Cheapest Blu-ray player?

Sony BDP-S350 will be $179 at Sears and Kmart as a doorbuster.

Wal-Mart is supposed to have a Magnavox player on sale for $128

There's a BB currently that's currently $229, with $100 worth of coupons in the box. It's their Insignia brand, which I believe is just a Profile 1.1 player.

I would wait a bit more after black friday. I have noticed a pattern that most the black friday stuff goes down in price a few weeks later around or after x-mas.

The panasonic bd-35 comes highly rated by cnet but it is 300 bucks.

The Sony S350 is $199 at MacMall now too. It's probably a better machine than the Magnavox.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The panasonic bd-35 comes highly rated by cnet but it is 300 bucks.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm hoping for a deal on the BD35 by the end of the year. I think you can find it for $249 or lower now, but I'm holding out for closer to (or sub-) $200.

What I want is IR on my ps3 but ir2bt's new device is $150. For that I'd be better off buying 1 of these players! is the bd35 better than the s350 or are they about the same?

[quote name='h0mi']What I want is IR on my ps3 but ir2bt's new device is $150. For that I'd be better off buying 1 of these players! is the bd35 better than the s350 or are they about the same?[/QUOTE]

Buy one of the cheap 3rd party remotes for the PS3. One of them comes with an IR plug-in device. It's about $20 new, but you can find one for close to $10. I have one on mine, combined with the Harmony 520 remote, and it works like a champ.

Just ordered the Sharp for my 'rents. Ebates gives 4% back right now, so that cuts down on tax.

I f I happen to find a better deal before Xmas, I'll just return it, but $180 seems good for this.

[quote name='misbitski']Just ordered the Sharp for my 'rents. Ebates gives 4% back right now, so that cuts down on tax.

I f I happen to find a better deal before Xmas, I'll just return it, but $180 seems good for this.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... extra 10% off tonight only via a sears.com friends & family sale. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Ack, it's out of stock, but doesn't tell you until you complete checkout. Nice, Sears :(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='misbitski']Buy one of the cheap 3rd party remotes for the PS3. One of them comes with an IR plug-in device. It's about $20 new, but you can find one for close to $10. I have one on mine, combined with the Harmony 520 remote, and it works like a champ.[/quote]

None of those turn on the ps3... the nyko thing isnt something I want.

[quote name='h0mi']None of those turn on the ps3... the nyko thing isnt something I want.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yeah, the power on thing. It's the one weakness. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal for me, since it turns on when you pop in a disc. You can turn it off through the menu system. It's less of a nuisance then you'd think. Personally, I like saving $100+ and just using the combo I have, but to each their own.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Hmmm... extra 10% off tonight only via a sears.com friends & family sale. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Ack, it's out of stock, but doesn't tell you until you complete checkout. Nice, Sears :([/QUOTE]

I didn't get the 10% off, unless it's a code you're supposed to enter. Oh well.

[quote name='Run L1ke H3LL']Anyone got any good deals, my dad wants one for Christmas from my mom... Maybe I can convince her to get a PS3... Hows the bluray on that?[/quote]

The Wal*Mart Magnavox will be $128 from 5 AM until 11 AM on BF.

All the research I've done indicates that this is a solid machine which (if I have the cash) I may jump at to get me started.

I was going to buy the Sony BDP-S350 on BF for $180 at Sears, but have since decided not to. With seeing recent price trends in bluray hardware, I can probably pick up a nice bluray player in a couple months for under $100.

[quote name='speedy1961']The Wal*Mart Magnavox will be $128 from 5 AM until 11 AM on BF.

All the research I've done indicates that this is a solid machine which (if I have the cash) I may jump at to get me started.[/quote]

I bought this player and main reasons were price, faster than the low-end Sony Blu-ray in terms of loading and so far it's been a great purchase. Granted, it's Blu-ray profile 1.1 but if you want 2.0 for the BD live, then the better purchase is a PS3 because you can keep on downloading patches to update for who knows how long and you have the hard drive.

But for what I need it, the Magnavox gets the job done. $128 is very good! Make sure you grab an HDMI or HDMI to DV convertor as well (if your TV supports it).

[quote name='Run L1ke H3LL']Although it's cheap I still want a player with all the bells and whistles... I'll keep looking.[/quote]
Whats it missing? Is it a 1.1?

Walmart will only have 10 per store and many stores wont have them at all according to reports by some walmart employees

Best I've seen is the Sony BDP S350 for $150 with free shipping from www.sonystyle.com, with coupon code "DISCOVER50BR" which gives $50 off the $199.99 sale price. Found the deal on Slick Deals a bit ago.

[quote name='blackbird3216']what about at this price?
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...-Blu-ray+Disc+Player+1080p-Video&dpno=7701862
Do you think it'll last? How does it compare to other players?(ex the Panasonic BD35)[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a steal. I just received that player (paid almost 20 bucks more on WOOT), and I'm very impressed with it. Compared to the BD35 or the Sony S350 (which there's also an amazing deal on, see above), the memorex doesn't have an ethernet port, so no BD Live functionality (i.e., no taking your discs online for special features).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Best I've seen is the Sony BDP S350 for $150 with free shipping from www.sonystyle.com, with coupon code "DISCOVER50BR" which gives $50 off the $199.99 sale price. Found the deal on Slick Deals a bit ago.[/quote] Yeah, I just ordered one. It's backordered but that price is :hot:.

I wonder if they'll fill all these backorders, especially given the coupon. I wouldn't count on it as an Xmas gift. GREAT DEAL, however.

[quote name='blackbird3216']Should I get a standalone player, or a PS3, which would be around $190 after 30% cashback?[/quote]

if youre a gamer, then go with ps3.

if not, standalone player is your best bet IMO
icon_smile.gif

[quote name='gkrykewy']I wonder if they'll fill all these backorders, especially given the coupon. I wouldn't count on it as an Xmas gift. GREAT DEAL, however.[/quote] 1 day backorder for me. I got a tracking number yesterday. I still have to wait for Xmas though.

[quote name='sickness']if youre a gamer, then go with ps3.

if not, standalone player is your best bet IMO
icon_smile.gif
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I went standalone as I don't come close to playing all the games I'd like to on the 360 so the last thing I need is another console. And a standalone was cheaper, doesn't need an adapter to work with my Harmony remote and looks better in the home theater set up.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Best I've seen is the Sony BDP S350 for $150 with free shipping from www.sonystyle.com, with coupon code "DISCOVER50BR" which gives $50 off the $199.99 sale price. Found the deal on Slick Deals a bit ago.[/quote]
This is a great deal! Unfortunately when I input the coupon code, it says it is invalid. Was it for a limited time before BF?

you will get 30% off by using the microsoft live search (refunded thorugh paypal) and get it for about 168 bucks

I am cheap, that is why I am here. I gotta say that my one PS3 will have to do for now until prices get a bit cheaper. I would like a stand alone for the living room with 2.0 profile and all the works for under $100. I was thinking it might happen this holiday.

This is a good deal and is very tempting as I starting buying more and more cheaper BD movies.

bread's done
Back