Cheap Magic: The Gathering

Schmackledorf

CAGiversary!
I might start playing again as several of my roomates and some friends have started playing again recently and I've been joining them. I'd like to have some decent decks for myself, but naturally don't want to spend too much money getting cards to do so (I've got video games to buy, after all). If anyone can help, that'd help a lot. Thanks!

Although I haven't played as much in the past year, most of my advice and links should still help you out.

Your first option is to buy a preconstructed deck. No matter where you buy it, it'll run $10-15. There are usually four or five precons released per set. They're typically built around the set's different themes and are a pretty good starting point. If you go with this option, be ready to fork out some cash for extra cards because while they're fully playable out of the box, most of them are greatly improved by adding cards. It may actually be better to buy from a local store for these as online retailers tend to mark up the price of the better precons (though it's usually not that bad unless there's a card that's used in tournaments in the deck).

If you're just playing casually with your friends, and can resist the temptation of having the latest and greatest cards then you should buy singles online. For most cards that have rotated out of Standard (those that are usable in the most common type of tournaments) prices per card range from $0.10 to $0.25. Rares many rares from older sets are $0.25 to $0.50 unless they're really good. Cards from current sets that don't see much tournament use are generally $0.50 to $1.00. Basic lands can be bought in bulk for a few bucks. All things considered, you can build some good to great decks for under $20.

The only problem with buying and building a deck solely from singles is that you already need a deck idea (Color, objective, theme?, specific mechanics?). I'd suggest starting by using the Gathering on the MtG website. It's a database of every magic card ever printed so you should probably limit your search to a specific color and set (or block) to avoid being overwhelmed.

I'm not sure how long it's been since you last played or how into it you were so I can't give any really specific advice so just ask if you have any questions.

Anyway, I usually shop for singles at http://www.blackandbluemagic.com/ as their prices on older cards are pretty low and they have cheap shipping. In the past I've order from http://www.shuffleandcut.com/ and http://www.anycraze.com/ , but even when these two have lower prices, the margin is small enough that their higher shipping makes black and blue cheaper in the end.

For my last piece of advice, look into different versions of popular reprinted cards. Often certain cards are rereleased in each core set and you may be able to save a buck by buying a slightly older version.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I personally use Cardkingdom.com, while not really exponentially cheaper than other sites, the customer support is pretty good and you get your orders really quick and cards are always in top shape and sent very protectively. The whole free booster for when you spend 50 is a cool incentive too if you're gonna do batch orders.

I have around 500 or more cards. Make me an offer. I have had them for over 10 years. They are all protected, with several full decks. Each card is placed in a protected sleeve.

I've got two starter decks, both open but neither used. They're yours for the price of shipping if you're interested. Send me a PM.

Didn't Wizard have that promotion going that if you register in their site, then they'll send you 2 pre-con decks? I got my 2 a few months ago, but I'm not sure if the promo is still active or not.

www.findmagiccards.com is a decent site to buy singles from as it lists the prices of cards from multiple online stores. Anycraze, as mention, is another good site to use, and you can also browse user submitted decks and strategies. Finally, www.essentialmagic.com is another good site to use for similar reasons to Anycraze (although I much perfer essentialmagic.)

I also sometimes use smedlock.com free shipping over $20 and located close to me in Ohio so I get my cards in a couple days.

Sweet, thanks a lot guys.

@rumarudrathas: Yeah, but that was a little less than a year ago I think. I went back to check that thread on the extreme off chance the deal was still going, but it appears to be dead :(

bread's done
Back