Cheap, Yet Decent Laser Printer Needed

dcgm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I need a laser printer (monochrome) for my college place. I want a small one that can print my occasional paper or article. I've seen the Brother ones and they look pretty good. You can get them for around $60 on ebay, new and shipped.

Is there anything I should know? Please post any good deals or recommendations.

Thanks,

dcgm

Samsung printers are constantly around 50, and the cartridges last about 3000 pages, easily refillable for like $3.

I've had mine for a few years now.

simple, perfect printer.

[quote name='xycury']Samsung printers are constantly around 50, and the cartridges last about 3000 pages, easily refillable for like $3.

I've had mine for a few years now.

simple, perfect printer.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on the Samsung laser printers. My ml-1710 has served me since '03.

Another Samsung user here. When my first 2510's cartridge ran out, I decided I'd like another one on hand so I wasn't forced to deal with potentially messy refill process on short notice. A new cartridge, with twice the capacity of the 'starter' unit that comes with the printer, was over $70. So I instead bought an entire additional 2510 for $50 and set it up on my sister's PC.

The things are just absurdly inexpensive. The first laser printer I had access to was an Apple LaserWriter. A mere $8,000.

[quote name='JolietJake']I have a color samsung laser printer and it gets constant paper jams, don't know wtf the problem is.[/QUOTE]

Stray fused toner chunks in the works is the usual cause. The problem, if you don't feel inclined to attempt cleaning it yourself, is that most shops will charge a major portin of the purchase price in labor. This is what caused me to give the 1450 I'd gotten in 2002 to Goodwill. It just didn't make sense to get it fixed when new units were so cheap.

If you look around you may be able to find the maintenance documents for the model. This way, if you're about to give up on it, you can try to fix it before declaring it dead.

One thing I ran into on the 2510 feed mechanism, which may be largely the same in your model, is that it works better if the paper tray is kept at least 1/2 to 2/3 full.

I have noticed that the waste toner well gets pretty full, i emptied it once and it did seem to help, didn't completely fix it though. The paper level doesn't seem to effect it. The model i have is the clp-300.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only used the Black and white.. i think it's a 1710 too. Great printer, has in input feeder for envelopes...

I think the newer ones don't have this.

And refilling it is easy, messy but cheap!

I haven't heard much on the color, been looking at some, so it's nice to know someone might have issues with it.

[quote name='62t']any tips on where to get cheap toner?[/quote]

I bought toner on ebay, came in a bottle. Has enough for 2 more refills about 2500-3000 pages.

There are places that you could find that would sell a larger bottle, but I wanted to try out refilling and see if I had to mess with a new cartridge.

I think cartridges for the laser printers are a bit more pricier.

Last time I looked on my printer, it was about 50-70.

We got a brother laser printer on black friday for $50 and its been great. The lady at the checkout counter said that it should only last 7 pages of printing on the cartridge it comes with. We use it regularly and it still hasn't run out since December.

Good printing times....yeah

bread's done
Back