Cheap Headphones

cruzfactor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm looking for some cheap, but good headphones for my mp3 player. I recently bought some colored JVC Gumy headphones for about $10 at Best Buy. They worked well at first, but now the sound tends to come from one side. I have to play with the cord to get the sound to come out properly on both ends. Any help??? What's the most I should be spending on reliable headphones anyway???

While I'm here, let me play with the Smilies....
:wave:

The marshmellows are decent for the price. I think 20 or so. Next step up are the Sony EX-71s which are in the 50 range. Prices for headphones can get up there as I own 2 pairs of IEM (In-ear Monitors) that has a combined MSRP value of 400, so it's much easier to state a budget and find something in that range.

I second the JVC Marshmallows (HA-FX33). They did get good reviews from Head-Fi members because of their price point. I got them on sale for $9+ at Circuit City and use them for the gym with Shure foamies. Their non-sale prices range from $13-20. You can also check out the Sennheiser MX500 (~$15).

If you don't want earbuds, the Koss KSC75 are ~$20 with a lifetime warranty. I don't have them, but the consensus is that they have great sound quality and are awesome for budgeted people who want lifelong insurance on their 'phones. Koss has an eBay store and good customer service when it comes to headphone replacement.

Like Orochi, I also have IEMs in addition to full-size and portable headphones. Decent IEMs will run you at least $70-$100 (Shure, UE, Etys, Westone) and as much as $500+ for the top-notch stuff. For more ideas, you can visit http://www.head-fi.org.

i have these panasonic ear buds from FRYS. this is my 2nd pair. i use them at work and wound up tugging the wire so much out of my ear when ppl would come by to talk to me that i ruined the first pair. the sound quality is great imo. and i prefer ear buds over headphones cuz i have spikey hair :D. they're not uncomfortable, but i wouldn't say they feel like pillows. i barely notice them in my ear, but hey...for 4.90, i don't think you could get any better.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3807657;jsessionid=J0rZav7iLEChs9WMQ1JeZg**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I did this with some applie in-ears and shure E2 foams. Picked up both on ebay for less than $18 shipped and voila, fancy in ear headphones. I also like Koss' plug series, about $11.

[quote name='anotherjeff']I did this with some applie in-ears and shure E2 foams.[/quote] That's pretty much what I did for my FX33 with the Shure foamies (in my other post above), but I got the idea from Head-Fi. It's an inexpensive way to make cheap 'phones fit better. :D

Hehe, modding cheap headphones are fun. :) I modded my pair of Koss KSC75. It's a great pair of workout/jogging cans. Modding makes it better but they're great out of the box as well.

Head-fi is a fantastic forum but man does it hit the wallet hard when you're on there for too long. :\

[quote name='orochi']Head-fi is a fantastic forum but man does it hit the wallet hard when you're on there for too long. :\[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it, I spent $100 on some Alessandro MS-1's. Couldn't resist.

Koss KSC75. I have them and they work great, SQ is very superior to the iPod's headphones (ha). Or you could spent an extensive amount of time looking up the different headphones in the ~$80 range and pick what you think is best. There are tons of good IEMs in the sub-100 range.

bread's done
Back