Cheap Xbox360 memory 16GB usb thumbdrive $5.99 BBY

IIRC xbox has minimal standards on speed for a flash drive so unless someone has actually used this one on an xbox, it's not guaranteed to work.

But I picked one up anyway for my pc. $6 for 16GB is a very good deal. thanks oP

[quote name='confoosious']IIRC xbox has minimal standards on speed for a flash drive so unless someone has actually used this one on an xbox, it's not guaranteed to work.

But I picked one up anyway for my pc. $6 for 16GB is a very good deal. thanks oP[/QUOTE]

Any flash drive will work, all you need to do is format it to FATX. I use 2.0 NTFS sticks to watch 1080p movies on my console, so speed isn't a problem.

[quote name='Blade']Any flash drive will work, all you need to do is format it to FATX. I use 2.0 NTFS sticks to watch 1080p movies on my console, so speed isn't a problem.[/QUOTE]

Note If the USB flash drive is rated below the recommended speed, you might experience reduced game performance and quality. To cancel and try another USB flash drive, select Cancel.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive

I believe confoosious is referring to something like that.

[quote name='confoosious']yeah, I was. There's a 99.9% chance this one will work. It's probably some of the older drives that don't meet the requirements, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

Think you missed a not in there...

[quote name='kilik64']Think you missed a not in there...[/QUOTE]
Are you referring to his 99.9% sure this will "not" work? The system requirements are 1gb in size and FAT32. That's it, doesn't say anything else. So I do believe your "not" comment is invalid.

[quote name='kilik64']Think you missed a not in there...[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'll parse it for you.

There's a 99.9% chance this one will work. = the one on sale in the OP

It = 'flash drives that don't meet the minimal requirements referenced in that link'

[are]

"probably some of the older drives"

I won't trust something important like memory with PNY. Pay the extra money for a brand name Sandisk or Kingston

Just to chime in. I bought this last week @ this price and for this purpose. It ABSOLUTELY works for my Arcade (phat) 360. Have most stuff on a hdd but installed BLOPS 2 to this flash drive.

Worth noting:

1) On my 360, it only fits in the front ports as the plastic housing obstructs it from 'slipping in the rear' port of the console. Funny but the casing of the drive threw me off at first. You actually push the casing back to expose the port insert -- like the foreskin of a penis, LOL.

2)Once inserted, go to the 'system' area of the menu then the 'memory' submenu. From there, the 360 will take you through a formatting wizard to ready the drive for use with your console. It will also tell you if your drive is compatible, (this one is compatible).

3)For all this minimal trouble, load times are friggin' FAST!

4) If you're worried abt. drive failure, you could always save your gamesaves to 'the cloud' periodically for backup. MP stats are saved by 3arc anyway 'for anti-cheat' purposes.

5)You still need the gamedisk in the console drive, of course. You'll see lots of kids on youtube asking why they still need a game disk. Answer: piracy would be that much easier if the physical disk wasn't still required.

For ~$6, this was a great buy for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple questions:

Can I transfer items from my computer to the 360 with one of these flash drives (or any to be more general)?

Once a flash drive is plugged into the 360, will it become like a memory card for the 360 only? Like, I couldn't use the flash drive for computer-to-computer transfers?

Just deciding how many I might want to get at this price.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']A couple questions:

Can I transfer items from my computer to the 360 with one of these flash drives (or any to be more general)?

Once a flash drive is plugged into the 360, will it become like a memory card for the 360 only? Like, I couldn't use the flash drive for computer-to-computer transfers?

Just deciding how many I might want to get at this price.[/QUOTE]

I think the Xbox has a wizard to let you "customize" the thumb drive--setting the amount of space you want your Xbox to be able to use, and how much space is available for use with PC files.

I haven't actually tried it, though. Can someone else confirm?

By the way, thanks, OP--in for one. I just got a Transcend Jet 32gb unit last week and it became unreadable on my Xbox already. So picking this up just to have another one to try.

[quote name='mossfan563']Hmmm buy now? Or should I wait a few days?[/QUOTE]

If you want it now get it, if you wait a few days it'll still be fine there will be other flashdrives on sale that is better. Or thiis will come back

Picked one of these up on Black Friday. From my experience it is not really usable on the 360. It will become corrupt after turning the system off otherwise it works fine.

[quote name='Kolgar']By the way, thanks, OP--in for one. I just got a Transcend Jet 32gb unit last week and it became unreadable on my Xbox already. So picking this up just to have another one to try.[/QUOTE]

Those transcend are nightmares on Xbox. If you have files on them and then want to add more, the system formats it.

Might just pick one of these for viewing files. Hopefully it doesn't have the same issue.

Just a word of warning that I posted in the BBY BOTD thread about these: in my experience, this drive is junk. I bought two of these exact drives earlier this year when they were $15. One lasted just over a month before it stopped working, the other lasted a few more weeks.

Windows says the drive needs formatted, but any attempt to format fails. PNY did set me up with an RMA to exchange them, but at my own shipping expense.

I bought the 32gb version of this last week and it works fine. Wish I can put in more than the maximum 2 usb flash drives. Better than paying for an overpriced 320gb hard drive.

[quote name='sp00ge']Just a word of warning that I posted in the BBY BOTD thread about these: in my experience, this drive is junk. I bought two of these exact drives earlier this year when they were $15. One lasted just over a month before it stopped working, the other lasted a few more weeks.

Windows says the drive needs formatted, but any attempt to format fails. PNY did set me up with an RMA to exchange them, but at my own shipping expense.[/QUOTE]

+1 Dont get. Junk indeed

You can use 32GB USB drives on 360 now. I found that out just after installing my 16GB USB drive that I received last week.

I wouldn't even bother buying a 16GB. I'm looking for a good deal on a 32GB drive and I'll be good with that alongside the other 16GB.

The best thumb drive is a MicroSD card in a tiny reader. Always upgradeable and the old smaller card can be used in other electronics that require less space (camera/GPS/phone)

What the fuck is wrong with Shaq up there???

[quote name='Blade']Any flash drive will work, all you need to do is format it to FATX. I use 2.0 NTFS sticks to watch 1080p movies on my console, so speed isn't a problem.[/QUOTE]
False google it... I got 2 of the same that do not like my 3 xbox's and others as well. Works fine on other stuff but there are some that do not a simple google search tells you this...

this is not true at all. Xbox can actually be finnicky about what it takes. If its not up to speed it will give a message saying the memory card does not meet the requirements or something like that.

You can still format it and it may work, but be warned. It can bork up. I had one that i was using that had given me the message and i lost a lot of data durring a systm transfer because of it. I think that one was a patriot. Right now i use one of the patriot XT ones and it works great.. anyone got any info on this particular card? I see DaBoltz got it to work: but did it give you the error message when you formated?

I went to pick up one of these last night but they were sold out, which I didn't know when I took it to the register. Luckily I was able to get a price adjustment on the 16GB Compact version (Model: P-FD16GCOM-GE - SKU: 4896077) no questions asked since they were sold out and the cashiers was dealing with the confusion between the two all day.

Anyway, as it's going to be used primarily for storing random stuff on it, I decided to try it out on my 360 to see if it meets the system's requirements and sure enough this model passed it. I transfered a few arcade games back and forth, comparing speed with my 8GB SanDisk Cruzer, and the PNY Attache was definitely faster.

As mentioned earlier by someone else in this thread, it doesn't (for whatever reason) fit in the back of the 360. Plugging it in on the front was a bit of a squeeze to get in.

bread's done
Back