Cheapass Ethics

redrobot

CAGiversary!
With this huge CC clearance and the recent BB sale, what kinds of rules do you all enforce upon yourselves?

I only buy games that I do have an interest in (however small it may be) and will actually play or games that I know a friend would want. If I see more than one copy of a game on the shelf I'll only take 1 because I don't need more than that to enjoy the game. I left two $5 disgaea's behind today.

I'm just interested to see how much the average CAG considers other CAGs when taking advantage of a deal. Not that anyone will see this though, you're probly all too busy posting in the CC clearance thread :wink:

i feel the same way you do..i'm writing down the games i have interest in and going again to my local CC's and picking up what i can

it's not my thing to try to sell or trade..i'm lucky though because i'm in a huge commerce area

Anyone who goes out and buys as many as they can to Ebay them can kiss my ass. I -hope- that CC is smart enough to limit quantities.

A couple wouldn't be so bad, but... armloads? Come on.

on that note, dafoomie, I'd like to see chaoz and other such bargain bin bandits come in and defend their way of sacking the deals

yeah they should at least make it so that it's limit 1 per title. Even frys knows that limits are needed. But CC and BB seem not to care, as long as they make room on the shelfs they are heppy.

I only get games that I or a friend wants unless it's a game like Disgaea. I probaly wouldn't sell them untill the value was really high.

Well, if he's going to sell them on ebay. Say he spends $1500, and he makes $3000, well, isn't that just business. I mean, that would probably be his basic argument.

Personally, I think it's rather petty. I mean, people like that can get rich, but they'll never be wealthy. And they rarely do anything good for society. I mean, look at Donald Trump. He epitomizes that line of thinking. To echo a quote I overheard was in his book, "If I have to fuck somebody to make a million dollars, well, fuck him!" But has he done anything to improve the lives of the world? He may have charities, give to the poor. But he hasn't improved the human condition through some great invention or art. He basically sells dirt.

So, while someone who's ruthless may make some money, and some may even get rich, I would argue they have a certain character missing that will keep them from being truly wealthy. There are many sucessful businessmen who have gained great wealth from their ruthlessness. Bill Gates, Rockerfeller, etc. But there are also others who achieved the same stature like Alexander Grahm Bell. And while that drive ambition and ruthlessness can be a help in business, it can also be a major hindrance at times and lead to failure as often as success.

I think it's just polite to take half of a stack. If there are eight copies of a game or any item, take 4. Then the next purchaser can take 2. Then the next can take 1 and the other take 1.

Now, I broke that today. Went to CC, and there were two copies of Disgaea on the shelf. I actually mulled it over and bought both. One I'm going to sell to make a dollar. But the other I'm going to "sell" to a fellow Cag in DE for no profit if he wants it. Otherwise I'm going to trade for either Ikaruga or Viewtiful Joe. Those were the only games I picked up. But I do plan to go back tomorrow and get Boktai if it is there. Just one copy for me. And maybe one copy of something else if it cates my eye and an exta copy if someone is willing to trade for ikaruga or VJ.

I'd buy up every single Disgaea they had - but I obviously would only purchase a single Zone of the Enders 2, regardless of how many copies.

Capitalist nation. That's pretty much my viewpoint.

this is probably something everyone with a conscious struggles with. buy them all and sell them for profit? but internally, we can tell that doesn't feel right. we might not understand why, but we can feel it. i don't know who said it, or the exact words, but "take only what you need in life, nothing more, nothing in excess."
of course, if we followed this enlightenment, none of us would play games, but i think we can reach a middle ground, taking only the games we will fully enjoy.

In the words of the evil rat from the movie The Rats of Nihm:

"Take what you can, when you can."

I usually just try and get only what I want and a couple to trade for other stuff I want, but if I see a game for sale for 4.99 and it goes for 20$ on ebay I'm going to a grab a few to sell (not many, when I say a few I mean about 1-2). So far on this deal I've bought 10 games, 4 I plan on playing, 3 I play on trading, and 3 I plan to sell. I should make back right about what I paid for the 10. That's usually about all I strive for, just sell enough to break even.

Like I said, in moderation its not bad. But if you're like that guy Chaoz that cleaned out a whole store (the picture of the table full of games), you can kiss my fuckin ass. What store in their right mind would sell that many clearance games to one person?

If anyone else tries that, I hope you get robbed on the way to the car.

i tend to agree with the line of thought to share the cheap love and leave the extra disgaea.

Only thing is I tend to disagree with the guy who says that the donald trumps of the world never do anything good for the world

Look at Carnegie, he raped his employees with a sharpened screwdriver, but then after he amassed his fortune he gave back and made huge public libraries, museums, concert halls, it doesnt really make much sense imo. I guess he figured, well i have all this money, but what sort of legacy will i leave? really bizaire imo

[quote name='dracula']i tend to agree with the line of thought to share the cheap love and leave the extra disgaea.

Only thing is I tend to disagree with the guy who says that the donald trumps of the world never do anything good for the world

Look at Carnegie, he raped his employees with a sharpened screwdriver, but then after he amassed his fortune he gave back and made huge public libraries, museums, concert halls, it doesnt really make much sense imo. I guess he figured, well i have all this money, but what sort of legacy will i leave? really bizaire imo[/quote]

That's true. I did mention charities. But it's not like he invented something personally that enriched the human condition. Now Bill Gates is a ruthless business man. But the products that microsoft makes have enriched the world tremendously, to give an alternative of how ruthlessness can bring about human enrichment. But I would argue that charity and human enrichment, something lasting that adds to the world and affects everyone, is not necessarily the same thing. But the money can help support it. A-la the reinissance. The Medici got wealthy through banking, but that money funded the works of Michelangelo and Galileo, but the medici didn't directly create the telescope or the sistine chapel.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that big business never does anything good. That's frankly stupid. Entrapeneurs do great things every day for humanity. I'm speaking in generalities for brevity but every man, every business, every company is different. Taking carnegie for example, there was a complex man who had complex beliefs and a complex character. To paint him with such generalities would be frankly, unfair. What I'm saying is that in people, as a trait of human character, there is a sense of Ruthlessness. A sense of merceneary. One that will help drive some people to great success. But you find that many times throughout history, certain such ruthlessness also can give nothing back to humanity. Or, the amount of ill that they do in their pursuit of wealth is so negative that it will overshadow any good they perceive. And that this ruthlessness can be just as harmful as it is helpful.

Look at Carnegie, he raped his employees with a sharpened screwdriver, but then after he amassed his fortune he gave back and made huge public libraries, museums, concert halls, it doesnt really make much sense imo. I guess he figured, well i have all this money, but what sort of legacy will i leave? really bizaire imo

A bit off-topic, but...
His motivations are well documented. He wanted to be remembered, and in a positive way, not for what he really was. Look at the Nobel Prize. It's held in very high regard, but do you know how that started? Alfred Nobel invented dynamite and sold explosives as weapons. When his brother died, the headline read, "The merchant of death is dead." So he named two prizes after himself, one for Science, and one for Peace.

Trump is doing something similar, he names a lot of things after himself. He's building a huge, world class golf course and naming it after himself. He names huge buildings after himself. In a way, he and the others wanted to achieve immortality. And in a way, people like Nobel, Carnegie, and Rockefeller have. We don't remember those people as the ruthless, cold-hearted people they were in life. Trump is trying to do the same. Bill Gates too, but so far only in a very small way.

If someone is buying a bunch of copies to sell on eBay, I already dislike them. Not for trying to make a buck but because eBay is already a haven of stupidity, and selling a $5 game to some dumbass for $40 just breeds more stupidity.

I have bought multiple bargain games once, and that was only one copy for someone who didn't have access to the sale.

I don't see why people go crazy over these sales. In both the BB and CC sales, 80%+ of the games have been garbage. I looked at the huge list of games on sale this time around and found maybe 10 that I'd pay $5 for, and I own several of those 10 already.

The only one that bugs me is Wild Arms 3. I have seen this at $5 a couple of times now and I refuse to pay the $15-$30 that I see it for everywhere else.

[quote name='CTLesq']In the words of the evil rat from the movie The Rats of Nihm:

"Take what you can, when you can."[/quote]

'evil' being the key word.

"Live not in the world as it is, but how it COULD be."

aside from all the philosophy though, i am very greatful for this deal, and how many other people it has helped.

bread's done
Back