Cheapest place to get Anime?

rightstuff.com usually has weekly deals and bargain bins all the time, some decent prices with 3 dollar economy shipping.

Amazon runs the occasional great deal.

I find gohastings.com is a great place to get (used) anime, they sell lots of individual volumes for .89 to one or two dollars, so when they have a shipping deal (since shipping usually kills) you can easily put together collections of shorter series for really cheap.

If you're not opposed to digital copies of anime I use http://www.anime-access.com/ to snag whatever I want.

I checked and I was able to find:

http://www.anime-access.com/anime/D/Devil_May_Cry_%28TV%29 - Devil May Cry
http://www.anime-access.com/anime/E/El_Cazador_de_la_Bruja_(TV) - El Cazador
http://www.anime-access.com/anime/S/Shijou_Saikyou_no_Deshi_Kenichi_(TV) - Kenichi

Though the last link made me have to log in to view it. Hope this helps. I think a lot of its free to download, but the speed is slower ad only one at a time. I go ahead and pay the $5/month to download as much as I want at all speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I'm looking for DVD boxsets instead. Thanks though.

Rightstuf isn't bad but you could find cheaper elsewhere from what I gathered.

Amazon really has some good prices on anime. I never used amazon before so I have a quick question. I searched and found what I want, http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...TF8&s=dvd&qid=1298584215&sr=8-5&condition=new
there are a ton of different listings though. Is it like ebay where just some people overprice it? Because they have some for really cheap, so how do I know I'm not getting some knockoff burnt disc?

No worries man, I figured its what you meant, but I thought I'd supply the link. I understand too, I love having the cases all lined up and looking pretty.

As far as eBay? Yeah you gotta be careful with the crap that goes on there. Most of the Anime comes from places like Malaysia and are printed copy covers and DVDr's.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Amazon really has some good prices on anime. I never used amazon before so I have a quick question. I searched and found what I want, http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...TF8&s=dvd&qid=1298584215&sr=8-5&condition=new
there are a ton of different listings though. Is it like ebay where just some people overprice it? Because they have some for really cheap, so how do I know I'm not getting some knockoff burnt disc?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the price can be all over the place for some of the OOP stuff. I've also noticed that if a certain seller's copy(like 2nd cheapest copy) is sold, that the seller w/ the cheapest copy will jack his price up after it's sold.

There's also some where it'll cheaper to order new instead of used. Be careful with those as some of those can be bootlegs. Yeah, even Amazon has bootlegs on there.

amazon is usually the best deal. rightstuf.com will SOMETIMES beat their prices, but if you don't qualify for free shipping (harder to do on rightstuf, and if you have amazon prime this is a moot point anyway) then it usually kills it. Add stuff to an amazon wish list and check it daily. The prices flux a lot and they have random crazy sales fairly frequently.

I'm planning to order Black Blood Brothers, and DMC off Amazon right now. I want to order Death Note but I'd rather wait until a complete series releases.

Thanks for that tip about the wishlist, Zaku. So if I add something to my wishlist, it will tell me when prices drop? That sounds great. I'll also check up on the Amazon anime weekly sales that someone pointed out in this thread.

I hope Amazon is the real deal. If I get some printed fake me out cover, and a DVDr disc, I'm going to go nuts!

It doesn't actually tell you. You need to check. It just makes it easy to because everything you're interested in is all right there in a row. I check it once a day to see what prices are down, easy enough.

Amazon is the largest online retailer that I can think of, and beloved by many on this site. My entire anime collection dating back to childhood, and a large chunk of my game collection have come from them, they're legit. lol

[quote name='Capocci 007']I hope Amazon is the real deal. If I get some printed fake me out cover, and a DVDr disc, I'm going to go nuts![/QUOTE]
I am honestly confused as to how in 2011 you can be so unfamiliar with who/what Amazon is. If the item page says "Ships from and sold by Amazon" or "Sold by seller/store name and Fulfilled by Amazon" then it is coming directly from Amazon. If it says "Ships from and sold by seller/store name" then it is coming directly from an individual seller; if by some chance someone is dumb enough to sell grey market/bootleg shit this way all you have to do is report it and Amazon will take care of it and refund you.

Buying from Right Stuf helps to fund Nozomi. If prices are a dollar or two higher to Amazon that's one thing to keep in mind if you care about Nozomi's upcoming releases and potential future releases.

If you're looking for any Anime on blu-ray, I can't recommend the price tracker at blu-ray.com enough. Not only do you get notifications whenever an item hits your target price range on Amazon, but you can actually see an item's entire price history. This is a great way of gauging how good a sale really is. You can see at a glance if something is the cheapest it's ever been, or if it has a history of dipping below that. They are a great review resource as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?genre=Anime

[quote name='Capocci 007']I want to order Death Note but I'd rather wait until a complete series releases.[/QUOTE]

Don't wait! That is by far the best anime I've ever seen. I loved that show to death. Never has an anime so thoroughly pulled me into its storyline. The characters are amazingly well-written and acted (even in the dub), and the storyline is so well thought-out that you are constantly wanting to know what happens next. It doesn't help that each episode ends on a cliff-hanger (well usually). I would recommend Death Note over Devil May Cry any day.

[quote name='BustaUppa']If you're looking for any Anime on blu-ray, I can't recommend the price tracker at blu-ray.com enough. Not only do you get notifications whenever an item hits your target price range on Amazon, but you can actually see an item's entire price history. This is a great way of gauging how good a sale really is. You can see at a glance if something is the cheapest it's ever been, or if it has a history of dipping below that. They are a great review resource as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?genre=Anime[/QUOTE]

This is a very good tip. Like with domestic TV releases and even some movies research is important when it comes to anime on Blu-ray; be sure to use IMDb/Wikipedia/Google to research if it's an upconvert or not and then try and make a comparison to the DVD version to determine if it's worth it. The last part is subjective to a degree and a personal preference. I think FLCL looks alright myself but Slayers Revolution and Evolution-R were pretty crappy upconverts.

Firefox has an add-on called PriceDrop that lets you track items on Amazon. It works on items only sold by Amazon and not third parties. I'd be wary of buying things off of Amazon Marketplace, I've heard of sellers shipping bootlegs.

[quote name='Darknuke']Don't wait! That is by far the best anime I've ever seen. I loved that show to death. Never has an anime so thoroughly pulled me into its storyline. The characters are amazingly well-written and acted (even in the dub), and the storyline is so well thought-out that you are constantly wanting to know what happens next. It doesn't help that each episode ends on a cliff-hanger (well usually). I would recommend Death Note over Devil May Cry any day.[/QUOTE]

Death Note was amazing until about halfway through and totally limped to the end. Vastly disappointed me.

Don't put stuff on your Amazon wishlist. As far as I know, if you do that it can't be a gold box quick pick. Just browse what you are looking for, then check "your amazon.com" and click "browsing history". Should all be in a neat list (and by category too) for you.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Don't put stuff on your Amazon wishlist. As far as I know, if you do that it can't be a gold box quick pick. Just browse what you are looking for, then check "your amazon.com" and click "browsing history". Should all be in a neat list (and by category too) for you.[/QUOTE]

I've got stuff in my goldbox that was on my wishlist, but from my experience pre-orders usually show up more often in my goldbox if they're not on my wishlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']Death Note was amazing until about halfway through and totally limped to the end. Vastly disappointed me.[/QUOTE]

It didn't limp to the end. It train wrecked. When the coup de grâce occurs the series should of ended right there.

Cheapest recommendation I can give you is borrow or trade with your friends. I have given up on buying anime only because every couple years its re-released on another medium or its been remastered.

[quote name='Shimrra']Cheapest recommendation I can give you is borrow or trade with your friends. I have given up on buying anime only because every couple years its re-released on another medium or its been remastered.[/QUOTE]

My friends don't watch anime lol.

I don't care for the re-releases they do. Once you buy it once why would you buy it again?

I've found a great seller selling on Amazon with cheap anime. I've bought DMC, and BBB from them, and now I'm waiting for El Cazador de la Bruja complete series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/selle...LRJO&marketplaceSeller=0&seller=APZB0IDP1EYQW

The anime on my wishlist are School Rumble complete series, Death Note boxset 1 and 2, Dragon Box sets, Dragon Ball seasons 1-5 (unless they come out with Dragon Ball dragon boxes), Kenichi though I'll probably wait til a complete series comes out, Vampire Knight, and Trinity Blood.

I definitely recommend price comparing rightstuf.com and amazon.com whenever you're shopping for anime. This is especially true for me since I'm in a state that Amazon automatically charges sales tax for.

bread's done
Back