that arent too obtrusive. I got mine which is about 3ft long and 7 inches deep hanging over my night stand for about $12

[quote name='ZombieToast']I'll second BigLots. I have that shelf linked above (in a darker color) and it's really great. Took me about 25 minutes to put together and it looks pretty decent. It often goes on sale for $5-$10 off.

The only problem is that it does not hold 280 DVD's/games; it only holds 265. You could possibly shove 270 in there, but you would need the jaws of life to get them out again. If cases were all the size of 3DS cases, then you'd be able to fit 280.

Anyway, despite that false number they give, it's a very good set of shelves.[/QUOTE]

I have that same one and it's a piece of shit. The shelves start sagging like crazy.

I haven't had that problem with mine. I used to have the smaller one and it sagged pretty bad, but this one has been great. I maybe have just been lucky, but even if the shelves did sag, It's still be content because it holds a good amount of games and it matches my entertainment center quite nicely.

bread's done
Back