CheapAssGamer Trading Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
After the recent fiasco, I thought I'd try to set down a basic trading guidelines for all users.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN TRADES AND ACTIONS

I cant stress this enough. As much as everyone wishes, all users aren't law obeying citizens that are good people.

Basic tips for all traders (Borrowed from GameTZ):

Be Very Clear - Spell out exactly what the deal is before agreeing to it. Ask about the condition of their goods and tell them about the condition of yours: Does it have a box? Does it have a manual? Is it scratched? Is is pirated/burned/bootleg? (Pirating is not allowed!) Discuss the mailing method beforehand. The postal service charges by weight and distance, and there are a variety of ways to send a package.

Be Prompt - Mail your package when you agreed to mail it. If you do not have the items (i.e., they are part of another trade you haven't yet received, etc.), don't make the deal. If you fall behind and are slow to ship, be sure to tell the other party as soon as the problem or delay occurs so that they are informed of the situation. Good communication is important to making smooth deals.

Send an Email/PM After Mailing - The day you mail the package, send the other trader an email saying so. This will help them know when to expect the package. Ask the other trader to do this for you. Let them know as soon as you receive the package they sent.

Check to Make Sure the Item Works - As soon as you receive the item you should check to make sure it's in working order: Is the package damaged (dents, holes, etc.)? If it's hardware of some kind, does it work okay? If it's software, is the media in good condition? ALWAYS check these things as soon as you receive the item; don't wait until weeks down the road or your story may be less believable.

Save All Emails - Save all emails you get from and send to the other trader. Keep them at least until the deal is complete. They can be very helpful later if something goes wrong.

Be Honest - Never tell someone that you have sent an item when you have not. When the item does not arrive, or when it arrives late - they will be upset and may take action against you.

Try a "Background Check" - If the other trader is a GameTZ member, they may have a list of completed trades. Contact the people they traded with. You can also search for the person's name and e-mail address in Google Groups. It may show you their past newsgroup posts or posts about them.

Check Their Address - Try to finding a person's address and phone number by entering their name in places like AnyWho, NetFind, SwitchBoard, or Yahoo! People Search (Use Yahoo/Google to find the sites). You can also search for their name, email address, and physical address on the Bad Trader Reports page and places like Troll Hunters (www.trollhunters.com).

Exchange Phone Numbers - A phone number can help in finding other information about the person if you are cheated. Also, for additional security, call the person before making the trade.

Use Proper Packaging - Securely package the item. Packages can be mishandled while in transit, so use a solid box with packing material. This doesn't have to cost you anything. The US Postal Service will provide priority mail boxes for free (provided you promise to use them ONLY for Priority Mail) and deliver them to your house for free! Just add some newspaper, packing peanuts, or bubble wrap to the inside to keep your goods from sliding around. Padded Envelopes are also fine, but a solid box is best.

Choose Your Mailing Method Wisely
The US Postal Service (USPS) offers a wide variety of shipment methods for packages. Here's a brief explanation of some of them:

Registered Mail requires that every person handling the package, including the trader on the other end, sign for the package. Pricing starts around $7.50.

Express Mail provides some insurance for the item being shipped, is quick (usually next day w/in the USA), and you can track the package online (see below). The recipient must also sign for the package. Pricing starts around $11.

Certified Mail w/ Return Receipt requires the recipient to sign for the package. You can also add Insurance to this method for a small additional fee. Pricing starts around $3 in addition to postage.

Priority Mail offers shipping times of 2-3 days on average, though sometimes it can take longer. Pricing starts around $4. You can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation with this method.

First Class Mail offers a shipping time of 3-5 days on average. You can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation, as well as insurance, with this method.

Media Mail offers a shipping time of about one week, though it can sometimes take longer. Shipping costs are about half those of Priority Mail, starting around $1.33. You can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation, as well as insurance, with this method.

Delivery Confirmation - For a small fee (about $0.40-0.50) you can get a "Delivery Confirmation" number on First Class packages, as well as Priority Mail and Media Mail that will allow you to verify when and where an item was delivered. If you ship using Priority Mail and print your label using the USPS online form, you get Delivery Confirmation for free!

Signature Confirmation - You can get "Signature Confirmation" on Priority Mail and Media Mail that will allow you to verify when and where an item was delivered, as well as viewing a scan of the signature of the person who received the package.

You can track Express Mail packages, as well as Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation packages online during and after delivery. It sometimes takes 1-2 days for a tracking number to get into the system, so don't be alarmed if you can't track it immediately.

Some traders also use United Parcel Service (UPS) and FedEx to ship packages. These methods are generally more expensive than those offered by the USPS, but in some ways they are more reliable and faster. You can track these packages here during and after delivery.

Get Insurance - For large trades (especially anything involving hardware), get insurance on the shipment. This helps avoid disputes if something does not work when it arrives at the other end or doesn't arrive at all for some reason!

Avoid Sending Cash - If you have money involved in the trade, DO NOT SEND CASH THROUGH THE MAIL. If the cash is lost or stolen, the trader who sent the cash is just out of luck. Instead, send a check or money order, use an online payment system such as PayPal or c2it, or ship via COD.

If a seller is unsure about the reputation of a buyer that wants to pay using a check, then the buyer should send a check, and the seller should hold the goods until the check clears (usually 7-14 days). If the buyer never receives the item, he can get any needed info about the seller from the cashed check. If the seller never receives the check, he hasn't lost anything. This system protects both parties. Be careful, however, if your checks list very personal information that you wouldnt want others to know.

Know the Law - The Mail Fraud and False Representation Statutes. (http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/statutes.htm)

Avoid Big Deals - Don't trade multiple items or pay large amounts of money in a single trade, especially when you're just starting out. If you want to make a big trade with someone, do it in several small parts.

Relax - If something goes wrong, it's not the end of the world.

If you see a possible trade that you're interested in, send a Private Message or Email to that person. Please discuss things over there where it is more private.

If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. If someone thinks they can get $40 for GTA3, let them believe that. There is no need to make a rude comment.

Communication is the most important part of trading. Without it, things can get nasty.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to post it. I'd be glad to add/remove things.[/b]

A thought: if your personal checks have identifying info like driver's license or social security #, use a money order. While identity theft probably isn't a big issue now, as the community grows it may become a concern.

In regards to packaging, using padded envelopes work just fine, in the 20+ trades I've done between here and TGN, I've always used padded envelopes for games, and there has never been a problem. Also, another mailing method that wasn't mentioned is 1st class. It takes 3-5 days, sometimes 2, but don't count on it. It can use DC and SC, and it costs $2-3. One other thing I think should be mentioned here is when someone lists a price, don't go crapping on their thread. If you're interested, make another offer via PM or email, don't ruin their threads.

Just my two cents. I always put Delivery Confirmation on anything I trade here. So when you send that PM saying "it's in the mail" you can also say, here track the package with this number...

If I may add something.

I generally am wary towards posters who just registered the day that they put their list up and/or whose first few posts involves them putting up a tradelist. As a general rule of thumb, I find that I am more trusting to the regulars with higher post count.

Don't be afraid to use your feedback for you. You've earned it. If someone with 0 feedback wanted you to send first even if you have 10+, then you have a right to be suspicious.

To sum it up - If there is even a tiniest doubt in your mind while doing the trade, DON'T do it.

Here are some more tips.

You can get DC on First Class mail for $0.1 by using(Thanks JibbaJabba):

http://www.usps.com/shippingassistant/instructions.htm

You have to download the USPS Shipping Assistant, just click the link in the little box that says download.
Register( it will ask for a business name but just put something in it), follow the instructions sign in and begin.

If you ship priority, you can order free priority boxes and tape from www.usps.com. If you use their online click-n-ship you get free delivery confirmation on priority packages.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. If someone thinks they can get $40 for GTA3, let them believe that. There is no need to make a rude comment.[/quote]

Where's the fun in that? There's ALWAYS a need for a rude comment.

[quote name='Diiz']Very thorough there Brolly. Looks good, I just hope people actually take the time to read it.[/quote]

Same here. I also put a link to it in the "Please Read First!" thread at the top, so hopefully we wont see too many other problems.

As the victim of the newest fiasco, please heed my warnings to be very careful. I used all procedures. I checked the history of the seller, shipped with a means of tracking, and kept history of all our exchanges. However, nothing in the world can prepare you for a sneaky seller. Just please follow all these steps, and always keep a record. Don't end up like me, or anyone else that either got screwed or almost got screwed.

1. I made a checklist of how to leave feedback if you think that might be worthwhile to add to the list, Brolly.

2. Yea, please link to the fiasco so those of us in the dark can learn what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back