Cheap USB controller

markholladay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
You guys know of a place to get a cheap USB controller for the PC. Force feedback would be awesome but not necessary. I am looking for a controller, not a joystick. Thans for the help.

CompUSA, usually B&M, sells Thrustmaster dual analog(similar to PS2) controllers, no force feed back, 10 bucks. (much, much better than the logitech peices of crap)

Thanks for the response. Where is a good place to get a converter for an xbox controller? Does it work good?

THanks Alpha2, i am going to check that out

[quote name='markholladay']Thanks for the response. Where is a good place to get a converter for an xbox controller? Does it work good?

THanks Alpha2, i am going to check that out[/QUOTE]

I ordered one from eBay. It was about $5 shipped. I downloaded some drivers from the internet and it works well for most games. Doesn't work with Winning Eleven games though. Not sure what other games it won't work with.

Scour your local Best Buy.
About a year ago I picked up a GameForce playstation-esque joypad for $7 total. Not force feedback, but it's USB and gets the job done.

Thanks for all the replys. I ended up ordering a cord to use my XBOX controller. It was only $6 shipped. I am waiting for it to come in. Hopefuly it will work good. :)

[quote name='markholladay']Thanks for all the replys. I ended up ordering a cord to use my XBOX controller. It was only $6 shipped. I am waiting for it to come in. Hopefuly it will work good. :)[/QUOTE]

Where did you get it? I'm thinking about getting one as well.

I dont know about you guys, but the best pc controller i've used is the Saitekp2500. 1, it has all of the buttons of a ps2/xbox controller (thats a given). Second, some games like doom 3 and half life 2 wont let you use a controller period, so it comes with simple programming software that allows both mouse and keyboard emulation. A shift button doubles the amount of buttons on the controller, too. It costs $30, not so cheap, but it's an investment that Im glad I made.

I also have that thrustmaster, but the 2 extra shoulder buttons doesnt add any more buttons, so dont get confused. You can only program it for use with another button

Personally, I don't see the point of needing that many buttons. Who seriously plays FPS games with a controller? Anyone who's really into FPS's is going to use a keyboard-mouse combo; that's one of the big reasons that FPS games are so pervasive on the PC (just like fighting games are pervasive on consoles). If you really need that many buttons, chances are you are not using the optimal input device for that game.

As for the Thrustmaster, my experiences with Thrustmaster have been nothing but horrible. I had a Dual Analog Firestorm 2, and I literally had to take it apart every month. The analog sticks would break, the button + directional contact pads would slide around, and now, it just randomly powers down while it's in use.

By comparison, my PSX controllers (which are like 7 years old now) are still working fine (and I've used them far more intensely, even thrown them a few times). So from what I see, console controllers are both cheaper, and of higher quality than their PC counterparts. It really is a no-brainer for me.

bread's done
Back