Cheap mid-high level video card

PuNK45S

CAGiversary!
I think my videocard is dying and I'm in need of a new one anyway.

So anyone know of any good deals on mid-high level videocards.

I would prefer one that has 1gb of memory, but I'd settle for a really good deal on anything 512mb or higher.

Memory means almost nothing when it comes to graphic cards unless you want a super high resolution.

Go to newegg.com

Then pick one of these: Nvidia 8800 GT, Ati 4500, or Ati 4700.

Those are going from least powerful to most powerful.

If you wanna go really cheap you could get a Nvidia 8600 , now with this there is no reason to get above 256mb.

512MB is the new minimum. Not for all games but as time goes one, you'll be happy you got 512MB instead of 256MB. I'm currently waiting to find a 8800 GT 512MB for $100 or less after rebate. hoping to see one in the next week or two.

techbargains.com

watch this site it has like 200+ updates a day, many of which are nvidia 8600's and up... i've seen 9800's for as low as 170 $. other than the new 200 series, thats top of the line.

and please make sure you have enough room in your case for a high end card before you buy one... then can be as long as a foot. so don't expect to throw that in a micro atx case and have room to work with.

and as a note, with techbargains i found a deal and got a new 8600 gt (mid range) with 2 gigs of ddr2 800 ram for $40 shipped. not too bad of a deal to stick in my old desktop :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Poor2More']I am looking for a video card for my Laptop, are videocards universal or do I have to buy one particular for a laptop?[/quote]
You are going to need to make sure you have a motherboard that supports a graphics card and from there you will likely have very few options to choose from. What model laptop do you have and what graphics do you currently have (installed or built-in/on-board)?

bread's done
Back